Winter Universiade 2017, 31 Jan - 5 Feb | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Winter Universiade 2017, 31 Jan - 5 Feb

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
TRUE but Evgenia and Anna are locked in to go (100%) they will have a skate off I assume before world's for third spot. Probs Radionova/Sotskova/Tuktamysheva likely.

IF Sotskova got Bronze at Euros I would have said all 3 have a ticket for World's but the Door is open for third spot. RuSFed are probably aiming for clean sweep! at world's and as Miyahara/Osmond and now Kostner might spoil there party they will think about the third spot....

That's highly unlikely TBH

rosy14

Final Flight
Much as I love Maria, Lena should get the nod. She was the front runner all along to get the Euros slot, and only missed out due to an under-par showing at Nationals.

Don't forget that Maria was runner up at the Junior versions of the GP Final, Worlds and the Olympics last season. (Not to mention Junior GP Final champion 3 seasons ago). So, she is not exactly adverse to success on the really big stages.

As a Liza fan, I hate to say it. But you have hit the nail on the head. Next season is going to be the deciding moment of her competitive career. If things don't work out well, that's it over.

And I would hate to see that happen. Because we know how good she can be.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza: do you remember Caro 2010 ?
I hate, really hate, when people start to cancel any future better results for good athletes. I mean: either Liza is a fake, and her results in 2014-2015 were due to melsonium, or she's very good, but, for some reason we don 't know (problems with her body, her brai, her heart ?), she can't deliver
Mishin was not there, so perhaps she was affected by that.
And of Mishin can rebuild Caro after two years of stop ( and you know why), he can surely rebuild Liza, who 's only 20.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza: do you remember Caro 2010 ?
I hate, really hate, when people start to cancel any future better results for good athletes. I mean: either Liza is a fake, and her results in 2014-2015 were due to melsonium, or she's very good, but, for some reason we don 't know (problems with her body, her brai, her heart ?), she can't deliver
Mishin was not there, so perhaps she was affected by that.
And of Mishin can rebuild Caro after two years of stop ( and you know why), he can surely rebuild Liza, who 's only 20.

Oh, please don't bring meldonium into the conversation! :rolleye:

The difference between Caro and Liza is the amount of competition they have from home for the international slots.

Back in 2010, Carolina only really had Valetina Marchei as competition. Francesca Rio wasn't quite up to their level, but was a safe number 3 in the team.

Now, I don't think Caro has any competition. Even with Kostner being out of action for a long period of time, Rodegheiro and Russo still aren't quite up to her level.

Liza has about a dozen other girls as competition for the Russian slots. And they are all at a level where they can be safely in the Top 5 at Worlds (if not better).

Liza is younger than Caro was, so in that respect there is plenty of time for her to get her form back. BUT, she does not have the breathing space that Caro has. If she does not get her form back soon, the powers that be will not even look at her as a candidate.

It's not fair on Liza, but that's the way it is in the cut-throad world of Russian Ladies skating.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

rosy14

Final Flight
Oh, please don't bring meldonium into the conversation! :rolleye:

The difference between Caro and Liza is the amount of competition they have from home for the international slots.

Back in 2010, Carolina only really had Valetina Marchei as competition. Francesca Rio wasn't quite up to their level, but was a safe number 3 in the team.

Now, I don't think Caro has any competition. Even with Kostner being out of action for a long period of time, Rodegheiro and Russo still aren't quite up to her

Liza has about a dozen other girls as competition for the Russian slots. And they are all at a level where they can be safely in the Top 5 at Worlds (if not better).

Liza is younger than Caro was, so in that respect there is plenty of time for her to get her form back. BUT, she does not have the breathing space that Caro has. If she does not get her form back soon, the powers that be will not even look at her as a candidate
It's not fair on Liza, but that's the way it is in the cut-throad world of Russian Ladies skating.
CaroLiza_fan

I'm referring to Caro in2010 relating not to her non existent competitors at home, except Valentina (and a lot of critiques arrived after Caro's bad performance at Worlds that year, people believing that Vale would have placed better), but to her international contenders. There is an Italian commentator who loves to say that Worlds 2012 were a "minor" competition, because Queen Yuna wasn't there, not minding there were Mao and others. The same commentator was sure Caro wouldn't have medalled (ANY medal) in Sochi, again because of Yuna, Mao and the Russians.
And the same was not at all convinced of her return to competitions, and would have placed Caro not higher that 4-5 at Euros after the SP. Go figure !
What I mean, sure in Russia it's much difficult, but Liza has alrwady been written off at least three times from the international world, and instead she's still there. We don't know, we cannot know what will happen to Medvedeva if she starts growing up like Radionova, not want will be of Tsurskaia, who keeps injuring herself, or if Sotskova will be the new Adelina. Etc.etc..
So be positive and hopefully Liza will be back again and strong.
Even because Euros and Worlds with three Eteri's girls would be so boring, notwithstanding jumps, jumps, spins, Averbuch' awful choreos, heavy backloading

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm referring to Caro in2010 relating not to her non existent competitors at home, except Valentina (and a lot of critiques arrived after Caro's bad performance at Worlds that year, people believing that Vale would have placed better), but to her international contemdera. There is an Itakin. Ommenatator who lobes to say that Worlds /012 werea "minor" competition, because Queen Ynua wasn't there, not minding there were Mao and others. The same commentator was sure Caro wouldn't have medalled (ANY medal) in Sochi, again because of Yuna, Mao and the Russians.Amd the same was not at all comvinced of her return to competitions, amo would have placed Caro not higher that 4-5 at Euros after the SP. Go figure !
What I mean, sure in Russia it's much dofficult, but Liza has alrwady been written off at least three times from the international world, and instead she's still there. We don't know, we cannot know what will happen to Medvedeva if she starts growing up like Radionova, not want will be of Tsurskaia, who keeps injuring herself, or if Sotskova will be the new Adelina. Etc.etc..
So be positive and hopefully Liza will be back again and strong.
Even because Euros and Worlds with three Eteri's girls would be so boring, nothwistnding jumps, jumps, spins, Averbuch' awful choreos, heavy backloading...
amd critiques were made at ghe timw not to allowing. Awl tina to go intwed of Caro) , but to

Good point about Liza being written off before, but still being in the mix now. Like, before that glorious season a couple of years ago where she won nearly everything that was going, she had been written off.

