You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 61 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You spend hours making your Skate Picks and stay up until 2 am updating and formating charts for the rewatches on your day off. I suspect I am not alone in this on this board. Thank you fellow GSers for the hours you spend (probably more than me) doing similar things.

:thank::coffee2:🍰

You have just perfectly described my past week. Except for me it was doing one set of Predictions (although I am announcing the scores for the Junior GP's, I don't actually play that particular contest), and making two Fan Fests (one of which is a Pairs Fan Fest, so it is effectively 3 Fan Fests in one).

And on that note, I had better start copying the first of those Fan Fests into the forum, because there is a lot of formatting to sort out and the skater is in action tomorrow morning! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Youtube knows you well enough to start throwing novices you haven't heard of into suggested picks. This kiddie came up today, I think she's simply lovely (and that costume is as beautiful as any in the highest senior ranks!)

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was watching a suggested video on Mikhail Baryshnikov and wondering why no one had skated a program dedicated to him and how did I not know he is Latvian. Deniss should do this.

I need to watch White Nights again, it came out in the 80s. Say You Say Me would’ve made an awesome RD

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you catch up on the first race of the Asia Talent Cup and, because the opening round is supporting the Malaysian Superbike Championship rather than MotoGP, it has different commentators to normal. The two commentators they have are speaking different languages - one is speaking English, and the other is speaking Indonesian. And as soon as the guy speaking English starts talking, you think "he sounds just like Michail Savitskiy!"

Well, we all know how multi-talented Michail is (skater; commentator; musician). So, maybe he has diversified into commentating on motorsports as well as commentating on skating.

CaroLiza_fan

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't remember if I posted about it because the thread is so long and I don't want to go through it, but one thing for me:

If I hear a song in a commercial, ad, background of something and immediately want to look it up and figure if it fits the time for a SP, FP, or FD. One that came to my mind was "On Your Side" by Wet. Saw it in a Volvo commercial last year and went to find and see if it would fit. And it does perfectly for a FP. And then the Halo theme song when I saw the commercial for the TV show based off of the video game. Already have the element placements for a SP planned lol.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are trying to find out more about a skater you have adopted on GS, and you come across her mother's name and you go "WHAAAAT???!!! My kid is the daughter of a multiple European and World Champion in Ice Dance!!! That would explain why she is so good!" 😲

But then you look up the Ice Dancer and realise that the girl's mother has to be a different Irina Moiseeva. Put it like this: the famous Irina is a few years older than my mother. This Irina is less than 10 years older than me.

It would have been amazing if it had been true. But, although she is not the Irina, this younger Irina is pretty cool. ;)

Hey, I just had a thought. I wonder if this Irina was named after the Ice Dancer. Irina Moiseeva / Andrei Minenkov would have been at their peak around the time that she was born. So, it is possible...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you make out the draft for a new Fan Fest OP in a Word document, and work on keeping it up to date, even though you know that you can't actually post it for a couple of years.

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
....when, just before turning off the computer and going to bed you check your Facebook feed one more time, and PJ Kwong has posted a picture taken out of the window of her plane as it waits to take off for Beijing. So you go to sleep and dream you're rushing into a skate shop in China (which looks amazingly like the shop you use back home) and tell the fitter the airline lost your luggage and you need new skates urgently because your pairs SP is the next morning. She says, "No problem!" and brings out a very nice-looking pair of boots of an unfamiliar brand, very lightweight, which she says are a new experimental brand. You try them on, and they fit perfectly except that the end of your big toe is pressing a bit too hard in the toe of the boot. "No problem!" she says again, picks up a big pair of scissors and cuts off the tips of the boots, making them open-toed. "So light they can be cut to fit," she says, "And the material doesn't fray. Parents are buying them for their children. They don't need to replace them so often as the little feet grow! And your feet stay nice and cool!"

I was trying to figure out if my credit card could handle their price in Chinese currency when my 20 lb senior cat had a kittenish attack of the 3 a.m. zoomies straight across my bed and woke me up. If I hadn't, I'd probably then have dreamed I walked out of the shop with my new peep-toed skates and got run over by a Beijing bus.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Please give me reasons not to buy this little Zamboni Christmas tree ornament.

1702402601776.png

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you finish watching a film last night, and switch back to the normal TV, and there is a guy on screen with a bushy beard who is built like a tank and absolutely covered in tattoos:

0_rashleycain_246829225_235713515122887_1471067276426780876_nAJPG.jpg

And then you see the name on his dressing room door:

Ashley Cain

And you think, "Eh??????!!!!!! My kid has fairly changed since she stopped skating competitively!!!" :drama:

Turns out that this Ashley Cain is a footballer.

In case anybody is wondering, the film was "Racer And The Jailbird" (2017). It was in French, but had subtitles. And it was good, although there were parts that were far too violent for my taste.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you see the guy that has been announced as representing the UK at the 2024 Eurovision Song Contest, and all you can think is "He looks like Jason Brown!"

But then when you go looking for pictures of them to compare, you realise that he doesn't really look like Jason.

Screenshot-2023-12-16-20.40.23.png

Anyway, the guy's name is Olly Alexander. Apparently he's really famous, and because of that the media reckon we've got a shot this year. (Erm, they said that about Blue, Engelbert Humperdinck, Bonnie Tyler...) But I've never heard tell of him before.

CaroLiza_fan

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
It seems that I’ve caught the flu, and the tissues that I’m using are Puffs tissues. (Normally use Kleenex brand tissues). Anyway, yesterday when I first got the tissues, one of my first thoughts was “Didn’t they sponsor US Nationals for a few years?”

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few days ago, I went to a Japanese community center that I hadn't been to before and sang karaoke there. One guy who was there happened to sing "Nessun Dorma," of all songs! His pronunciation wasn't on point at the beginning of the song, but he got better as the song progressed and hit that note at the end like it was no big deal!:jaw:

His performance in general seriously impressed me! And I had to tell him afterwards, "My favorite skater skated to that song!" 😆