Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite
Kurt Browning : always positive , very knowleged
Scott Hamilton : good knowlege , unique voice , entertraining
Dick & Peggy : old school , straight forward from dick , positive from peggy , entertraining sometime
Robin Cousin : very knowledge , least bias
Chris & Simon : good knowlegde from chris , entertraining from simon

My least Favorite
Tracy Wilson : very knowlegde , little bit bias or take side to some skater
Tara & Johnny : the most annoying couple ever
Though she's not commenting any more, the most biased was Sandra Bezic. She never even disclosed that she had worked with Yuna Kim while complimenting her effusively. She was also biased towards Canadians. I never understood why she was commenting for a US network.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Tara Lipinski has to be my least favorite commentator. She apparently doesn't even know how the scoring system works. Just yesterday, the men's long program, one of the skaters, Ilia Malinin I think, did a jump that had a base value of 11.5 points. The GOE was 4.14 or something close. Tara got all ecstatic, saying that the points awarded were nearly the maximum of 5. While 5 is the maximum GOE, it is not the maximum GOE points. Every GOE awarded increased the base value by 10% so the maximum GOE of 5 gives a 50% increase in base value. So the 11.5 jump could have gotten a maximum of 5.75 GOE points . Also, she (and Johnny, too) is constantly saying that arms over the head increases the GOE. But it does not. There is nothing in the rules about it.
I can deal with Johnny but Tara mostly makes me want to reach for a roll of duct tape. :devilish:

And…it’ll never happen but how I wish NBC could seduce Kurt Browning into crossing the border. :biggrin: Kurt’s commentary is always excellent—objective, respectful, and thoughtful.

Last edited:

discodisco

On the Ice
I can deal with Johnny but Tara mostly makes me want to reach for a roll of duct tape. :devilish:

And…it’ll never happen but how I wish NBC could seduce Kurt Browning into crossing the border. :biggrin: Kurt’s commentary is always excellent—objective, respectful, and thoughtful.
Krut's an amazing skater.... can be sketchy sometimes as a commentator.

The ISU commentators from Australia were the absolute best I've ever heard in over 30 years at the Olympics. Belinda Noonan I think? Absolutely dynamite. Also, the British/Irish guy who commentated throughout the season for ISU was excellent as well. So knowledgeable and informative, and great speaking skills. Get those to together and you're golden. Far better than anything North America has to offer.

I do have to say that Tracy Wilson for years was considered the gold standard, and I still think she's excellent, and I never felt she was biased. I do tend to find pairs skaters and ice dancers to be the best commentators b/c they can add more insightful commentary, an actually have something to add about pairs elements! Most singles skaters are like "Well... that was a nice lift, wasn't it. It looks... hard... and she was flexible". They often don't even know what the elements are called...

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States

We wuzrobbed by NBC.

Here's some quotes from Kurt while watching Morisi skate:

"See for me, that's a Salchow, he barely picks at all. I could argue about that all night, but I'll just let the boy skate." During the replay: "To me that [toe and Salchow] are the same jump. He barely touches his pick to the ice. He basically does the same jump three times in a row, which isn't allowed."

I want to hear commentary like that, not Tara squealing.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My old school faves were Dick and Peggy - great chemistry and her sweetness balanced out his sometimes sour commentary.

Currently, Mark Henretty is my favorite when he's on the ISU feed. Knowledgeable, and balances positive with negative. I also love his accent, lol.

Ted Barton did an admirable job taking over for the Eurosport guys - he was positive about every skater and tried not to talk too much over the performances. I'm still not happy with his obvious a--kissing of Eteri and co recently, but I can say he's a hard worker and I will always love that he brought the JGP to us on YT.

For NBC - Tara Lipinksi is my least favorite - I don't mind Johnny and Terry, though. Tanith White is great at explaining Ice Dance.

When I'm able to hear Canadian commentary - Meagan Duhamel is also one of my favorites. She's extremely knowledgeable as an Olympic medalist, coach and all around figure skating fangirl. I also enjoyed Kevin Reynolds during Canadian Nationals.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Krut's an amazing skater.... can be sketchy sometimes as a commentator.

The ISU commentators from Australia were the absolute best I've ever heard in over 30 years at the Olympics. Belinda Noonan I think? Absolutely dynamite. Also, the British/Irish guy who commentated throughout the season for ISU was excellent as well. So knowledgeable and informative, and great speaking skills. Get those to together and you're golden. Far better than anything North America has to offer.

I do have to say that Tracy Wilson for years was considered the gold standard, and I still think she's excellent, and I never felt she was biased. I do tend to find pairs skaters and ice dancers to be the best commentators b/c they can add more insightful commentary, an actually have something to add about pairs elements! Most singles skaters are like "Well... that was a nice lift, wasn't it. It looks... hard... and she was flexible". They often don't even know what the elements are called...
AFIK, I can't access the ISU feed in the US. Just tried to find the Worlds gala and it was blocked; same during the Olympics.

I've always liked Tracy, too, and agree that she never seemed biased.

What do you think is sketchy about Kurt's commentary?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AFIK, I can't access the ISU feed in the US. Just tried to find the Worlds gala and it was blocked; same during the Olympics.

You can't access ISU without a vpn set to another country. Usually Canada works for me. It really isn't that hard and allows you to watch entire events when you want.

