Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 207 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Um, because R&J is a tragedy, and the music sounds tragic/sad? Not sure how you wouldn't see the tragedy...

I can't really comment regarding the potential quality of the program, since I have never seen it done anywhere close to an acceptable level.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Um, because R&J is a tragedy, and the music sounds tragic/sad? Not sure how you wouldn't see the tragedy...

I can't really comment regarding the potential quality of the program, since I have never seen it done anywhere close to an acceptable level.

Yulia and Eteri both said it wasn't a literal R&J tragedy but instead the story of a young girl finding first love. The TEB FS wasn't that bad. Sure one fall and an edge but it was decent enough to capture a glimpse of her creation. In any event and contrary to their words it wound up being a tragedy in the end :laugh: ...I mean ..:cry: ....:confused2:

I edited and changed the music in this video here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTR5Y7KJC_Q

Thanks to all of Yulia's fans for pushing the views to almost 2000 in just about a months time :bow:

Last edited:

MalAssada

Medalist
Yulia should take the most of this misfortune and rest. Like Snow63 said, check if Edeas are the best brand for her, and if not, make the change quick. Think about new programs for next season, and IMO, get a new choreographer. Ilya was great for SL, but if feels like the programs he did later were just recicled. Try a different style of music. Kill Bill, so Alba can be the happiest person on earth, or The Godfather, a warhorse I'd love to see her skating. Heck, skate to Mulan and surprise everyone. Fix your jump technique - as much as I'm her fan, I agree that the take off of the jumps are bad - have some fun.

No one can win every time - I hope she understands that.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I think the program itself is the main part why Yulia is struggling. She's not comfortable with it. It's doesn't matter if it's tragedy or not, she can skate tragic programs (SL and even 'You don't give up on love' were both tragic). She probably doen't 'love' the program, and it's showing. That's why Eteri said she wanted to re-do it.
Even if 'Mulan' sucked, they still should have keep it for this season. It was 'her' program, she's chosen it, no need to throw it out the window just because it's not 'mature' enough, and Yulia's doubts about what fans and judges will think about it. But oh well, who knew?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yulia and Eteri both said it wasn't a literal R&J tragedy but instead the story of a young girl finding first love.

I edited and changed the music in this video here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTR5Y7KJC_Q

That might be their intended interpretation, but I'm not sure that really comes across to many viewers when they watch this program. Not for me, even knowing the intention...

Thanks for the video. :)

makaihime

Final Flight
This is good for her. The timing is perfect IMO, better to have a bad season at the start of a new Olympic season than later. Get it out of your system, learn from it, and fix whatever you need to fix in the next 2 years. There's still plenty of time, and shes so young. Its just the beginning for her and I hope both Yulia and her team realizes that. Get some rest, its been a long year and don't hold onto the results from this season. :clap:

Alba

Record Breaker

The ending is tragic, but there is whole story in-between. Her program is not about Juliet dying, but if that's what you see fine.

You don't have to see a clean skate to see the potential in a program. But that's just me maybe.
Anyway, I don't see the point discussing the program since the problem is not the choreo.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Is there any events this season except Euros and Worlds where Yulia can participate?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is good for her. The timing is perfect IMO, better to have a bad season at the start of a new Olympic season than later. Get it out of your system, learn from it, and fix whatever you need to fix in the next 2 years. There's still plenty of time, and shes so young. Its just the beginning for her and I hope both Yulia and her team realizes that. Get some rest, its been a long year and don't hold onto the results from this season. :clap:

In bowling they always say if you're going to leave a frame open (no strike or spare) it might as well be the first one because it doesn't hurt the overall score as bad. Wait....did I just reference bowling? Sorry, there was a bowling alley by the skatepark I grew up at and when the rain came we hit the lanes. I'm so lame.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The ending is tragic, but there is whole story in-between. Her program is not about Juliet dying, but if that's what you see fine.

I never said I see death in this program. I simply said that R&J is a tragedy and the music edit is very somber/sad. To watch this program, I don't think 'happy times'.

I am really interested in learning more about the program and choreography, and which parts of it are intended to be bright, happy, and about first love? I guess my artistic eye isn't very strong, I cannot pick up on these things.

Snow63

Record Breaker
:laugh: Yes, I will!:bow::points:

Yes, there are 2 or 3, If I'm correct. But for what purpose? Is it worth for the ranking?

I don't care about ranking. I just wish she end season on a major note. She needs at least one clean skate, just to believe in herself again. Maybe without any pressure on some irrelevant event she will skate at least without falls. IMO, she really needs it now, probably more than ever.

rafalgorka

Rinkside
Don't worry Yulia!!! You will come back stronger!!! You have a lot of fans and we don't support you only when it's good. Your Schindler's List FP is already in the skating Hall of Fame and nothing is going to change that. Keep fighting, young lady!!! We are with you!!!

Yamita

On the Ice
Yulia and her mom gave up almost everything when they moved to Moscow. I recall only Yulia brings in income. Is it still the case?
Without attending many major competitions this year, does anybody know how serious the financial impact will be for her family?

