Small Gestures that Became Iconic | Golden Skate

Small Gestures that Became Iconic

GGFan

Record Breaker
There have been many discussions about miming and acting, sophisticated vs. pedestrian choreography. I wanted to zero in on small, simple gestures in programs that made a big impact with their subtlety or by just perfectly capturing the moment or music. I'll give two examples (I was obviously inspired by Sandra Bezic):

1) Lu Chen 1996 Worlds LP (Rachmaninoff Concerto No 2) https://youtu.be/ZCRaoNfU0r8?t=2m33s: the moment she opens up her robe and bares her soul still gives me goosebumps. I will always be a Michelle fan, but the maturity, softness, and sensuality of that moment is something that can only be achieved after living and experiencing the world for a while.

2) Kurt Browning 1994 Olympics LP (Casablanca) https://youtu.be/Y_y-FPJQjcc?t=3m11s: smoking kills and it totally did in this program. The charm that Kurt oozes just taking that drag of the cigarette simply transports you to the movie. Kurt always had great feet and charisma but by this point of his career he knew how to embody a character.

lappo

Final Flight
The opening to Yuna Kim 2009 "Danse Macabre", perfectly timed with the music. If I remember correctly, she is supposed to be awakening from death and DW said in a interview that he was inspired by the thought of gargoyles (Did he watch Disney's Notre Dame? :)): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAvsv93ZFM

qwerty

On the Ice
Davis and White 2010 Original Dance. Lots of amazing gestures throughout, and all starting with that "sideways twinkle out of the eye!"

GGFan

Record Breaker
Davis and White 2010 Original Dance. Lots of amazing gestures throughout, and all starting with that "sideways twinkle out of the eye!"

That twinkle was everything! Perfect start to that classic program.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The opening to Yuna Kim 2009 "Danse Macabre", perfectly timed with the music. If I remember correctly, she is supposed to be awakening from death and DW said in a interview that he was inspired by the thought of gargoyles (Did he watch Disney's Notre Dame? :)): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAvsv93ZFM

I'm going to go with a different program of Yuna's. It's her 2007 SP at Worlds. It was one of the first times I'd seen a skater feel the music and hit every accent. Her footwork sequence during this program was just amazing....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh-850kqJoE

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan's Chopin LP is full of amazing little moments. Examples:

- 2:15-2:20 (changes positions in the camel spin and slows it down to signify the music change)
- 2:23-2:32 (one-foot glide, stop, delicate arm gesture done twice to match the two piano notes perfectly)
- 3:25-3:30 (3Lo-turn-stop in gorgeous position)
- 3:41-3:45 (lands the 3S on a clanging chord and then puts his arms out on another clanging chord)
- 4:32-4:37 (glides to a stop and lifts his head up right on yet another clanging chord and then runs into his combination spin)

THIS is why I love Patrick's skating so much!!! :yes2: He hits so many beautiful positions and there are always so many little moments to discover when I watch any of his programs. There are no breaks in his choreography!!! :love: :bow:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
What are iconic gestures? I believe we remember many years later, many pictures, gifts, drawings depict those movements, those are in videomontages, etc.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I think of a lot of moves in Michelle Kwan’s Salome Iconic! Many I don’t even know how to drscribe but there is one move I used to love kind of like a sideways Ina Bauer but not!

The opening of her Rach program too an ending of Lyra! As well as her footwork in Aranjuez and Tosca.

Alexei Yagudins footwork in Salt Lake and when he kissed the ice!

Brian Bootano Clitxhing his fists in Calgary

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Michelle Kwan's Lyra Angelica - the start and the end are so iconic. :love:

V&M have too many memorable gestures to list, but I'll choose the end of their Mahler FD at the 2010 Olympics, starting just after the rotational lift where they lunge close to the ice (what a gorgeous image) and then skate through to the iconic ending pose.

G&G also have too many to list, but I'll choose the beginning of Vocalise (and the ending is great too).

Shen and Zhao's 2003 Worlds LP - one-foot glide holding hands, especially with the look on her face, and how they celebrated afterward. Also, the beginning of their Nutcracker LP is subtly spectacular! :luv17:

Each program I've listed is amazing as a whole and there are many moments within these programs that I didn't list. There are also many other programs by these same skaters that are also worthy of mentioning in this context, but I chose to make this post as brief as possible. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to stay here all night. ;)