Yuzuru Hanyu | Page 238 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
A wonderful article, linked by Henni, about Yuzu's GUCCI deal and outlining just how wonderful he is and why he is the greatest.

This article was published in no less than Il Corriere della Sera (The Evening Mail), the reference newspaper in Italy!
And while the notice of a new Brand Ambassador for Italian fashion brand Gucci seems logical, there had already been an article about the ice fields showing images of Yuzuru Hanyu in an earlier article.
https://www.corriere.it/moda/24_mar...ci-b2ac82df-746e-4fb8-a9ce-e43c7c047xlk.shtml

http://pianetahanyu.altervista.org/corriere-della-sera%e3%82%88%e3%82%8a%e3%80%8c%e6%97%a5%e6%9c%ac%e3%81%ae%e7%94%b0%e3%82%93%e3%81%bc%e3%82%a2%e3%83%bc%e3%83%88%ef%bd%9e%e6%b0%b4%e7%94%b0%e3%81%8c%e7%b5%b5%e7%94%bb%e3%81%ab%e3%81%aa/

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
And speaking of Italian press, I love Massimiliano Ambesi when he speaks of Yuzuru Hanyu's elegance on ice (of course) but also off ice... Well, maybe he means his deport, or more figuratively his class; or maybe his sartorial choices for interviews and official functions, but for all we know, when he's off ice, not in an official function, he wears some old black joggers...
https://twitter.com/max_ambesi/status/1768375088582160578

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
For those registering now for the lottery to be able to buy tickets for RE_PRAY in Sendai, one can give five choices of categories (but one can give less, if one really want to stick to a category or two), I'm afraid that the poster isn't very good at probabilities? Except that in this system, those giving the whole five choices may be likelier to get a ticket than those restricting themselves to a category or two; but overall, there are still far less seats than people wanting to sit on them:
https://twitter.com/yuzurujenn/status/1768553242802483302

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Photographer Sunao Noto, author of several photo books of Yuzuru Hanyu, had given three lectures about the evolution of Yuzuru Hanyu through the shutter, I think that yesterday's in Sendai was the last, he exhibited pretty kewpies:
https://twitter.com/sunao_noto/status/1768854660180525559

Another photographer, Taichi Kaizuka, from the Mainichi, is going to give a lecture, in Sendai too (Mediatheque, 7th floor, 24th 10:30am to noon) about Yuzuru Hanyu's expressiveness:
https://twitter.com/taichi_kaizuka/status/1768993284003655989

https://www.nhk-cul.co.jp/programs/program_1288848.html

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
People who buy the Gucci shoes worn by Yuzuru Hanyu on the "Welcome Gucci Brand Ambassador" photo in a Chinese shop, have his name on the bill:
https://twitter.com/Juliana49139350/status/1769288009831309684?ref_url=

Also, if one goes on the Gucci China online shop and type Yuzuru Hanyu's name in Chinese, one gets the article he's worn in different photo shoots.
Although I suppose that Gucci's main objective is to increase their visibility and sales in Japan, it is clear that they rely on him for China too.

Conversely, on Chinese social media, fans of a number of Chinese actors, some of them stars, are protesting against the nomination of Yuzuru Hanyu as a Brand Ambassador for Gucci "because he has done only one photo shoot for them, while their favourites have attended scores of fashion shows and the like, without getting that title (or without even getting the inferior but coveted title of "Friend of the Brand")"; others because they feel that it threatens the title their favourites is already holding. It seems that getting a big luxury brand's Ambassador title is a literal cutthroat and perhaps a full-time job, often needing a PR agency.

I had already written a post (or two?) about those people paid (twice the usual maximum price, 1$ per post) to denigrate Yuzuru Hanyu on Chinese social media (and even on Western social media) since last Summer. Now it's clear for me. His extraordinary popularity in China since Beijing Games, his hugely successful photo shoot with Gucci attire for Elle Japan last June, for those Chinese celebrities and their agencies, hyper attentive to the least sign of appearance of a new rival, meant that there was some Ambassador title at stake, and I suppose that they wanted to eliminate him from the race they were in, by sending false or derogatory information, or automated massive posting; some of the people asked to do it alerted Cfanyus, who were in such large numbers and so motivated as to defeat not only the one-post-at-once paid denigrators by downvoting them, but also the robots! I was happy of the result, but still worried because I couldn't make out what was behind.
Now, I feel perfectly satisfied that this came from some agency (or several, or some celebrity) who wanted to prevent Yuzuru Hanyu from becoming Gucci Brand Ambassador because they wanted the title for themselves or their clients. I read many reports that this was common practice between celebrities in China. I'm still not happy about the denigration itself and hope that this culture will cease, but I'm not worried anymore. And kudos for the Cfanyus!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
People who buy the Gucci shoes worn by Yuzuru Hanyu on the "Welcome Gucci Brand Ambassador" photo in a Chinese shop, have his name on the bill:
https://twitter.com/Juliana49139350/status/1769288009831309684?ref_url=

Also, if one goes on the Gucci China online shop and type Yuzuru Hanyu's name in Chinese, one gets the article he's worn in different photo shoots.
Although I suppose that Gucci's main objective is to increase their visibility and sales in Japan, it is clear that they rely on him for China too.

