WOW! Very Honest Look At Leung in New Article | Golden Skate

WOW! Very Honest Look At Leung in New Article

lutzskate

On the Ice
The test of wills between Mira Leung and her coach, Joanne McLeod, hasn’t declared a winner yet

The author of this article didn't hold back. He called it like it is.

"While citing a lack of energy for her poor skate Saturday, Leung rejected the suggestion that perhaps she should have arrived in Tokyo sooner than Tuesday night for a competition that began Friday. She elected, on her own, to remain in Canada while the rest of the team left to get acclimated to the time zones and the environment. She didn’t have any practices on the main competition rink — her teammate, Joannie Rochette, who finished 10th, only had one — but Leung said that wasn’t a factor.

"No, because I skated a clean [short] program," she said Saturday, still refusing to acknowledge that she under-rotated a double Axel. The judges said otherwise, and so did instant replay.

But Leung is hard-headed, which is an asset when competing, but not in self-evaluation. Skating officials have long felt that she "cheats" — doesn’t fully rotate — a number of her triple jumps, and at the international level, she gets nailed for it.

"I did want her to come earlier, particulary the two days the practices were in the main venue," said McLeod, her coach from Burnaby 8-Rinks, who "fired" Leung after last season but reconciled in the fall.

"She’s well-conditioned, and she skated through her programs in practices, so she shouldn’t have been dead-tired in the middle."

The article goes on to say that she had pain in her left heel but her coach didn't know about it until the short program. Seems that there's a definite lack of communication and a definite lack of respect on both sides.

I stated this in another post, but I will restate it here. I think you'll see Mira leave Joanne Mcleod again. She definitley needs an attitude adjustment. She needs to take a lesson from Jennifer Robinson. When she finished in the bottom of the pack, she didn't blame the judges and she didn't blame her coaches. She realized what she needed to do to improve and she worked her *ss off to do it. She recognized the value in self-reflection. Mira's problem is that she thinks she's better than she is. She's got a lot of work to do - stronger jumps, better stroking technique (no "bobbing"), and a new stylist who will get rid of those bangs! The question is, will she listen to anyone? Perhaps she should go and work with Doug Leigh, who helped Jen Robinson improve so much - or maybe she should go and train in the States where the standard of skating is much higher than where she has been training. Brian Orser seems to have done great things with Yu-Na, although I wouldn't wish Mira on Brian!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
She needs to go to a coach who won't take her BS and will kick her mom to the curb. Or maybe she needs someone who'll allow her mom to be part of the skating, but won't let her mom control it--someone like Richard Callaghan. Richard Callaghan has also been known to FIRE skaters--like when he told Todd to leave the sport and come back when he's ready.

I would have suggested Frank Carroll, but after Frank having to deal with Chris Bowman twenty years ago, I don't think he wants to take on another hothead.

Jutta Mueller of Germany would be good--she didn't take any nonsense from her skaters.

Of course, a coach can't be too tough--I heard of Julia Lavrenchuk's former coach in Ukraine being too tough and it drove her to bulimia.

There's gotta be a tough coach out there that can take on Mira and tame that girl. Before it's too late for her career.

rain

Record Breaker
I think it's all on Mira at this point. She is 18 years old and needs to take control of her skating in the sense that she will recognize the need to do as a coach tells her and not let her mother take over. A tougher coach isn't the answer, but a more willing student.

Alsace

On the Ice
Richard Callaghan has also been known to FIRE skaters--like when he told Todd to leave the sport and come back when he's ready.

I would have suggested Frank Carroll, but after Frank having to deal with Chris Bowman twenty years ago, I don't think he wants to take on another hothead.

When did Callaghan tell Todd he was unfocused?
Frank apparently fires skaters, too, if Goebel's testimony is true.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Mira's problem is that she thinks she's better than she is. She's got a lot of work to do - stronger jumps, better stroking technique (no "bobbing"), and a new stylist who will get rid of those bangs!!

Well, at least Mira has gotten rid of the bangs since Canadians. That alone makes a huge difference in helping her look more attractive and mature on the ice. Now if only your other two suggestions could be as easy to fix.

As for a possible new coach for Mira, I like the idea of her working with Richard Callaghan. He's done great things with both Jennifer Robinson and Lesley Hawker, and as blue dog said, he doesn't seem to take BS from his skaters...or their parents.

But if Mira doesn't want to leave the Vancouver area, I'd love for her to at least spend a few months or even weeks training with a different coach in a different part of the country far from her mother. I think even that would do her a world of good, not only in terms of improving her skating, but also to give her an opportunity to be more independent and socialize more with other skaters/people her age.

What do we know of her mother? Is it based on fact or speculation?

Personally, I've only ever heard rumours from various Internet boards/reading lists. I usually try not to form an opinion about a skater based only on Internet rumours, but if even half of the things I've read about Mira and her mom are actually true, I feel very badly for Mira indeed. :frown:

I think next season will definitely be a huge turning point for Mira. I hope her experience at Worlds this year will be a wakeup call to her to finally put some serious effort into improving her artistry and skating/jump technique. I also hope once Mira turns 18, she can start making more decisions on her own and being more independent from her mother. Once that happens, we'll be able to figure out how much the choices Mira has made and the less-than-gracious things she's said throughout her career have truly been her own and how much they've been influenced by her mother.

If those two things don't happen very soon, I'm afraid Mira just might pull an Ann Patrice McDonaugh, go on to university and quit skating altogether. Although considering some of the things I've read about her mother's influence over her skating career, Mira sadly might be better off in the long run if she does just that.

Alsace

On the Ice
What did Goebel say?
This doesn't contain an exact quote but does give the idea that Carroll let Goebel go. I think it was an on-air statement by Gannon that gave me that impression.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/winter/2005-01-14-short-programs_x.htm

In the midst of all this, Goebel was moving cross-country. Frank Carroll, his coach of four years, had told him in November that it was time they went their separate ways, and both agreed that Goebel should work with Weisiger.

Though Goebel was surprised by Carroll's decision, it's turned out to be for the best. Always a spectacular jumper — he's not called "The Quad King" for nothing — he's truly become a skater.