I am asking these questions totally out of my ignorance.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't blame Yulia for the mistakes. I know she's had boot issues, competition issues, program issues, and whatnot. I only wish I had seen her fight a bit more (which I did see in GPF). But if there's any time to have a bad season, it's now, in the beginning of a new cycle.

I really do like the R&J program. Today was probably its worst outing since CoC, so it's not indicative of how the program was as a whole. It's sweet, tender, and yes, tragic--perhaps that wasn't the artist's intention, but this particular consumer interpreted it that way. Nobody drinks poison dramatically a la Jason Brown's Tristan and Isolde (which I also love), but there is a strand of melancholy in it, as there should be in a tale of love. In GPF, when she goes into the spiral with a valiant smile on her face, I think it captured the sides of love: the joy, the beauty, and the sorrow lurking behind.

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Waiting for news from Yulia's team to see how they want to go to B Events, or if they'll take a break for the season.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I really do like the R&J program. Today was probably its worst outing since CoC, so it's not indicative of how the program was as a whole. It's sweet, tender, and yes, tragic--perhaps that wasn't the artist's intention, but this particular consumer interpreted it that way. Nobody drinks poison dramatically a la Jason Brown's Tristan and Isolde (which I also love), but there is a strand of melancholy in it, as there should be in a tale of love. In GPF, when she goes into the spiral with a valiant smile on her face, I think it captured the sides of love: the joy, the beauty, and the sorrow lurking behind.

Thanks, Sandpiper. This is a very eloquent explanation of the positive side of the program, although we are in agreement that there is certainly tragedy and melancholy in there... to me, it is the most dominating element.

MalAssada

Medalist
Yulia and her mom gave up almost everything when they moved to Moscow. I recall only Yulia brings in income. Is it still the case?
Without attending many major competitions this year, does anybody know how serious the financial impact will be for her family?

I am asking these questions totally out of my ignorance.

I'm only guessing, but she now has an apartment because of Sochi (no more renting) and she also sold her SUV, which I don't know how much it's worth in Russia but must be a reasonable amount. In the summer, she did shows = $$$ She won't have as many sponsors now, but she did win two silver medals in the GP. I will google how much each is worth :)

EDIT: She has earned 26k (dollars) with her two silvers, and 4k dollars with her 5th place in GPF. The Russian ruble seems to be low; with 30 thousand dollars earned this year, she's got over 1,5 million rubles.

I don't remember how much Nugumanova said she spent per year, and I will also try to find that, but a wild guess would be 500k rubles. Even if we double that, Yulia would still be fine financially.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never said I see death in this program. I simply said that R&J is a tragedy and the music edit is very somber/sad. To watch this program, I don't think 'happy times'.

I am really interested in learning more about the program and choreography, and which parts of it are intended to be bright, happy, and about first love? I guess my artistic eye isn't very strong, I cannot pick up on these things.

I'm not so sure first love is always bright and happy anymore than death being always tragic. I think the point was that it isn't intended to be a literal portrayal of R&J. I always just enjoyed the soft delicate choreo. She has tender arm gestures which to me represent the first more innocent moments one experiences in discovering love for the first time. I think though it is simply a theme and maybe the rest is left to the viewer. Yulia is very passionate and she posts very few videos on VK but of the ones she has there are several that are of people doing kind and considerate things that make the world better. One of them is a tear jerker that shows kids with terminal illnesses in a hospital set to music where people find themselves in the kids and go to help. I think she is just one of those emotional 16 yr old girls who has big dreams of a beautiful world.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I think though it is simply a theme and maybe the rest is left to the viewer.

I do believe this to be true. It is generally very difficult to discern a skater's intended portrayal within a program, unless you have it explained to you, or do the research to discover what the theme is intended to be. Then you can try to visualize those elements within the performance. With a story as dominating as R&J, I think a skater would need to deliver a powerful performance to leave a viewer thinking things other than, "This is sad" or "This feels like a tragedy."

And as you mentioned, clearly this program does come off as a tragedy, regardless of the original intent, and it is a shame that technical elements really hamper one's ability to see beyond the tragic theme one associates with R&J...

Yamita

On the Ice
I'm only guessing, but she now has an apartment because of Sochi (no more renting) and she also sold her SUV, which I don't know how much it's worth in Russia but must be a reasonable amount. In the summer, she did shows = $$$ She won't have as many sponsors now, but she did win two silver medals in the GP. I will google how much each is worth :)

EDIT: She has earned 26k (dollars) with her two silvers, and 4k dollars with her 5th place in GPF. The Russian ruble seems to be low; with 30 thousand dollars earned this year, she's got over 1,5 million rubles.

I don't remember how much Nugumanova said she spent per year, and I will also try to find that, but a wild guess would be 500k rubles. Even if we double that, Yulia would still be fine financially.

Thank you bellflower. The last thing I want to see is that she is distracted from (or even forced out of) skating because of financial situation.