Am I too late to become professional? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Am I too late to become professional?

posha

Rinkside
Also meant to note*

You don't have to jump!!! Try ice dance or solo dance or synchro. Most of all, love every minute you get to spend on the ice! Put yourself in an environment where there are people who you want to skate like.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

The end.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I began taking private lessons at age 18 and was basically a beginner. ( I had only taught myself to do crossovers, waltz jump and a few single jumps by copying other skaters on public skate sessions).

I just turned 31 and became a Senior Gold Medalist in Moves-in- the-Field, and aim aiming to pass my Senior Free skate test in a month or so (just passed Junior Free this summer).

I currently have all double jumps including consistent double axel -and just landed triple loop last week for the first time. I do have a small body type and people get confused about my age, but I wanted to post to let people know it's possible to learn all this as an older beginner.

It's taken 12 years of hard work and many failures and a lot of$$$$$ to get this far. I get to train with elite skaters and I will tell you now-- Even the most talented have to pay their dues in time, commitment and finance. Nothing learned quickly is done well. And just because you are talented doesn't mean you will get a medal or become a champion. There is some luck, timing, and Providence involved in getting to the top along with everything else.

Can you become a professional skater? Most skaters don't. Doesn't matter your age, ability, or wealth.

Can you become a professional skater learning as an adult? No one has done this yet.

Don't let this information stop you! If you have a dream, go ahead and start where you are with what you have and let's see what you can do!!! A lot of things we thought were impossible became possible because someone was crazy enough to try.

Consult your doctor, find a good coach that you like, and GO SKATE! We are all a little crazy here ;)

This is so amazing and inspirational. As an adult beginning skating, thank you. Also, it's pretty amazing you were able to do all those singles just by copying other people.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I began taking private lessons at age 18 and was basically a beginner. ( I had only taught myself to do crossovers, waltz jump and a few single jumps by copying other skaters on public skate sessions).

I just turned 31 and became a Senior Gold Medalist in Moves-in- the-Field, and aim aiming to pass my Senior Free skate test in a month or so (just passed Junior Free this summer).

I currently have all double jumps including consistent double axel -and just landed triple loop last week for the first time. I do have a small body type and people get confused about my age, but I wanted to post to let people know it's possible to learn all this as an older beginner.

It's taken 12 years of hard work and many failures and a lot of$$$$$ to get this far. I get to train with elite skaters and I will tell you now-- Even the most talented have to pay their dues in time, commitment and finance. Nothing learned quickly is done well. And just because you are talented doesn't mean you will get a medal or become a champion. There is some luck, timing, and Providence involved in getting to the top along with everything else.

Can you become a professional skater? Most skaters don't. Doesn't matter your age, ability, or wealth.

Can you become a professional skater learning as an adult? No one has done this yet.

Don't let this information stop you! If you have a dream, go ahead and start where you are with what you have and let's see what you can do!!! A lot of things we thought were impossible became possible because someone was crazy enough to try.

Consult your doctor, find a good coach that you like, and GO SKATE! We are all a little crazy here ;)

Congratulations - your hard work has really paid off! But the OP should know that you probably aren't the norm. Anyone who teaches herself crossovers and a waltz jump and other single jumps just by watching other skaters is naturally very talented - I really doubt whether most people could do that. You're amazingly inspirational, though!

posha

Rinkside
Thank you!!! :thank:

No, I'm not the norm.

I guess, moral of the story is: Is ANYONE likely to become a professional skater (or famous top athlete)?? No, not really. Does that mean it's impossible for you? No, not really. Is the fact that it is unlikely to happen reason enough to stop you from trying something? Nah. People with experience can give you the facts, that is all. What you do about it according to your unique ability and passion is another matter. Don't think of limitations just think, 'Do I really want to do this?' and if the answer is 'Yes' go ahead. Start, try to stick with it a while, and see what step you want to take next. Don't be held back by thoughts of immense success.

That is my advice to the OP and my story to provide some :hap10:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What a great post to read going into the New Year!!! Thank you for the inspiration and congratulations on your success. I hope 2017 brings you even greater results!!! :hb:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You just became my new inspiration! I keep telling people that it's possible for an adult skater to someday reach the senior level tests, and you're living proof! So now I can tell them that when they keep questioning me. :D

You didn't read the post at all, did you? Posha admits openly that her incredible achievements are NOT the norm. That it has taken TWELVE YEARS of a lot of blood sweat and tears and a lot of money to get to that point.

Posha also doesn't try to lay claim to being a "professional" (read: competitive) skater. Which was the point of the OP. Who I notice hasn't been back, which I guess is to be expected when you tell someone what they don't want to hear.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
You didn't read the post at all, did you? Posha admits openly that her incredible achievements are NOT the norm. That it has taken TWELVE YEARS of a lot of blood sweat and tears and a lot of money to get to that point.

Posha also doesn't try to lay claim to being a "professional" (read: competitive) skater. Which was the point of the OP. Who I notice hasn't been back, which I guess is to be expected when you tell someone what they don't want to hear.

