Australian figure skaters | Page 97 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Right! Back from the show (actually I got back a while ago, but I was dilly-dallying) and what a fabulous evening! :biggrin:

I didn't get much video (and I haven't uploaded any that I did take), but there was a professional looking guy there filming, so hopefully that footage will show up. It's rather exciting because the latest addition to the renovated rink is a big TV screen! Just like a proper ice rink!

Anywho, there was a lot of skaters there, the youngest was like 6 years old - Shin Miyamoto - who did a routine to various James Bond theme music with a little suit and bow tie on :laugh: very adorable.

There was a Junior Sychronised Skating team - Majestic Ice - who were awesome - they even had one guy which I haven't seen before - not that I watch much Sychronised skating. A very well-put together team.

Before the intermission Brendan, Richard Dornbush and Cameron (no last name given) came out and had a dance battle. Which was hilarious, because Dornbush started with a tribute to Swan Lake (which was as funny as it sounds :p) I didn't know you could skate en pointe!

Then there was a jump battle - which is always fun! Although Cameron no-last-name-given wasn't in that. Needless to say Brendan won it, yaaaay.

Chantelle Kerry and two ice dancing couples (one of them was Matilda and William) were the only ones to do two programs, it was interesting since for her first program Chantelle was dressed all in white and for the second all in black, it made a nice contrast! As for the ice dancers Matilda and William did some good twizzles, but not many lifts, while the other Adele Morrison and Demid Rokachev did some pretty amazing lifts, but no twizzles!

Brendan did the last program, and despite missing his quad it was brilliant - he used Ice Ice Baby, which cracked me up! Can't believe I never thought of that as exhibition program song...seems so obvious, someone must have done it all ready.

And I almost forgot the back flips! I did get a video of that, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to upload it though.

The only downside - the show started late and ended late so everyone had to hurry so the ice hockey players could get on the ice for their practice and Brendan disappeared before I could ask to get a photo with him (I got an autograph a few years back), dang.

Still! You gotta love a good ice skating show.

gsyzf

Medalist
Would the Australian skating fed consider hosting a major championship like 4CC some time in the future?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Would the Australian skating fed consider hosting a major championship like 4CC some time in the future?

I hope so. It would be nice to have something. We are hosting a JGP this season in Brisbane but nothing Major.
Australia once had the chance to host worlds in 2000 but lost it after they failed to negotiate adequate TV agreements.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope so. It would be nice to have something. We are hosting a JGP this season in Brisbane but nothing Major.
Australia once had the chance to host worlds in 2000 but lost it after they failed to negotiate adequate TV agreements.

OMG really?! Damn TV agreements! (Although I suppose they would have wanted the skaters to skate at weird times because of the time difference...Last year at the Olympics in Brazil quite a few events were on quite late so the US could watch them live.)

But a Junior Grand Prix event is still pretty cool! :biggrin: Sydney did host the Junior Worlds in 1996 (which I only found out about a few years back because that was Plushy's first Junior Worlds and when I saw it on YouTube I was like "No way! Why didn't I know I could have gooooone!") So we might get something big sometime!

(And I keep forgetting to download the video I took at the Ice show...whoops, better do something with that!)

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Brisbane hosted the 1988 and 1996 World Junior Figure Skating Championships. Both of these events were held in December of the previous year.

In 1988, Kristi Yamaguchi and Todd Eldredge won the individual events. In 1996, Alexi Yagudin won the men's competition.

Figure skating was also featured at the 2001 Goodwill Games at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre as well. Attendance was excellent.

The 2011 JGP of Brisbane featured skaters like Jason Brown, Courtney Hicks, Brendan Kerry and Brooklee Han.

Hopefully, Australia will send its maximum number of representatives (3 in men, 3 in ladies, and 3 in dance) to the event. Sadly, given our recent success at the 2017 World Junior Championships, pairs will not be featured.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Some interesting information for your enjoyment and information.

I found an interesting report on the ISA website which summarised the ISU meetings in Helsinki, as well as some interesting ideas ISA wants to propose (including an established joint annual development trophy and camp with skaters from AUS, NZ, some SE Asia nations, Sth America. They propose that this competition will occur annually with 2 competitions held in AUS, then 1 in NZ, then repeat).

