Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
Honestly, that didn't make any sense as Sakamoto has some of the best landings and great skating skills with plenty of speed and flow. What is his problem, for real? (IIRC her 3L was also voted the best jump of the season two years ago here on the forums.)

On another note, his permanent fawning over beautiful dresses, beautiful cute little girls and tiny shoulders is... quite disturbing and, frankly, sexist, too. I want Bindl back. Sadly, that won't happen as Witt was announced for the FS as co-commentator and although she's supportive of the skaters (a good thing on its own, of course), she's just as much obsessed with costumes and princesses and a restrictive version of 'artistry' and whatnot. (I'm really sad my Eurosport subscription didn't work out this year for whatever technical reason.)
When I read that, I´m even more happy that I avoided women´s skating today. Why can´t we have a good commentator in Germany? It can´t be so difficult, right?

Placebo11

On the Ice
Petra Bindl, she sometimes worked for Eurosport. She is always very well prepared. 🙂
She commented on the men's sp on ZDF (I watched the stream) recently.
I also like her very much. As you say, she's well prepared - and always respectful.
I cannot stand Daniel Weiss either who is constantly complaining about the lack of artistry. But Sigi Heinrich on Eurosport is also unbearable. I like his co-commentator Hendrik Schamberger though.
And since Katarina Witt will co-comment the women's fp along with. Daniel Weiss I will definitely watch the competition on Eurosport..

Last edited:

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
Back, way back, Weiss was the commentator for Eurosport. When Schamberger retired, he took over and Weiss went to work for ard. (He also dabbled in choreography, iirc he choreographed for Tanja Szewczenko in 95). Schamberger likely got paired with Sigi Heinrich bc he was a newbie at commentating, coming fresh off his athletic career, and also because Sigi's (imo unfortunately) more of a talker. Why they're still both needed, no idea.

You'd think in the year 2022, there'd be a way to have a second, commentary-free, audio track on streams..

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In all the years I have been listening to Simon Reed commentating on figure skating, yesterday was the first time that I have ever heard him mention Oliver.

It was just after Laurence and Nikolaj had finished their Free Dance. After reminding us who we had been watching, this is how the conversation went.

Simon: "I've got to say, Chris. I've got a vested interest in 'Gladiator'. My brother was one of the stars, as you know. What is he wearing?!"

Chris: "Yes"

Simon: "How on Earth do they come up with that?"

Chris: "I have no idea. And I didn't see any resemblance to any of it, really".

Simon: "Neither do I. I mean, they're terrific skaters. I just think they've missed a trick here".

Chris: "No, I'm completely with you on that".​

They then went on to talk about the skating.

With all the "Gladiator" programmes we have seen since the film was released, I am surprised that I hadn't heard Simon mention his personal connection before. There again, at the same time, it is understandable, given that Ollie died during filming.

But, can you believe that it is 22 years since "Gladiator" was released?! It really does not seem like that long ago. :drama:

Time is flying.

CaroLiza_fan

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
In all the years I have been listening to Simon Reed commentating on figure skating, yesterday was the first time that I have ever heard him mention Oliver.

It was just after Laurence and Nikolaj had finished their Free Dance. After reminding us who we had been watching, this is how the conversation went.

Simon: "I've got to say, Chris. I've got a vested interest in 'Gladiator'. My brother was one of the stars, as you know. What is he wearing?!"​
Chris: "Yes"​
Simon: "How on Earth do they come up with that?"​
Chris: "I have no idea. And I didn't see any resemblance to any of it, really".​
Simon: "Neither do I. I mean, they're terrific skaters. I just think they've missed a trick here".​
Chris: "No, I'm completely with you on that".​

They then went on to talk about the skating.

With all the "Gladiator" programmes we have seen since the film was released, I am surprised that I hadn't heard Simon mention his personal connection before. There again, at the same time, it is understandable, given that Ollie died during filming.

But, can you believe that it is 22 years since "Gladiator" was released?! It really does not seem like that long ago. :drama:

Time is flying.

CaroLiza_fan
I loved the movie "Gladiator" and yes, it´s unbelievable that it was 22 years ago. But when you watch Russell Crowe then and now, you realize that some time has passed. :laugh:

rinkside_user

On the Ice

[...]

Thank you for this crucial information. I had no idea who Oliver Reed was, not to mention his relation to Simon. Definitely a 'harsher in hindsight' case with all those Gladiator programs over the years.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I loved the movie "Gladiator" and yes, it´s unbelievable that it was 22 years ago. But when you watch Russell Crowe then and now, you realize that some time has passed. :laugh:

:laugh:

I know. It's amazing how much he has changed.

Thank you for this crucial information. I had no idea who Oliver Reed was, not to mention his relation to Simon. Definitely a 'harsher in hindsight' case with all those Gladiator programs over the years.

Oliver Reed was one of the most famous actors to come out of the UK. For me, his most famous role was as Bill Sykes in "Oliver!" (1968). But, he was in lots of films. For example, a couple of months ago, I watched him in "The Scarlet Blade" (1963).

Unfortunately, Oliver had a wild lifestyle which ultimately led to his death. Although I don't drink myself, I've actually visited the pub where he died. The very imaginatively named "The Pub" in Valletta, Malta. They have a very interesting display about him.

It was only around the time that I joined this forum that I found out that Simon was his brother. But, when you see a photo of Simon, you would know instantly. They look so alike.

Simon Reed
Oliver Reed

(Apologies that the picture of Ollie is a photo of a photo. I wanted to use the same photos that I used when I last posted a comparison back in 2014, but the website that the photo I used of Ollie was on has closed down since then. And this was the only copy of the same photo of him that I could find).