I agree that an adult can get to SR and that is why they offer adult comps , sectionals and Nationals. For adults.12 years is a long time, and trust me alot of money. It goes back to what you want out of this sport. I also agree most kid skaters dont become professional, if by professional you mean top 4 at nats. I think I read that only 1 percent of skaters that start out in LTS test SR fs. Great goal for anyone !:luv17:

davincisoprano

Rinkside

I know someone who didn't pick up skating until he was 21, and within a few years was skating professionally with Disney on Ice. He was a gymnast for years however, which aided in his skating.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
I know someone who didn't pick up skating until he was 21, and within a few years was skating professionally with Disney on Ice. He was a gymnast for years however, which aided in his skating.

I know some one who started at 18 and at 21 was doing Disney. I dont think he had DA but he had a skillset they were looking for. He stopped testing I think at intermed.

briipop

Spectator
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am so inspired now and once I get the money I will be signing up to train with a coach. I feel like I can accomplish as much as I can if I put my mind to it, and I think doing adult tests and stuff would be a great goal for me. Thank you all so much. :)

concorde

Medalist
I know some one who started at 18 and at 21 was doing Disney. I dont think he had DA but he had a skillset they were looking for. He stopped testing I think at intermed.

I was told the that "minimum" for Disney on Ice is Intermediate. So what you said makes complete sense.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
I was told the that "minimum" for Disney on Ice is Intermediate. So what you said makes complete sense.
To be honest, I think its more like Jr or Sr. This was a tall black male and they could use him for many things. As far as girls its much much harder .We have a a number of friends who right now are doing Disney and cruise ships.

from the websight.
Disney is looking for skaters that are at the junior/senior level.
Skaters should have strong skating skills and especially be good at edges and turns.
Disney On Ice wants performers with acting skills.
Applicants must be able to be team players.
Applicants must be at least 17 years of age and be a high school graduate.

So it doesnt mean you cant, but its does mean you would need to put in the work. I am not trying to discourage you but to be honest. In the almost 15 years my kids have been skating I have seen alot.

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
Thank you for providing the updated information. I was told the intermediate requirement about 5 years ago and had assumed (incorrectly) the requirements had not changed.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
But on another topic, man am I bummed with all the pessimism on this board... would it hurt people to be encouraging instead of being rude and point blank shutting down people's dreams? I'm pretty sure nobody here is an expert on adult sport and physiology, or if they are, they could sure stand to learn some tact. Offering words of caution and advise is one thing. Telling someone they'll never be able to do it no matter what the circumstances are is something entirely different. For all we know, the original poster could have a great innate ability that comes forth once they start learning. :)

I think there is a balance between honesty and encouragement. The fact is, the original poster is not going to compete at senior nationals. If that is what they mean by professional it is not going to happen. I think it's cruel to offer false hope. However that doesn't mean the original poster can't become a great skater with good skating skills, beautiful spins and jumps (maybe even doubles) and compete. I know someone who started as an adult and now competes at Masters Intermediate-Novice level at adult nationals. You have to be a pretty great skater to get there. I hope the original poster is encouraged, there is no reason they can't become a great skater and a competitive skater. Everyone's limit is different and you never know where it is until you try, but there is a point where certain things are unrealistic but skating is still worth it.

(Also, I have a degree in human physiology and a doctorate in physical therapy but even with that it is impossible to say what someone can and can't achieve, but we still have to live in the real world- of the skaters who even pass the Junior and Senior tests, most of them never compete at sectionals or nationals).

Briipop, good luck! I hope you love skating and achieve many things! Don't get discouraged, skate for the love of it.

posha

Rinkside

Whoa!! Are you serious! He must've been one hell of a gymnast. Hard worker and talented.

posha

Rinkside
I read the post in its entirety accurately, and meant exactly what I said. Whether its the norm or not, it is in fact possible. And you don't have to lecture me on the blood, sweat, tears, and financial issues, either. In my 4 years of learning through multiple health issues and setbacks, I've had plenty of that, and am sure more will come in the next 4 years and beyond. I never said it's easy.

Also, if Posha does compete, which I would love to ask if she does, then she or anyone in her situation would be a competitive skater at a really high level (junior freeskating).

But on another topic, man am I bummed with all the pessimism on this board... would it hurt people to be encouraging instead of being rude and point blank shutting down people's dreams? I'm pretty sure nobody here is an expert on adult sport and physiology, or if they are, they could sure stand to learn some tact. Offering words of caution and advise is one thing. Telling someone they'll never be able to do it no matter what the circumstances are is something entirely different. For all we know, the original poster could have a great innate ability that comes forth once they start learning. :)

This subject matter, "Am I too late to..." seems popular. I don't often read the Lutz Corner thread, but I think I will check it out a lot more now. Can someone who posts here frequently tell me, is this subject always popular? I see like 3 or so diff. threads on virtually the same matter. Or is this excitement and longing incited by New Year's resolutions, Yuri on Ice, and upcoming Olympic season?? :p

A little sarcasm there, but yeah is this subject normally popular?

