Your top 5 favorites in Beijing? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your top 5 favorites in Beijing?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One on my mind at the moment. The Pairs competition.

Lots of great skating, and a reasonable case could be made for any of three different pairs to end up on top.

I'm happy with the outcome, but I couldn't have argued had that podium landed in any order. Very closely fought. It was magnificent. Plus, there were some "victories" further down the rankiings, too.

And boy oh boy, wasn't it just the perfect moment for a really well skated event!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1.Nathan's redemption and finally Olympic gold!
2.Sui and Han - also finally Olympic gold and on home ice!
3.Chock and Bate's FD - I never tire of it.
4.Anna's victory - though seeing her alone for so long was sad.
5.Alysa's joy on and off the ice - the embodiment of Olympic spirit!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I watched piecemeal, but of what I saw I can honestly list three things (the first two being masterpieces of skating):

1. Jason Brown's Sinnerman SP
2. P/C's FD to a beautiful piece of music by Faure
3. The Men's SP as a whole

A special honorable mention to Chock and Bates for the single most bonkers (in A Very Good Way) FD in the history of Olympic Ice Dance.

Honestly, on the whole I was more excited by curling than by what I saw of figure skating here. And I'm going to do my best to repress any and all memories of the Women's event.

Last edited:

MissCleo

On the Ice
Kondriatuk FP team event - its so campy, love it. for me the wilder, the better (well, as long as the jumps are landed)
Chock/Bates FD team event and Hubbell/donohue SD team event - i didnt like either of these programs until now, at the event it just hit differently
Higuchi FP - i will always have a strong emotional response when listening to lion king, so her skating to it feels manipulative, like she knows she has me at the jump
Sui/Han FP - what a moment! Sui seems such a fabulous diva, i dont recall her ever tearing up at end of skates (will welcome vids to prove this incorrect). so to see the emotion on her face at the finish was just so heartwarming, i cried with them.
(my list of favorites is muuuuuch longer, but 5 is enough for now)

Trusova4Ever

On the Ice
Country
United-States
1. Sasha‘s five-quad FS, silver or gold
2. Evgenia and Vladimir’s SP and FS, no one saw that coming
3. Alexa and Brandon’s team SP and individual FS
4. Ashley and Tim’s SP
5. Anna’s FS
Also Alysa’s whole Olympic experience, Ekaterina Kurakova’s FS, Kaori on the podium, Nathan’s redemption, Gabi and Guillaume’s RD and kiss and cry moment, and I FORGOT MADI AND ZACH! ok, this is too hard, oh and T/M’s gala and Sasha as Wonder Woman
THIS! Ok literally all of the "All or nothing", "hard hit or miss", "could win if they're on" skaters (i.e. T/M, AT), hit and hit hard. Like what were the chances of them doing two clean programs and Trusova landing all her quads, AT THE OLYMPICS, when she hasn't landed all of them before at once and in competition?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have not watched everything yet, but in no particular order:

C&B Alien FD in the team event. Skated against all those wintry mountains painted on the boards, it seemed even more like an encounter on an alien planet. That scene had it's greatest impact at the first showing in the team event.

Piper and Paul skating their Vincent program on ice with Van Gogh's Starry Night projected on it in the gala.

The great performances of Tarasova & Morosov in pairs, and their joy at having those redemptive performances at the Olympics! In fact the whole pairs event.

Jason skating Sinnerman so beautifully! And finishing sixth overall.

And Nathan winning in such spectacular style.

Honorable mention to Alysa Liu's joy and Olympic spirit. The IOC should put her on posters! I especially loved her in her gala, as designed and choreographed by the Ice Academy of Montreal dancers, hair by Chock (Alyssa's roommate at the games), makeup by Hubbell, dress borrowed from Olivia Smart, skated to KPop, of which she is a huge fan, choreographed by Jean Luc Baker. I love that the video has gone viral! Well done to all who contributed!

Mark Kondratiuk and Madeline Schizas who skated their very, very best for their respective teams.

Sasha Trusova's gala as Wonder Woman, which is of course her identity in real life.