It also mentions that were multiple proposals put forward in the ISU meeting that could significantly change to the sport next season and in the next cycle if successfully voted on at Congress.
- +5 to -5 GOE and changes to the SOV
- From the next cycle, a proposal to get rid of the short-long structure and have two separate competitions per discipline instead- one technical and one artistic<< This could really open the door for interesting programs and also both programs are of equal importance- no more skip the short and only broadcast the free.
- Other interesting proposals for the future
1) the introduction of three new pattern dances Rhumba D'amour, Maple Leaf March (Piper and Paul's 2015/16 PSt), and the Tea Time Foxtrot (Kaliszek and Spodirev's 2015/15 PSt)- APPROVED
2) reduce the number the illegal movements in ice dance
3) split judging 1/2 panel focuses on TES and the other on PCS
4) change the name of Short Dance to Rhythm Dance
5) have listings of team results with all major competitions
6) Possible World Championship and Challenger series for Advanced Novice

and a big one
7) need to develop their services for smart devices to encourage a new and younger viewing audience, as well as new ways to increase advertising revenue.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think a major stumbling block to us hosting 4CCs/Worlds would actually be our lack of a proper ice stadium. To host an event like that, we'd need to get an arena and have temporary ice put down. Somewhere like the Qudos Arena in Sydney (where they have Disney on Ice). That would make hosting the event considerably more expensive, so you'd have to get more sponsorship money or the government on board.

I think our chances of achieving that sort of thing could be better after Korea, especially if all our skaters do well. There might be enough interest from sponsors then to justify it. And with SBS showing the highlights and livestreaming Worlds this season, the framework for the TV rights is all there.

gsyzf

Medalist
If Katia and Harley (or other Aussie skaters) can become medal contenders in the senior level after 2018, sponsors would be more willing to invest, and it would make it easier for Australia to host major championships.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hopefully, Australia will send its maximum number of representatives (3 in men, 3 in ladies, and 3 in dance) to the event. Sadly, given our recent success at the 2017 World Junior Championships, pairs will not be featured.

It will be very likely that we will use all 9 spots available. :)

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
If they had any big senior competitions in Brisbane, I'd be there for sure! The Brisbane Entertainment Centre often puts down a temp rink for ice hockey and Disney on Ice shows :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If they had any big senior competitions in Brisbane, I'd be there for sure! The Brisbane Entertainment Centre often puts down a temp rink for ice hockey and Disney on Ice shows :)

That'd actually probably be one of the better options, as BEC is just down the road from Boondall where they could have practices.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
That'd actually probably be one of the better options, as BEC is just down the road from Boondall where they could have practices.

It drove me nuts to think that Rod Laver Arena created temporary ice for an ice hockey exhibition match last year, but we've never hosted an international in Melbourne.

beki

Medalist
What a story! What a great mother, family, coaches. We really do see only the tip of the iceberg when these skaters compete. Looking forward to Katia and Harley making the Olympics—and hopefully Australia making the team event too.

How is the depth on the ladies side? Is anyone coming up after Kailani?

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
How is the depth on the ladies side? Is anyone coming up after Kailani?

Leading into 2018, our two strongest senior ladies are Kailani Craine and Brooklee Han.

Both train in the United States so that they can benefit from more ice time, which is quite limited in Australia, as many of the skaters share the schedule with hockey, short track, and public sessions.

Other skaters with solid international experience include Amelia Jackson, Katie Pasfield, and at the junior level, Holly Harris.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Leading into 2018, our two strongest senior ladies are Kailani Craine and Brooklee Han.

Both train in the United States so that they can benefit from more ice time, which is quite limited in Australia, as many of the skaters share the schedule with hockey, short track, and public sessions.

Other skaters with solid international experience include Amelia Jackson, Katie Pasfield, and at the junior level, Holly Harris.

Does anybody know how the federation is going to decide who will go to Nebelhorn? I thought Brooklee had been struggling for the last couple of seasons, but her FS at 4CC was fantastic. On the other hand, Kailani was having hard time in the second half of this season.