Yagudin is writing his autobiography | Golden Skate

Yagudin is writing his autobiography

Evdokia

On the Ice
Thanks for that article!:love: It's great to see him enjoying this new part of his life and that he already has some interesting new tasks in front of him.:)

And learning Russian with Alexej Yagudin - that sounds good!;)
If I had not learnt it in school yet, I would start with it now!:D

citrus

Rinkside
Not too surprising about an autobio/bio as many skaters have them.

I was checking out books on figure skating via the local library online catalogue and found that Michelle, Tara, Sarah, Dorothy, Peggy, Janet, Brian B. Torvill & Dean and even Nancy K. have an autobio or bio.

"Problem" about figure skating books are that 99.9% are located in the juvenile section. I don't think I like the need to go there & pretend I'm a grandfather of a non-existent grandchild. The thing is whether the books were written for the "juvenile" level.

p.s. are figure skating books in the juvenile section of the libraries elsewhere?

citrus said:
Not too surprising about an autobio/bio as many skaters have them.

I was checking out books on figure skating via the local library online catalogue and found that Michelle, Tara, Sarah, Dorothy, Peggy, Janet, Brian B. Torvill & Dean and even Nancy K. have an autobio or bio./B]

Autobiographies rarely get into meaty items in the subject's life. It is all glossed over. I've read enough autobiographies of ballet dancers, and quite frankly, they have nothing to say except for Maya Plitseskaya. It's a real biography and done at the proper age.

IMO, Autobiographies or Biographies of anyone under the age of 50 is a strong reach-out for acceptance and remembrance.

Nothing against Yags but I would like to know how it feels as an Oly champ after 40 years. What happened after th gold?

Oh, well, I am a curmudgeon, but I hope the books sells.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I like Yagudin's skating, but his autobiography is one book I am NOT gonig to buy. Just don't see what can be so very interesting in there. I agree with Joe that it would be interesting if he wrote on in 30 years. But then it will probably be Ya-who?:laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz:

Well, I really enjoyed reading Karen Magnussen's autobiography. The book only dealt with her skating and competitive life culminating with her world championship in 1973.

I also enjoyed Brian Orser's "A skaters Life" as well as Kurt Browning's book and
Brasseur & Eisler's book.

However, Toller Cranston writes the best books about figure skating and skaters he has known over the years.

Good for Yags.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
yags is only 23

granted he and others make their fame early in life in FS, but there is so much these fine athletes have yet to experience. I agree with age 40.

If Orser had a book (does he?) out now, I would rather read that than any 23 year old skater's book. Problem is they don't usually want their honest memoirs out there.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I am sure Yags, has a lot to say about skating and his life as a competitor, plus his life growing up in Russia.

No, of course, at 23, his life is just beginning, but in the skating world that is considered older and a lot of living packed into a short career. Maybe, he will pen his second book later in life.

Silver Lining

Rinkside
Alexei's autobiography has been finished for awhile now and will come out in Japan next fall, I think. I don't know if they have an English publisher yet. I'd be interested in his autobiography because I don't know much about his childhood.
About two years ago when Alexei's site was redesigned, there was a new link that said "Alexei teaches Russian". I think I read that a fan asked him about that and he said he wasn't interested, so it's no surprise that there still are no lessons.

Writing events in the skating world in chronological order would make a reference book not an autobiograpy, or better a magazine article.

Autobiographies tend to be sweet. Can you imagine a skater actually revealing something he/she wants to keep secret? I don't mean cheating a salchow. Has the figure skater of 23 actually lived long enough to have developed feelings of life other than skating? What were his real feelings for his/her competitors? What prompted him/her to go into business. How much drive was there to get romantically involved. Marriage, Children, Divorce?

Yags' skating is admired by this generation. He has had some misfortune with injuries and the law. His romantic life, if any, is kept rather quiet. His future at the moment seems to be to remain in figure skating somehow.

What else can this boy tell us about himself? that we don't already know? I'll bet his follow=up book at 45 will be much more interesting.

Joe

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Joesitz:

Autobiographies tend to be sweet. Can you imagine a skater actually revealing something he/she wants to keep secret? I don't mean cheating a salchow.

Not necessarily so. A figure skaters' competitive life is not such an easy road. The dedication and discipline it takes to compete year in and year out is not ever mentioned. These skaters make a lot of sacrifices to keep competing. Naturally any book about a skater is going to centre around his/her skating experiences on and off the ice. That is their life. Still I find their stories an interesting read. Sometimes they mention another competitor and perhaps some interesting detail about that skater. LLoyd and Isabelle's book contained many touching moment. They talked about their "highs" and "lows" with the sport and how they struggled just to keep skating - financially. They also talked about each other and how they felt. Also, when Isabelle's dad passed away, how it effected her and when they won the worlds. I really enjoyed their book and gained more insight to the lives of a pair team.

