Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

tetana

Rinkside
I guess for every name you quoted there are probably many thousand names who think otherwise. So still the sore losers are outnumbered. They are noisy on this forum, but it doesn't mean much outside of it.

Oh. I don't want to be rude to you. However, I don't want to see you in Yuna's thread. Not this time. There are numerous voices about this weird comeptition. That's so cetain that there are much more people who were disappointed. Most commentators including france, BBC, NBC etc said about home advantage. If you didn't see it, YOU need to worry about your sight. Generally speaking, there should be no questions to judging system. At least not like this.

vegarin

On the Ice
I guess for every name you quoted there are probably many thousand names who think otherwise. So still the sore losers are outnumbered. They are noisy on this forum, but it doesn't mean much outside of it.

Why bother responding, then? If she's totally justified to win in the eye of these "thousand names", then why do you about what some of us think? Peck us as delusional, leave us, and go play somewhere else.

If every skater's score was fair in the eye of most people, then I hardly think you'd feel the need to justify her win by tearing down others' performances. When Yuna won 2013, mere a year ago (and oh, right, Adelina was there, too, wasn't she?), no one questioned that she deserved to win, regardless of scores.

Krislite

Medalist

Give it time. It's only been a few hours.

MizukiS

Rinkside
Reposting from the FS thread

Unlurking just to say farewell to a beloved Queen! Kim Yuna may not be everyone's cup of tea but no one can dispute the legacy and respect she's leaving behind in the Figure Skating world. A champion through and through. Nerves of steel and with a heart of gold. One of the best ladies figure skater of all time! (but to me she's the BEST :)).

I was truly disappointed with the result/judging. But still I'm happy with the fact that Yuna was able to do what she wanted to do in her last competitive season, that is to skate again another two clean programs in the biggest arena of the sports (back to back!). That in itself is already a very rare accomplishment. Earning her greater respect from colleagues, casual viewers and most especially her fans. For that she's already a winner to me and almost to everyone else I'm sure.

Congratulations again Queen Yuna! To quote someone from twitter, "a Queen is still a Queen even if her crown is silver!" Well she already has the gold too :p She will be remembered and revered for a long time. A skater who owns world record scores & major championship titles, and who was never off the international podium her entire career!!! You truly are a league on your own.

Jewels

On the Ice
Yuna was the best no matter what, I don't care what color her medal is, she'll be remembered as one of the best female skaters in history. I'm just proud that she got here after all the things happened these past years, and because she's satisfied with her performance, I'm so happy for her too. Congratulations Yuna! I'll miss watching her skating so much :cry:

jen0210

Spectator
yuna, you are a true queen and champion.:love: I'll never forget your two beautiful performances in olympics. but i think you'd better come home earlier. we are sooooooo ready to give you a warm hug and russia doesn't deserve your 'imagine' gala.:p

s_parks

Record Breaker
yuna, you are a true queen and champion.:love: I'll never forget your two beautiful performances in olympics. but i think you'd better come home earlier. we are sooooooo ready to give you a warm hug and russia doesn't deserve your 'imagine' gala.:p

Well they can "imagine" the gold was fair.

I don't know If someone already made a thread about this but I'm in shock!

Here's the link http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf this is sad and just not fair for someone who worked so hard to be perfect that day, didn't matter how perfect her land was, they gave her a 0! How unfair!

It almost looks like an inadvertent keying error, to me. That same judge gave Kim straight +2's on every other element, and on three of the five components, a higher score than the average of the panel. I guess that's why they have the rule about discarding the highest and the lowest mark for each GOE.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Had the Olympics been in South Korea Kim's triple flip in the short would have scored 2-3 points more than Sotnikova's as opposed to gaining less points (of course that extreme would have been biased too, I am considering the bias both ways which is what makes figure skating these days such a farce).

usethis2

Medalist
In fairness, though, Yulia got -3 on one of her famous spins in the SP. That has to be a mistake or an outlier.

It's not one judge's one GOE but the overall trends that are disturbing. Look at the big picture of the GOE and especially PCS. Adelina's PCS boosted up in FS even compared to her SP, which happened a day before. How hilarious is that. And arguably Adelina skated better in the SP.

Angela V

Rinkside
Had the Olympics been in South Korea Kim's triple flip in the short would have scored 2-3 points more than Sotnikova's as opposed to gaining less points (of course that extreme would have been biased too, I am considering the bias both ways which is what makes figure skating these days such a farce).

Considering that Yuna is the better skater all around, she should be ahead of Sotnikova anyway. Other skaters should be ahead of Sotnikova anyway.

starrynight

On the Ice

Okay, then at least bring the names proving your point. But please not your mom, dad, wife, janitor or cat's names, espeically those residing in Russia.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Oh man, if nothing else, I'm glad that Yuna finally own you over. That is some accomplishment. :biggrin:
Honestly while I am sometimes critical of some parts of her skating, I have always enjoyed her programs up to 2010. This quad I really enjoyed her Arirang, her Les Miserables, and her Send in the Clowns. She didn't have to "win me over," I just didn't feel too passionate about her. But I would never deny that she is a phenomenon who single-handedly changed South Korean skating, that she is a fierce competitor in the vein of Katarina Witt, that she has the best toe jumps of anyone, that she can hold an audience spellbound, and that she is easily one of the all-time greats. And now she's retired. :(

Krislite

Medalist
These two skates in Sochi together are among her best. She was visibly nervous which affected her expression, but she showed a lot of grit despite the pressure and the burden. She did not collapse, in either the SP or LP, and showed what an undoubtedly fierce competitor she is. Her only mistake was a scratchy landing on the 3Lutz, but unlike Sotnikova she actually landed it on one foot and didn't stumble.

In the end as a big fan of hers I got what I wanted most from her comeback--to see her end her career at the Olympics on a high note, whatever the scores.

I want to add, that this competition confirmed the neat pattern of consistency I have seen from Yuna. Namely, the bigger the competition, the cleaner her skates get. She went two-for-two at both the Vancouver and Sochi Olympics, was also clean at last year's Worlds, and only one mistake at Worlds 2009 LP. In her other competitions, she had never go clean back-to-back, although she's done plenty of clean SP's. :)

guanchi

On the Ice
Yeon Ah,
You are the true undisputed champion of our hearts, and an incredible young woman. There are no regrets for any of your outcomes because you exceeded our expectations beyond measure. To be honest, just watching your performances made the drudgery of my work, the brain-grinding woes of traffic, and the wracking physical pains of my body just melt away. There are many words to describe the beauty of your skating, but only others can put them together better than I could ever had hoped. Good luck in everything life, and God bless.
- A fan

vegarin

On the Ice
In the end as a big fan of hers I got what I wanted most from her comeback--to see her end her career at the Olympics on a high note, whatever the scores.

Amen. Thank you for working so hard and doing your best, Yuna. We really appreciate it.