Last edited:

discodisco

On the Ice
My old school faves were Dick and Peggy - great chemistry and her sweetness balanced out his sometimes sour commentary.

Currently, Mark Henretty is my favorite when he's on the ISU feed. Knowledgeable, and balances positive with negative. I also love his accent, lol.

Ted Barton did an admirable job taking over for the Eurosport guys - he was positive about every skater and tried not to talk too much over the performances. I'm still not happy with his obvious a--kissing of Eteri and co recently, but I can say he's a hard worker and I will always love that he brought the JGP to us on YT.

For NBC - Tara Lipinksi is my least favorite - I don't mind Johnny and Terry, though. Tanith White is great at explaining Ice Dance.

When I'm able to hear Canadian commentary - Meagan Duhamel is also one of my favorites. She's extremely knowledgeable as an Olympic medalist, coach and all around figure skating fangirl. I also enjoyed Kevin Reynolds during Canadian Nationals.
Mark Hanretty, that's his name! Yes, he's fantastic. Is knowledgeable about all disciplines as well. Duhamel is surprisingly good as well! Kevin Reynolds is very precise, if pretty wooden. Ie, he's a bit like Data from Star Trek; he needs to get into things more.

I actually hated all the amateur commentators at Nationals. Eladj, Patrick (he was okay), Kaitlyn Weaver, and Katelyn Osmond. They said the same thing about just about everyone, and turned to Eladj as if he were some master of choreography and presentation. Give the guy credit, he has charisma on the ice, but all of the other skater-commentators were just as strong. Anyhow, it was very amateur-ish, and to have all of them learning the ropes at the same time was pretty painful - especially when you compare them to (eg) Noonan and Hanretty, or others.

discodisco

On the Ice
Sketchy wasn't really the correct word, I guess. I think Kurt is just clumsy with his words sometimes. I appreciate it when he points out technical things though - that's where his strength is, and I wish he did it more. I saw a video thing he did with Signe Ronka and Alisa Csizny on youtube and it was fantastic - 1.5 hours or so of analysis. Great stuff!

Kurt has always been one of my favourite skater, I just think he's still finding his groove as a commentator. For me, since I've heard Noonan and Hanretty, I can't go back to anyone else!

Sastrugi

Rinkside
We wuzrobbed by NBC.

Here's some quotes from Kurt while watching Morisi skate:

"See for me, that's a Salchow, he barely picks at all. I could argue about that all night, but I'll just let the boy skate." During the replay: "To me that [toe and Salchow] are the same jump. He barely touches his pick to the ice. He basically does the same jump three times in a row, which isn't allowed."

I want to hear commentary like that, not Tara squealing.
Robin Cousins said virtually the same thing 😅 He is an excellent commentator by the way, just a shame the BBC only covered free programs at Worlds as I’d have loved to have heard his thoughts on the short programs and rhythm dance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I usually like Ted Barton's commentary, but for Worlds, he just talked too much. Usually he is silent during the program and talks details during the replay. But for this Worlds, he talked during the program as well as during the replay. He kept on talking even sometimes over the score announcements, which was rather annoying.

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic

discodisco

On the Ice
I looked it up and watched it and I gotta say it was absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for mentioning this video!

Here's the link for anyone who's interested: Evolution of Figure Skating Jump Technique - Signe Ronka, Alissa Czisny, Kurt Browning
I know! We need more of this stuff. It's so educational. I love Alissa's points about the change in lutz technique, and how it's not really about that beautiful curve on the outside edge, with the pick then used to spring counter directionally, which really creates a beautiful deep S shape with you watch from above. Now it's typically entered in a straight line, and a bent ankle achieves the outside edge technically, but the jump isn't what it's supposed to be...

Funnily enough, I watched Viacheslav Zagorodniuk's 94 free skate, and his lutz was very similar to Plushenko's - almost a loop, actually. Definitely a full-blade takeoff... so I guess the lutz really is the jump that most skaters get wrong the most often. Besides questions of prerotation, pretty much everybody does the toe, sal, loop, and axel correctly, and mostly the flip. But the lutz is ALL over the place in terms of technique, correct edge, pick-vs-blade, prerotation vs true counter-direction with pick assist, etc. It's always been like that, but it seems that the shift from HEIGHT-then-rotate (Browning's time) to START ROTATION-on-ice-while-wrenching-upper-body (Eteri's technique) has been really taken hold - especially since that's the only way the girls can do a quad lutz. If you had them use the technique of (eg) Josee Chouinard, with that incredible POP that comes from the speed and counter-direction shift, they'd never be able to do it, b/c it requires all the rotation to be done in the air.

Man, I love the lutz when it's done well, which is very infrequently. I HATE the straight-line entry... it's such a beautiful jump with the old-school long edge entry.

Weathergal

Medalist
That's Mark Hanretty. He's from Scotland. He's a former competitive ice dancer, who still performs quite a bit professionally. He's currently competing on UK ice dancing competition, and I believe that's why he's not commentating Worlds this year. I enjoy his commentary as well. I found him very knowledgeable for all the disciplines.
I think Tanith White is outstanding.
I do as well. I've learned a lot about ice dancing from her.

I agree with you on pretty much all of the above, including Mark's accent. ;)

As labgoat mentioned, if you use a VPN, you can access the ISU World Feed on YT. Someone here mentioned using the Opera browser for this, and I have to say it's been a very helpful tip!