You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 62 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are sitting watching a Solo Dance competition, and your Mum looks up at the TV and says "she's skating in her nightie!" And you are able to reply: "Viktoria Sinitsina made a career out of that..."

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are feeling down, and you do some comfort shopping, and spend £95 on 11 flags (that is including the postage, which was rather more than I was hoping for). And nearly all of them have some sort of connection to skating:

• Two versions of the flag of the region where your long-time main skating crush has ancestry (the original version from about 700 years ago, and the version in use when she was born).
  • The flag of the country that the hometown of one of your good friends on the forum was in at the time she was born, and the flag of the country that her hometown is now in. (Reason for buying had nothing to do with this. I've been meaning to buy them for years).
  • The flag of the region where the city that a couple of your kids are from was the capital of about 400 years ago.
  • The flag of the island where a current world record holding skater has ancestry. (Reason for buying had nothing to do with this. It was because I had been to that island).
  • The flag used 100 years ago in a country that a shape that is used as a compulsory figure is associated with. And where one of your good friends here on the forum has ancestry. (Reason for buying had nothing to do with these. It was because I had been to that country).
  • The flag of the island where your best friend here on the forum is from.
  • The flag being used on your own island when a skater that won a 🥈 Silver Medal at the European Championships and two 🥉 Bronze Medals at the World Championships was born. (Reason for buying had nothing to do with this. It was because it was used for the whole island - not just the part where he was from, but also the part where I am from. And it looks nice).

I can't find a skating connections for the other two flags I bought. But, I previously bought two flags from the same seller that do:

• The flag of the region that your favourite skater is from.
  • The flag used 100 years ago in the country whose whole team you have adopted.

And I could have bought so many more, but decided I had spent enough money in one go.

CaroLiza_fan

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
You know you'll be a skater to the end when you watch a competition on TV, and when they show closeups in slow motion, you try to identify what brand of boots the skater is wearing.
Every single time. not only the boots, but the blades too. 🤣 And I've caught myself wondering about tights. I'm huge fan of over the heel (not footed, not over the boot and not the footless that covers only the ankle) tights, it's what I wear the vast majority of exhibition/competition times, I think it makes the legs look more longer and prettier, so I wonder what brand it is and if it's obvious it was made for that dress, I keep it in mind for inspiration for my own tights for a determined dress 😂

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Every single time. not only the boots, but the blades too. 🤣 And I've caught myself wondering about tights. I'm huge fan of over the heel (not footed, not over the boot and not the footless that covers only the ankle) tights, it's what I wear the vast majority of exhibition/competition times, I think it makes the legs look more longer and prettier, so I wonder what brand it is and if it's obvious it was made for that dress, I keep it in mind for inspiration for my own tights for a determined dress 😂
I love looking at the blades, especially when it's not a Wilson/MK but even more so if it makes no sense for the level. At one point I saw a pairs team doing triples and triple throws that both had Coronation Ace Lite blades. It is impressive, that's for sure.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I love looking at the blades, especially when it's not a Wilson/MK but even more so if it makes no sense for the level. At one point I saw a pairs team doing triples and triple throws that both had Coronation Ace Lite blades. It is impressive, that's for sure.
These days when I skate I'm overbooted (Risports with 90 stiffness) but underbladed, and my partner and I do doubles of everything. I learned everything including triple throws on MK Pros and no other blade has the right feel under my feet. I trust them.

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
These days when I skate I'm overbooted (Risports with 90 stiffness) but underbladed, and my partner and I do doubles of everything. I learned everything including triple throws on MK Pros and no other blade has the right feel under my feet. I trust them.
Risport Royal Prime? That is the exact combo I saw, maybe I saw you 😲:LOL:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Risport Royal Prime? That is the exact combo I saw, maybe I saw you 😲:LOL:
Risport RF1 boots these days. And since my original partner and I retired from serious competition in the 1980s, when only the top skaters in each event were shown on TV, without the slow-motion replays, it definitely wasn't us ;). Unless there's someone here who attended Canadians in the 70s and 80s, then nobody on GS has ever seen me skate. (You didn't miss much :laugh:. We won Juniors at Canadians once, but the best we managed in Seniors was 6th, when Underhill and Martini were 1st.)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Risport RF1 boots these days. And since my original partner and I retired from serious competition in the 1980s, when only the top skaters in each event were shown on TV, without the slow-motion replays, it definitely wasn't us ;).
Found a picture of my old-style Jackson boots from the 1980s, before they changed the shape to something that doesn't fit me. (Not my pairs partner. A small friend who was in men's singles. Neither of us good dancers, but having fun anyway.)

Attachments

• SK-Scott:dance:1988.jpeg
    SK-Scott:dance:1988.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 33

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
When other people are watching March Madness but you're more interested in figure skating Worlds. I don't mind watching basketball, but given the choice between basketball and skating, skating wins every time for me.

*Brief Explanation of March Madness - Students can compete for their university in a sport while they attend classes (often receiving scholarships to do so), and universities compete against each other during the season, and at the end of the season there's a tournament to determine the National Champion for the season. For basketball, the leadup to the National Tournament and the Tournament itself happens in March/early April and is colloquially referred to as "March Madness" because so many games are happening at once or within a short time frame. This always coincides with Worlds, and Worlds matter more to me. Whereas many Americans know about March Madness (going so far as to predict who will win each game), most Americans are unaware when figure skating Worlds are happening, GS members excluded, of course. ;)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
When other people are watching March Madness but you're more interested in figure skating Worlds. I don't mind watching basketball, but given the choice between basketball and skating, skating wins every time for me.

*Brief Explanation of March Madness - Students can compete for their university in a sport while they attend classes (often receiving scholarships to do so), and universities compete against each other during the season, and at the end of the season there's a tournament to determine the National Champion for the season. For basketball, the leadup to the National Tournament and the Tournament itself happens in March/early April and is colloquially referred to as "March Madness" because so many games are happening at once or within a short time frame. This always coincides with Worlds, and Worlds matter more to me. Whereas many Americans know about March Madness (going so far as to predict who will win each game), most Americans are unaware when figure skating Worlds are happening, GS members excluded, of course. ;)
Thank you for the explanation. I kept seeing the term March Madness in online news sources and didn't really know what it meant. Something to do with American university students. I thought: "You mean like the March hare? When supposedly male hares go berserk in the spring mating season?" Your explanation is a relief to my puritanical mind!

Edit to sentence construction: "supposedly go berserk", not "supposedly male".
:unsure::giggle:

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Thank you for the explanation. I kept seeing the term March Madness in online news sources and didn't really know what it meant. Something to do with American university students. I thought: "You mean like the March hare? When supposedly male hares go berserk in the spring mating season?" Your explanation is a relief to my puritanical mind!

Edit to sentence construction: "supposedly go berserk", not "supposedly male".
:unsure::giggle:
No, that's Spring Break. ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Its all I see on our local news....something about Gonzagaians or something. Fast forward.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
No, that's Spring Break. ;)
Well not exactly. From the stories I hear, Spring Break at leased used to be college men and women heading to the beaches of Florida, drinking alot, and doing things a puritan mind doesnt really want to know about. Now it seems violence has come into play and streets are closed and there are curfews....not my cup of tea.....rather watch worlds....