Yoshie Onda to move to the US | Golden Skate

Yoshie Onda to move to the US

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Wow! What's the scuttlebutt on the street about who the coach is? Where is Huggy Bear when you need him?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I wonder who she will train with. Training with Callaghan certainly helped Arakawa -- this season has been her best one ever. Who knows, may be Onda will go to Carroll, and it will be Callaghan vs. Carroll again -- except for Japan. Interesting.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Onda is keen to move to a new environment and improve the technical side of her skating
I thought she needed to improve her artistry more.

Dee

ouridol

On the Ice
Hmmm...interesting. That was a very short, blunt article. I hope this helps her skating, and I agree, she needs more help with artistry rather than technical.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Ooh, I hope she goes to Callaghan, only for the selfish reason that I can catch a glimpse of her when I go to the Onyx like I do Jenny Kirk.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
But unfortunately Shizuka is gone from Onyx temporarily if not permanently. Now I wish I'd gone to see Shizuka more often ...
and I'd much rather see Shiz than Onda. Waaah. :cry:

(But always glad to know that others occasionally take a peek into that rink. ;))

Lucy25

Final Flight
I like to go for open skate. The skaters are there for their sessions, jogging up and down the length of the buildings and stretching out in the open. I love how at the Onyx, no one seems to bother the elite skaters. They mix right in with the little hockey players, beginning figure skaters, and just plain skating for fun folks like me! It is a very comfortable place, to me.

Where is Shizuka now? Is RC still her coach? No wonder I haven't seen her there...

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Lucy25, Tatiana Tarasova might be Shizuka's coach now. If that's true, I wish them the best, working together. :)

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
sk8ing_lady2001 said:
Lucy25, Tatiana Tarasova is Shizuka's coach now. I wish them the best, working together. :)

Are you sure sk8ing_lady2001? I knew there was a rumor at USFSA skating board a few days ago. But has it been confirmed?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Shizuka and Tatiana?

That could make for a formidable paring. Tatiana is not a jump coach, but Shizuka (unlike Sasha) already has great jump technique. What Arawaka needs is polish and sophistication and strong vehicles for her burgeoning artistry. I think Tarasova could definitely give that to her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
It was reported at Skate Canada last year when the girl ripped off different 3/3 left and right, TT just couldn't take her eye off the girl. Given the right materials TT would like to coach a Lady OGM, after all that's the only decipline she has yet to have one.

ouridol

On the Ice
WOW....Shizuka with TT? HMmm I thought TT only wanted to stick with Russian Skaters..interesting...
But I do think that maybe TT is what Shizuka needs, help on her artistry, and she may very well be on her way to an OGM

Jhar55

Medalist
Aww, the blade digs deeper in the ice. Sasha left TT becasue of her health, and was going back to Russia. TT says on interview that American skater needs America coach. So reading between the lines TT really wanted to coach Shizuka but needed to dump Sasha first. hummmm.:\

LBC

On the Ice
A skater from Simsbury posted over at Skate Forum that Arakawa was there last week with a Japanese coach and was only working with Maya Usova not Tarasova.

I would think there would be a communication problem with Arakawa and Tarasova as neither one speaks very good English and I doubt one or the other speaks Russian or Japanese. Would work to consult or choreograph but full time I don't know.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Jhar55 said:
Aww, the blade digs deeper in the ice. Sasha left TT becasue of her health, and was going back to Russia. TT says on interview that American skater needs America coach. So reading between the lines TT really wanted to coach Shizuka but needed to dump Sasha first. hummmm.:\
I really think that is reading what's NOT there. Clearly, the whole thing about TT's health was just an excuse. However, I am certain that had the TT/Sasha/Galina ralationship continue to be strong, TT would have been only too happy to continue coaching Sasha. We'll never know whose fault it was that the partnership broke up (I suspect it is a little from each of the three sides), but to me it is stretching it WAY to much to go from that to assuming that TT wanted to coach Sizuka all along.

It seems Shizuka is ouy to be on the podium at Worlds and become a big contender for 2006. And why not? She's a very talented lady. There are only 3 places on the podium. All those Ladies should be concerned.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Agree with Joe. Arakawa may really be champion to make. TT might see it herself.