So many questions on what it takes to be a figure skater, for me, sheds light on the niche and often elitist aspect of this sport, in that generally there is a good deal of ignorance or lack of information on the nature of difficulty, dedication, and well---making right connections with the "right' people (aka politics) that it takes to be successful at a high level.
I want to post a few more thoughts later when I get a chance. Thanks! Good conversation

lyndichee

Medalist
This subject matter, "Am I too late to..." seems popular. I don't often read the Lutz Corner thread, but I think I will check it out a lot more now. Can someone who posts here frequently tell me, is this subject always popular? I see like 3 or so diff. threads on virtually the same matter. Or is this excitement and longing incited by New Year's resolutions, Yuri on Ice, and upcoming Olympic season?? :p

A little sarcasm there, but yeah is this subject normally popular?

So many questions on what it takes to be a figure skater, for me, sheds light on the niche and often elitist aspect of this sport, in that generally there is a good deal of ignorance or lack of information on the nature of difficulty, dedication, and well---making right connections with the "right' people (aka politics) that it takes to be successful at a high level.
I want to post a few more thoughts later when I get a chance. Thanks! Good conversation

A frequent lurker here. There is no particular reason other than the fact that figure skating is a very unique sport in my opinion. I think the great thing about figure skating is that what fans can take away from each performance can be very unique. There's athleticism, skill, acting, emotions, personality, dance etc. in skating and many "passive" fans usually like watching the big picture instead of perusing the scoresheet. The sport is so complicated that these fans usually fall into the "I don't know what I don't know" rut and it is just less time consuming to ask.

As for this heated discussion, there should be a balance between being realistic and encouraging. The most important aspect is just to enjoy yourself. Maybe right now you dream of passing senior tests, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy learning your first single jump, holding a spiral etc.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Or is this excitement and longing incited by New Year's resolutions, Yuri on Ice, and upcoming Olympic season?? :p

That one. It's a common question, but it's becoming more frequent at the moment because of YoI.

I actually blame idiot movies like that stupid Ice Princess that make it look like you can do a triple Lutz after a month of skating. The general depiction of figure skating in movies/tv shows etc is so stupid that of course you get all these teenagers who subscribe to the "enything is posabal if u beleeeeeeeeeeeve!" mentality and that it's possible. Add that to morality police who say "no! you can't tell them they can't do something, children should be told they can do anything even if it's not actually possible!" and you've got a perfect mess for this question to be repeated over and over again.

The silliest thing about it is that YoI is actually fairly realistic in its portrayal; they make no secret that Victor has been skating for 20 years, that Yuri has been skating for years, that Yuuri feels he is running out of time, etc etc.

posha

Rinkside
That one. It's a common question, but it's becoming more frequent at the moment because of YoI...

I actually blame idiot movies like that stupid Ice Princess that make it look like you can do a triple Lutz after a month of skating...

The silliest thing about it is that YoI is actually fairly realistic in its portrayal; they make no secret that Victor has been skating for 20 years, that Yuri has been skating for years, that Yuuri feels he is running out of time, etc etc.

Hahah, lol @karne you are hilarious!!! and accurate.

When I started private lessons at 18 y/o, the coach asked me what was my goal and I point blank responded I wanted, you know, to skate Nationals, Worlds, Olympics.. I got a chuckle (as I expected) back, and "It's nice to have dreams, but...."

Coach gave a wise response that neither discouraged or gave false hope: "It takes minimum 12-15 yrs. to make (an elite athlete)..." and I was asked to add those years on to my current age, and that is the age at which I would finally have the skillset and experience to try for a National, World, Olympic team position.

I thought the coach was C r A z Y!!!!!

posha

Rinkside
So if you see a woman competing at the Olympics aged 32-36, "Heeeeeeeeyyyyy!!!!"

:yahoo:

When I think "professional skater" I think one of two options:

1. Makes a significant enough income to make a living solely off of being a skater (pays the bills)

2. Representative of a National team. Eligible to earn the minimum for large comps like Senior B, Grand Prix, Europeans, Four Continents, Worlds, and possibly Olympics. (Exclude Adult worlds or internationals)

Option 1 does not equal option 2, or vice versa.

Most of these questions wondering, "Am I too late.." seem to be gravitate toward option 2. Is it too late to be a pro competitor? I don't think anyone has achieved this feat starting as a teen or adult skater. (Please prove me wrong if you can think of an example, bc I would love to learn!)

To play devil's advocate:
--- Could you--a late starter-- become a pro competitor--- participating in big comps like Euros, Jr. or Sr. Grand prix, 4C, Worlds, Olympics??? Hmmm.

What if you come from a small federation... in which... you are the highest level skater to represent your country? Like, the only Senior skater, or Senior team? Haven't we all seen girls at Jr. Grand Prix or B internationals, etc. who basically throw doubles, with under rotated 2 axel and cheated triples? Or what about an ice dance team who justqualifies for Oly or Worlds, not qualifying for the free skate? If you can make the minimum qualifications to be sent out on some internationals, with no medal hope or income (you could have sponsors though) from skating, would you be considered a "pro" in the competitive sense?

"I marched and competed in the Olympics, the first from my country. Finished last place, but I was there."
"I am a six-time National champion." (but there were no other competitors so you got the title by default. Still, a title is a title).

Depending where you are located and the level of competition in your region, could you go "pro" as a late starter?

Last edited: