Your top 3 all time Japanese single ladies and men? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your top 3 all time Japanese single ladies and men?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladies (sorry, I can't pick just 3):
Midori Ito
Mao Asada
Akiko Suzuki
Satoko Miyahara

Men:
Daisuke Takahashi
Yuzuru Hanyu
Machida

andromache

Record Breaker
Ladies
Akiko Suzuki
Midori Ito
Mao Asada
(I also have an incredible love in my heart for Miki Ando. Her skating never did much for me, but as a person I find her so strong and precious and I respect the heck out of her.)

Men
Daisuke Takahashi
Tatsuki Machida
Shoma Uno
(Hanyu has two OGMs and the biggest fanbase in skating so he doesn't need my love lol)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is it OK if I throw in my favorite dance couple? Watanabe and Kido never won a major championship, but there was something about their style that always made me smile.

I loved that pair! Growing up, I always found their programs and style intriguing. I would also throw in Narumi Takahashi/Mervin Tran who won World bronze for Japan out of pretty much nowhere, which was a really notable achievement.

I wouldn't be surprised if some international swaps made it onto some people's faves list like Rena Inoue and Yuka Kavaguti/Kawaguchi. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I had a hard time not putting Kanako Murakami. She always tugged on my heart. Chosing only 3 was tough!!

Loves me some Kanako! Not only is she adorable but she is a powerful jumper and I think her artistry was underrated.

Ando, Miyahara, and Suzuki would also make my honourable mentions list, and of course Yuka Sato, whose skating quality is absolutely divine (arguably the best artistic Japanese skater ever, at least in my books).

Suguri doesn't get a ton of love but I respect the hell out of her for continuing competitively (including maintaining difficult jumps) as long as she did, and her achievements when she was at her peak.

Hronop

On the Ice
Ladies:
Mao, Satoko, Akiko.

Men:
Shoma, Sho... Oh wait. :laugh: Daisuke, Takahiko/Yuzu.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Is it OK if I throw in my favorite dance couple? Watanabe and Kido never won a major championship, but there was something about their style that always made me smile.

In the similar vein, I would put my favorite Japanese pair team, Takahashi & Tran although they won medals from major events. They were very promising but the citizenship issue was just unfortunate.

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko Suzuki is a goddess on the ice! For me she is tied with Michelle Kwan and Satoko Miyahara as my favourite skaters of all time!

These 3 have so much passion and musicality

AKIKO SUZUKI is pure joy!

Her ‘ hymne a l'amour” program is one of the greatest ever

Her ‘Die Fleidermaus’ program was also pure joy! She should’ve won the SIlver medal

christinaskater

Medalist
I’m watching Akiko’s programs now on YouTube and she is the essence of skating is! She skates with so much soul and musicality

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
When considering the ladies, it's always surprising to remember that Miki Ando was a TWO-TIME world champion. Not that many skaters in general have won twice! Beating Mao and Yuna to get there? So I'd throw her in the top three, to my own surprise, along with Ito and Asada.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The thread is for favorites, so any Japanese skater can be a favorite, from novice to veteran.
Let's not derail the thread by picking apart other people's lists or speculating as to why posters made the lists they did or further poking at fans of anyone.
Post your list, celebrate your favorites. Enjoy the diversity. ;) :ghug:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The thread is for favorites, so any Japanese skater can be a favorite, from novice to veteran.
Let's not derail the thread by picking apart other people's lists or speculating as to why posters made the lists they did or further poking at fans of anyone.
Post your list, celebrate your favorites. Enjoy the diversity. ;) :ghug:

Agreed. This thread should be about celebrating the depth and talent of Japanese skaters over the years.

Opinions are bound to differ, given there has been such a variety of prolific skaters and iconic performances, plus people have various criteria when it comes to their faves - tough to pick a top 3!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My list:

Men:
Shoma Uno
Yuzuru Hanyu
Daisuke Takahashi

Ladies:
Akiko Suzuki
Satoko Miyahara
Midori Ito (always the happiest skater I have ever seen. I couldn't help but smile when she skated)

Honourable mention: Mao but the wound is too soon.