Your favorite sport(s) besides figure skating? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your favorite sport(s) besides figure skating?

My favourite sport other than figure skating : judging figure skating :)
:points: Judging is definitely a sport unto itself.

I grew up in a small city that served as a transportation hub for an agricultural economy. Many kids were active in 4H Clubs or Future Farmers of America. They competed at the county fair in categories like who can grow the biggest pumpkin and who can raise the finest hog. For teenagers, there were also livestock judging contests. This was serious business, because if you won a blue ribbon that credential might get you get you an apprenticeship as a buyer for a big meatpacking outfit. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:points: Judging is definitely a sport unto itself.

I grew up in a small city that served as a transportation hub for an agricultural economy. Many kids were active in 4H Clubs or Future Farmers of America. They competed at the county fair in categories like who can grow the biggest pumpkin and who can raise the finest hog. For teenagers, there were also livestock judging contests. This was serious business, because if you won a blue ribbon that credential might get you get you an apprenticeship as a buyer for a big meatpacking outfit. :)
This sounds like a very nice life you had growing up... very different from how my generation has experienced youth... we did grow up mushrooms, when playing super mario bros

rain

Record Breaker
I wanted to also tick off diving. And then there are things like pole vault, high jump, decathlon

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I do watch the major events only:
from not listed: athletics, soccer, basketball, and rugby.
from listed: the whole list.

I voted for biathlon since I watch the WC regularly.

Marty McFlip

Spectator
Country
France
It's totally different from figure skating, but I'm a big fan of boxing. It's such a complete sport, so difficult. I find it amusing when in boxing we talk about footwork to make the comparison with figure skating :ROFLMAO:🥊⛸️

I like the sport of fencing. The history of judging in fencing It has many lessons for figure skating.

1. Origins. The first scoring system in fencing was, whoever was carried away bloodied and maimed was declared the loser.

Figure skaters are lovers not fighters. Early figure skating contests consisted of would-be swains trying to impress the targets of their affections by carving hearts and initials into the ice, the vanquished rival slinking away in ignominy.

2. Gentlemen’s honor. Once fencing adopted rules and protective gear, gentlemen were expected to announce touches against themselves. This era, however, has no echo in figure skating. Herma Szabo did not graciously concede defeat to Sonja Henie at the 1927 world championship. Instead she quit the sport in disgust at all the the corruption.

3. The era of human judging. The sword, like the figure skating blade, is quicker that the eye. The swiftness and and finesse of thrust and parry was beyond what can be discerned with the human eye in real time.

4. The age of technology. After experimentation and theorizing from the late nineteenth century on, finally by the time of the 1936 Olympics they had figured out a way to detect touches electronically by wiring the blade and lame (protective vest) for the saber. The foil and epee proved harder for various reasons, and it was not until the 1980s and 90s that the technology could be extended to these disciplines.

Figure skating? Who knows what the next hundred years will bring.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loosely follow lots of sports, but I'll define "fandom" as "I know and admire athletes who aren't American in this sport."

So... I'm a fan of Alpine skiing, some track and field, gymnastics (but not artistic), and tennis.

I'm also a once-every-four-years "fan" of all kinds of things I don't care about any other time.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
In Canada, quite a few male figure skaters also play recreational hockey (any excuse to be on the ice :)). Back when I was still in competition, my partner showed up one day with his hockey skates, having suddenly discovered he'd broken a blade on his figure skates. Our coach wouldn't let us do lifts, but he was doing all the edge jumps as doubles on hockey blades, including the Axel :cheer2:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Figure skaters are lovers not fighters. Early figure skating contests consisted of would-be swains trying to impress the targets of their affections by carving hearts and initials into the ice, the vanquished rival slinking away in ignominy.

I think all sports ultimately originated from a desire to attract a mate or kill someone.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
I think all sports ultimately originated from a desire to attract a mate or kill someone.
Bobsled for instance has nothing to do with either of those things. Its just an adrenaline chase.

Reducing things to simple evolutionary psychology never works.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bobsled for instance has nothing to do with either of those things. Its just an adrenaline chase.

Reducing things to simple evolutionary psychology never works.

Agree to disagree.

"Hey, baby, watch me slide down this hill in this fancy sled, and then let's go snuggle by the fire while you tell me how brave and sexy I looked."