2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14

Meoima

Match Penalty
But for what it's worth TES when a simplex viewer think the program is mediocre?
Oh please stop it. Voronov landed all of his jumps beautifully and they were huge, he was on fire. Of course his TES is much higher than Jason. He deserves it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, it's true. But I think (as a European) the American skaters were underscored than Voronov and Brezina overscored. Misha Ge, Fernadez and the Japonese had the right scores.

Eh, I agree with the placements. Jason made a costly error on that 3-3 and his spins were not as good as they usually are. And everyone else skated well with quads.

Jason's strategy didn't work cause he skated relatively poorly (for him) while everyone else rose to the occasion.

The judges did think Jason was good enough for the 3rd highest PCS, so they did acknowledge the performance ability.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 93.92 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Sergei VORONOV (RUS) - 90.33 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 81.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 80.89 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Misha GE (UZB) - 79.69 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Max AARON (USA) - 77.09 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Jason BROWN (USA) - 76.32 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 74.13 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Jeremy TEN (CAN) - 73.91 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 72.20 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
11. Ivan RIGHINI (ITA) - 69.74 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
12. Moris KVITELASHVILI (RUS) - 62.24 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of Voronov's program at all (if you're trying to evoke a swan, you might wanna leave out the A-spin :laugh:), but he skated well, with all the elements and solid presentation. He was on another level compared to Jason today, who not only lacked the hardest jump, but also fell out of his combination and messed up his final spin.

Imo, a casual viewer would like to see the guy with the solid elements and greater difficulty place (much) higher than the guy with a wonky spin and a bad combination. I love Jason--and I'm neutral on Voronov--but if I had never seen either of them before today, I'd have liked Voronov more based on those performances.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Eh, I agree with the placements. Jason made a costly error on that 3-3 and his spins were not as good as they usually are. And everyone else skated well with quads.

Jason's strategy didn't work cause he skated relatively poorly (for him) while everyone else rose to the occasion.

The judges did think Jason was good enough for the 3rd highest PCS, so they did acknowledge the performance ability.
And Max?

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
OK. Maybe I look at everything through the lens of dance. I prefer American style than Russian style. It's much more interesting. OK, Jason is my favorite but I'm sorry for all the skaters Americans think they deserve more. I don't like the Russian style. And BTW congratulations for Misha GE! He has a strong character!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Just watched the performances and I don't get comparing Jason to Sergei

I always think of Yuna when I hear Danse Macabre but Sergei had a great running edge coming out of that 4T-3T, also fantastic height, don't think he really brings out the music but TES wise, great, congrats to him, I love surprises like this
as for Jason, getting under 80 for a poor skate with no quad is very fair, his spins weren't on today either

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
OK. Maybe I look at everything through the lens of dance. I prefer American style than Russian style. It's much more interesting. OK, Jason is my favorite but I'm sorry for all the skaters Americans think they deserve more. I don't like the Russian style. And BTW congratulations for Misha GE! He has a strong character!

It's not the Russian style. It's sports - elements have to be executed as well, not just dance movements.