Personally, I don't want to know everything about a skater. I do however, enjoy reading about how they started figure skating and about their training and competitive lives.

It's not rocket science nor is it "War and Peace." It's just a good read about a great skater. Who knows maybe Alexis' book will inspire some other young skater. Remember "you can't judge a book by it's cover!"

:D

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
count me as a fellow curmudgeon who prefers autobiographies from folks who've lived a bit more. Even my absolute favorite, MK - I borrowed my friend's copy of "Heart of a Champion" and didn't even finish it - she wrote it right after her 1st Wolrd Champion year!!

I'm not saying that Alexei's book won't be entertaining, or that I won't read it, just that I do prefer an autobiography to be a full reflection backwards - and 23 years old seems like Yagudin has a LOT more life to live!!

guinevere

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was checking out books on figure skating via the local library online catalogue and found that Michelle, Tara, Sarah, Dorothy, Peggy, Janet, Brian B. Torvill & Dean and even Nancy K. have an autobio or bio.

So Joe if you think that Alexei's book would be better at age 40-50, what was or is the interest in the books above. I hardly think that Tara, Michelle and Sarah fall into the, Oh I have so much wisdom category. I guess I don't see what the difference would be. Can you explain?

Dee

citrus

Rinkside
Dee4707 said:
So Joe if you think that Alexei's book would be better at age 40-50, what was or is the interest in the books above. I hardly think that Tara, Michelle and Sarah fall into the, Oh I have so much wisdom category. I guess I don't see what the difference would be. Can you explain?

Dee

Ahhh, I'm the dummy who made the remark; and as a dummy, I wanted to find out more about figure skating & came across the mentioned books.

I still cannot tell what jump a skater will be doing as they all are skating backwards before the jump....

Silver Lining

Rinkside
There are some books in the sports section of the library such as 'Figure Skating for Dummies' by Kristi Yamaguchi. Also, many of the books in the juvenile section are geared toward grade 11 and 12 students and are written in everyday language ie. they're not all pop-up books.:laugh: Here's a link which explains some of the jumps for novices, although unfortunately the video links don't work anymore;

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/skating/skating.html

Hi Dee = I have never read any of those books and have no intentions of doing so. I can't believe any of those yung-uns have anything to say that can not be put in a magazine article if it hasn't already been dealt with in a magazine article.

I would much prefer a biography of a skater at 40 years of age. For example, I would like to read a bio of Jan Hoffman. What was his life before, during and after his skating career? What kind of parents was he born into? Were they special in the Party? What effect did the East German Sports Association have on Jan? Was he privileged? and was he happy with the Association? Did he encounter any problems with them. What 'true' opinions did he have of his competitors? What would have happened if he lost a competition? Did he meet any skater that he took a fancy to? Did they date? Who did he marry? and did he really love her? Were they religious? Is he a father? What was his life after the 'wall came down'? We know he judges, but what else does he do to make a living?d What has been going on since his competitive days and what now?

I'm exhausted thinking up things I would not find in a Skating Magazine. And if I did find these things in a magazine, why woiuld I need a autobiography, or a biography, for that matter?

I understand we all have our favorites and anything they do is news even if we heard it before. That's what being a fan is all about.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Well, as a fan of Yagudin, I think it will be a while before I have to worry about reading it...at someone else mentioned, it's actually been done for a while, but is being published in Japan this year...no plans for an English, or even Russian, version yet, as far as I have heard.

But, if it did come out in English, I would be interested in reading it. MOSTLY, because Alexei has said before in articles/interviews, he says whatever is the first thing in his head....so I think it would be interesting to read what he's really been thinking all this time, about competitions and fellow competitors and such, instead of the "off the cuff" stuff! And with a book, he's worked more on how he really feels about things, and how he REALLY wants to say it (okay, HOPEFULLY!) So that will make it enjoyable for me.

Kasey

citrus

Rinkside
Silver Lining said:
There are some books in the sports section of the library such as 'Figure Skating for Dummies' by Kristi Yamaguchi. Also, many of the books in the juvenile section are geared toward grade 11 and 12 students and are written in everyday language ie. they're not all pop-up books.:laugh: Here's a link which explains some of the jumps for novices, although unfortunately the video links don't work anymore;

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/skating/skating.html

Thanks for the info & the link. I'm just a casual appreciator of figure skating but still like to know the terminology and what to look for in the skating.