Conversely, on Chinese social media, fans of a number of Chinese actors, some of them stars, are protesting against the nomination of Yuzuru Hanyu as a Brand Ambassador for Gucci "because he has done only one photo shoot for them, while their favourites have attended scores of fashion shows and the like, without getting that title (or without even getting the inferior but coveted title of "Friend of the Brand")"; others because they feel that it threatens the title their favourites is already holding. It seems that getting a big luxury brand's Ambassador title is a literal cutthroat and perhaps a full-time job, often needing a PR agency.

I had already written a post (or two?) about those people paid (twice the usual maximum price, 1$ per post) to denigrate Yuzuru Hanyu on Chinese social media (and even on Western social media) since last Summer. Now it's clear for me. His extraordinary popularity in China since Beijing Games, his hugely successful photo shoot with Gucci attire for Elle Japan last June, for those Chinese celebrities and their agencies, hyper attentive to the least sign of appearance of a new rival, meant that there was some Ambassador title at stake, and I suppose that they wanted to eliminate him from the race they were in, by sending false or derogatory information, or automated massive posting; some of the people asked to do it alerted Cfanyus, who were in such large numbers and so motivated as to defeat not only the one-post-at-once paid denigrators by downvoting them, but also the robots! I was happy of the result, but still worried because I couldn't make out what was behind.
Now, I feel perfectly satisfied that this came from some agency (or several, or some celebrity) who wanted to prevent Yuzuru Hanyu from becoming Gucci Brand Ambassador because they wanted the title for themselves or their clients. I read many reports that this was common practice between celebrities in China. I'm still not happy about the denigration itself and hope that this culture will cease, but I'm not worried anymore. And kudos for the Cfanyus!

The Chinese entertainment industry is really cut-throat: I am a fan of some Chinese dramas and so listen to a couple of youtubers on it, and careers of some actors and idols severely impacted. And the number of sports stars on the list is even tinier (after all, sports stars are not often as goodlooking as actors and singers... and Yuzu :biggrin:)

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
The Chinese entertainment industry is really cut-throat: I am a fan of some Chinese dramas and so listen to a couple of youtubers on it, and careers of some actors and idols severely impacted. And the number of sports stars on the list is even tinier (after all, sports stars are not often as goodlooking as actors and singers... and Yuzu :biggrin:)
Well, now fashion has Yuzuru. He's not only a sports star looking good enough to model. He's also an artist with vision in many domains & someone with exceptional mirroring capabilities & proficiency in virtually any move. Any piece of clothes that looked like a rag on professional models were looking much better on him. Like those white/blue clothes on previous AERA photo shoot one of which landed in US museums.
Since he was told that clothes had a way they wanted to be worn (meaning, I suppose, that its designer and maker had an idea of how it should be worn, and in high fashion they're all really talented people), it took another dimension. Plus, he looks alive & glowing when professional models look extinct/dead. I believe that in spite of his short height he's THE model. Good looking, top level artistic vision including tech details, charisma... Where does his insane waist fit in my description? Well I'm sure I'm forgetting more.
Also, given that social image counts in fashion world, the fact that Yuzuru Hanyu has already given 3M$ of his own money (or rights to money, which is about the same) before any candidacy to Brand Ambassador, looks more than good.
The only less good thing is that I don't think that he will attend many brand events, particularly abroad. But that's the drawback of being such a successful and active professional.

Magill

Record Breaker
Well, now fashion has Yuzuru. He's not only a sports star looking good enough to model. He's also an artist with vision in many domains & someone with exceptional mirroring capabilities & proficiency in virtually any move. Any piece of clothes that looked like a rag on professional models were looking much better on him. Like those white/blue clothes on previous AERA photo shoot one of which landed in US museums.
Since he was told that clothes had a way they wanted to be worn (meaning, I suppose, that its designer and maker had an idea of how it should be worn, and in high fashion they're all really talented people), it took another dimension. Plus, he looks alive & glowing when professional models look extinct/dead. I believe that in spite of his short height he's THE model. Good looking, top level artistic vision including tech details, charisma... Where does his insane waist fit in my description? Well I'm sure I'm forgetting more.
Also, given that social image counts in fashion world, the fact that Yuzuru Hanyu has already given 3M$ of his own money (or rights to money, which is about the same) before any candidacy to Brand Ambassador, looks more than good.
The only less good thing is that I don't think that he will attend many brand events, particularly abroad. But that's the drawback of being such a successful and active professional.
One thing you have forgotten to list is the insane range of moves and positions he's able to offer to the camera. It is one of defining features of modelling for photography rather than on the runway. And here Yuzu has some toys and tricks completely out of reach for the majority of even most professional and talented models, making anything, I mean anything, look magical :)
I mean, how many models would be able to even think of the flying position from the famous Elle cover?