Cain-Gribble & Leduc's beautiful SP and especially their step sequence! They are truly unique.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
1. Kaori Sakamoto being absolutely brilliant, finally getting some recognition by the judges and being so happy about medalling
2. Jason Brown, Sinnerman and placing sixth overall
3. The aliens
4. Smart/Diaz: two fantastic programs + her hair
5. undecided...Keegan was a joy to watch as were some lower ranked men (Kevin, Deniss, Adam, Donovan), Yuzu's gala program was breathtaking, Wakaba's 3A and joyful Lion King program...

alizardbeth

Spectator
Country
Canada
Honestly, I have been a casual watcher for a long time, but some of these moments have pulled me in. In rough order:

1. Kaori Sakamoto's everything, but particularly the SP. She looked so strong but also emotional and in touch with the music. Her FP was also beautiful. It also melted my heart how absolutely thrilled she was to get bronze!
2. Donovan Carrillo's SP. Beautiful skating, and he was so full of (deserved) joy and pride. His huge smile at the end! And to Santana? Glorious.
3. Papadakis/Cizeron were pure magic, especially in the FD. So in sync and perfect flow with the music.
4. Nathan Chen - both, but that SP! Totally nailed it. Rocketman was fun and he was clearly having a blast.
5. Sui/Han were fantastic, and I cannot imagine how exciting it must be to win gold at home! I particularly liked their SP.

There were definitely others, too. Loved Wakaba Higuchi's Lion King. Yuzuru Hanyu's exhibition was beautiful. Ekaterina Kurakova's FS was another that was pure joy to watch—emotional and smooth. Madeline Schizas shone in the team event. Shoma Uno is always magnetic on the ice.

And Cain-Gribble/LeDuc: the CBC commentators said they were aiming to represent and inspire everyone who feels they don't fit how a skater is supposed to look and move. That really touched me. Loved their matching costumes for that, too. I am so proud of LeDuc for being the first non-binary athlete at the Olympics!

noskates

Record Breaker
1. Jason's SP and his free skate - beautiful - and a 6th place finish without a quad!!! Take that Tara!
2. Sui and Han's quad twist and their skates in general. Thrilling to watch.
3. Nathan's long program and his exhibition program
4. Cizeron and Papadakis - beauty on ice
5. Kaori Sakamoto's reaction to winning the bronze - pure joy and well-deserved

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Honestly, I have been a casual watcher for a long time, but some of these moments have pulled me in. In rough order:

1. Kaori Sakamoto's everything, but particularly the SP. She looked so strong but also emotional and in touch with the music. Her FP was also beautiful. It also melted my heart how absolutely thrilled she was to get bronze!
2. Donovan Carrillo's SP. Beautiful skating, and he was so full of (deserved) joy and pride. His huge smile at the end! And to Santana? Glorious.
3. Papadakis/Cizeron were pure magic, especially in the FD. So in sync and perfect flow with the music.
4. Nathan Chen - both, but that SP! Totally nailed it. Rocketman was fun and he was clearly having a blast.
5. Sui/Han were fantastic, and I cannot imagine how exciting it must be to win gold at home! I particularly liked their SP.

There were definitely others, too. Loved Wakaba Higuchi's Lion King. Yuzuru Hanyu's exhibition was beautiful. Ekaterina Kurakova's FS was another that was pure joy to watch—emotional and smooth. Madeline Schizas shone in the team event. Shoma Uno is always magnetic on the ice.

And Cain-Gribble/LeDuc: the CBC commentators said they were aiming to represent and inspire everyone who feels they don't fit how a skater is supposed to look and move. That really touched me. Loved their matching costumes for that, too. I am so proud of LeDuc for being the first non-binary athlete at the Olympics!
thanks for sharing : definitely great top 5. for pointers, Le Duc is the first non-binary athlete at the winter olympics. Quinn is the first one at the summer Olympics if I am not mistaken, and a gold medallist on top of that !

rain

Record Breaker
Papadakis/Cizeron, both programs
Sui/Han free skate
Maddie Schizas in the team event
Hawayek/Baker in the FD
Jason Brown SP (even though I thought it was choreographically better in its original form last year)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) Tarasova & Morozov FS
2) Sui & Han
3) Wakaba FS (& her 3As!)
4) Madeline Schizas doing great in the Team Event
5) Men's Event (Seriously, how can anybody pick! (Shoma's everything including Team Event, Brendan saving his best skates for the Olys!, Keegan arriving just in time, Donovan everything & going viral, Yuma, Jason everything, Mark K giving himself lashes, Nathan RocketQuadMan -- sorry, I know I'm cheating!)

Top 10 would be easier! :laugh: There was a lot to like!