And I do not subscribe to that theory that Yun-A being absent means a competition wasn't a "real" competition. I have to make clear that I'm biased since I wasn't a big fan of Yun-A, but I was a big fan of Mao. But, for goodness sake, the World Championship is the World Championship! And the Olympics is the Olympics! It doesn't matter who is there or not. They are still the biggest competitions in this sport.

Let's face it, anybody can have a bad day. Carolina was unfortunate that she had one during the Free Skate in Vancouver, and Mao was unfortunate that she had one during the Short Programme in Sochi.

And on a similar vein, anybody can have a bad season, or even a bad couple of seasons.

Most skaters have peaks and troughs in their career. The problem is that people tend to measure them up against the anomaly, Kim Yun-A.

Mao Asada was the other anomaly. But, since her comeback, she has shown that she can be human too.

Carolina and Liza have had more peaks and troughs than most skaters. And that they can come back from the troughs so strong is part of the reason I admire them.

I think what Carolina is doing this season is amazing. And I would love to see Liza do something similar. But I do worry that she will not get the opportunity to, due to the constant conveyor belt of good Russian skaters.

Hopefully my worries will be unfounded and she will return to form next season! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

rosy14

Final Flight
Hey, CaroLiza,
I've just reviewed Carolina's SP at Worlds in 2004. Apart from her fresh look and speed, all the rest is still there: the jumps. the spins, the steps, the arms, the back, the angel, Ina Bauer, amo above all the interpretation.
I really cannot understand their Italian critics. It's true : "nemo propheta in patria" ( no one is a prophet in his country").
Have a good night !

bluelutz

On the Ice
Wow, three nameless Japanese girls were against three Russian senior worlds medalists,
and two Japanese girls ended up on the podium.

I did not expect this!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hey, CaroLiza,
I've just reviewed Carolina's SP at Worlds in 2004. Apart from her fresh look and speed, all the rest is still there: the jumps. the spins, the steps, the arms, the back, the angel, Ina Bauer, amo above all the interpretation.
I really cannot understand their Italian critics. It's true : "nemo propheta in patria" ( no one is a prophet in his country").
Have a good night !

Personally, I never saw anything wrong with her skating apart from the frequency of her falls. But, she got over that problem a number of years ago.

So, I'm not surprised that Mishin was able to get her back to the top so quickly.

I have to be honest - I think that a lot of this negativity in Italy about Carolina is just a case of some people not liking her. And I genuinely can't understand why anybody would not like her! (But, I'm biased, because I'm a fan).

(Unless it is because she's ethnic Austrian. But, I've been told before that that is not an issue in Italy. Hey, a large proportion of the top winter sports stars from Italy have the same background!)

Anyway, this is all getting too far from the subject of the Universiade. So, I'll try and get us back on topic with my next post.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just one more thing about the Ladies before the Men start.

Wow, three nameless Japanese girls were against three Russian senior worlds medalists,
and two Japanese girls ended up on the podium.

I did not expect this!

I wouldn't exactly describe the Japanese girls as unknowns.

Nitaya and Kihara are very familiar to those that follow the junior circuit. In fact, in the three years she has been doing the Junior GP Series (including this year), Nitaya has never finished outside the Top 4. It has been a couple of years since Kihara was in Junior GP's, but she had good results too (lowest was 6th).

Isobe is the unknown quantity that took us all by surprise. She has only done 3 competitions outside of Japan, and the most recent of them was her solitary Junior GP 3 years ago.

But, I agree that they all did very well against the far more experienced Russians.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really good start to the competition from Pavlov.

One of the 14 skaters in this competition that has an overall absolute PB of over 200. And it showed.

Could be in the mix for a Top 10 finish.

Lazukin next. He'll be hoping he does better than his girlfriend.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really enjoyed Lazukin.

He'll take the lead, no question about that.

And he has - by 17 points!

If the first two are anything to go by, this is going to be a really competitive competition.

The second highest ranked of the local skaters is next. (I nearly forgot about Denis! :drama: )

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Bummer, I forgot the time and missed the first two skaters, and they were really good, apparently.
Really curious about Denis Ten.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
IS there stream on match arena?

EDIT: I see not. So no Men SP for me :(

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Andrei did great! I even forgive him for skating to "Nessun Dorma." :laugh: But well...Liza had a great SP, too...:slink:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Rakimgaliev was the best of the skaters that had not broken the magic 200 point mark in the overall score.

And if he continues to perform like he did there now, I would not be surprised if he broke it here.

Really good skate. Just about made it round on the first combination, but other than that faultless.

He'll probably go to the bottom for now. But, there will be lots coming after him that will slot in below him.

EDIT: He didn't! 2nd position.​

Could be another contender for a Top 10 finish.

CaroLiza_fan