By the way, I should have added, I totally agreed with what Simon and Chris were saying about Fournier Beaudry / Sørensen. As he was supposed to be portraying a gladiator, Nikolaj should definitely have been wearing something that looked like armour. And Laurence probably should have been wearing a toga. (Admittedly, it was a nice dress she was wearing. But it just didn't fit in with the theme).

Later on in the analysis, Chris said "I just couldn't get 'Gladiator' out of that". And he was right. If you had the sound muted while watching them skate, you wouldn't have had any indication what the programme was about. Although they didn't use it this time, one of the catchphrases that the Uncles like to come out with is so appropriate in this case: "They could have been skating to anything".

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was only around the time that I joined this forum that I found out that Simon was his brother. But, when you see a photo of Simon, you would know instantly. They look so alike.

Simon Reed
Oliver Reed
The link to Oliver doesn't work, but I looked him up on Wikipedia and they do indeed look alike. (Even with Oliver's mustache)

Although my mind is seriously blown by the fact that Simon is the same age as my father! I had no idea he was in his 70s!

That certainly explains how he's been on the commentary scene so long!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The link to Oliver doesn't work, but I looked him up on Wikipedia and they do indeed look alike. (Even with Oliver's mustache)

Mmmmm. Interesting. Because I clicked on the link there now, and it took me to the photo. Although, the site that link takes you to is a shopping website, so it might have geo-blocking on it.

The photo I used was actually one of Oliver without the moustache. So, here's an alternative:

https://www.notrecinema.com/images/usercontent/kpitalrisk/images/stars/15000/vign/v_54767.jpg

Although my mind is seriously blown by the fact that Simon is the same age as my father! I had no idea he was in his 70s!

That certainly explains how he's been on the commentary scene so long!

Yep, he has been around a long time.

And that is why there is such a fondness in his voice when he talks about Natalia Bestemianova / Andrei Bukin. And why he always brings them up whenever Ivan is on. Because they were the skaters he was watching when he was our age.

Hey, imagine what we will be like in 40 years time...

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

And that is why there is such a fondness in his voice when he talks about Natalia Bestemianova / Andrei Bukin. And why he always brings them up whenever Ivan is on. Because they were the skaters he was watching when he was our age.

CaroLiza_fan
:laugh2: I can picture it now. "I remember the good old days! We didn't have holographic costumes and sensors in skates. Nobody did quints... Kids these days, you don't know the proper artistry of figure skating. When Sasha Trusova did five quads...ah that was the pinnacle." ;)

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Mmmmm. Interesting. Because I clicked on the link there now, and it took me to the photo. Although, the site that link takes you to is a shopping website, so it might have geo-blocking on it.

The photo I used was actually one of Oliver without the moustache. So, here's an alternative:

https://www.notrecinema.com/images/usercontent/kpitalrisk/images/stars/15000/vign/v_54767.jpg

CaroLiza_fan

Very interesting, thank you! Simon is also credited at IMDB as actor, but only minor roles, see: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1675403/

What is also interesting that Simon Reed, heavily known as tennis commentator in the past, is now the prominent figure skating commentator and Catherine Whitaker, former figure skater, is now prominent tennis announcer.

And they both provided shared commentary for Beijing Winter Olympics opening ceremony for Eurosport, which is freely available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQ8pVRqd5U

Zora

On the Ice
Why they're still both needed, no idea.

You'd think in the year 2022, there'd be a way to have a second, commentary-free, audio track on streams..
While I really like Hendryk Schamberger, he isn't the most enthusiastic person. Most of the time I think they complement each other, just sometimes Sigi is unstoppable and too emotional. (And I won't forgive him his hate for Jason Brown...)

There is an option on Eurosport to turn them all off. 🙂

LadyM

Spectator
In the UK there are 2 stand out commentators, both former pros....
Chris Howarth,now based in Chicago and Mark Hanratty. Reed and Slater should have been put out to grass years ago!!!

Zora

On the Ice
I always liked Nicky Slater and missed him the last few years... disappointed this is how it ended. I can't watch British Eurosport at all at the moment, because the voice of the female commentator is so sharp, I'm sorry.

It was hilarious how Daniel Weiss had to be complimentary to Kaori yesterday, because she was about to become the world champion and Kati Witt was with him. So he praised her program and her skating, even though he disliked it at every competition before. :LOL:

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I always liked Nicky Slater and missed him the last few years... disappointed this is how it ended. I can't watch British Eurosport at all at the moment, because the voice of the female commentator is so sharp, I'm sorry.

It was hilarious how Daniel Weiss had to be complimentary to Kaori yesterday, because she was about to become the world champion and Kati Witt was with him. So he praised her program and her skating, even though he disliked it at every competition before. :LOL:
Daniel Weiss disliked Kaori for years. Is he really praising her now :laugh2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ted Barton: He annoys me but especially should not be commentating Ice Dance.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Tara Lipinski has to be my least favorite commentator. She apparently doesn't even know how the scoring system works. Just yesterday, the men's long program, one of the skaters, Ilia Malinin I think, did a jump that had a base value of 11.5 points. The GOE was 4.14 or something close. Tara got all ecstatic, saying that the points awarded were nearly the maximum of 5. While 5 is the maximum GOE, it is not the maximum GOE points. Every GOE awarded increases the base value by 10%. The maximum GOE of 5 gives a 50% increase in base value. So the 11.5 jump could have gotten a maximum of 5.75 GOE points . Also, she (and Johnny, too) is constantly saying that arms over the head increases the GOE. But it does not. There is nothing in the rules about it.

Last edited: