Best Lutz Jumps of 2017 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Best Lutz Jumps of 2017

sarama

Medalist
For men: it's Han Yan. Just stunning. If we are talking quads, I can't really choose: Kolyada's is huge, but also Boyang's is impressive, Nathan's look so easy and Yuzuru's is a beauty as well (except when it decided to murder his ankle:sad21:)

For ladies it has to be Tuktamysheva. Tsurskaya's Lutz is more impressive, but Liza's is "purer".

P.S. I don't get the hype around Taraknova's jumps: they scare the hell out of me, with flailing limbs everywhere and zero speed on the landings.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
For men: it's Han Yan. Just stunning. If we are talking quads, I can't really choose: Kolyada's is huge, but also Boyang's is impressive, Nathan's look so easy and Yuzuru's is a beauty as well (except when it decided to murder his ankle:sad21:)

For ladies it has to be Tuktamysheva. Tsurskaya's Lutz is more impressive, but Liza's is "purer".

P.S. I don't get the hype around Taraknova's jumps: they scare the hell out of me, with flailing limbs everywhere and zero speed on the landings.

It depends on what you value most in jumps. A fair number here prefer Tsurskaya's 3Lz to Tukt's because it's higher and "more impressive" whereas others such as yourself think Tukt's was better because it has better technique. :shrug: Tarakanova's 3Lz is pretty high and springs off the ice, so maybe that's worth more to some than purity of technique.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tarakanova's 3Lz is pretty high and springs off the ice, so maybe that's worth more to some than purity of technique.

They really do spring off of the ice and on a very nice outside edge. I posted this in her fan fest but I’m gonna post it here too. Notice the distance she carries on the 3z from this Fan cam. It looks like she launches from outside of the face off circle all the way to the face off dot. It’s so boosted!

https://youtu.be/2IKNh67LJKA?t=20s

I like her flow and edgework out but she has a nice Rippon too. I’ve heard people grumble and take cheap shots at her free leg but I love the extension she does...it’s nearly a spiral and she uses her arm to create a very good line out. I think it’s her best jump which sort of makes her a bit of a rarity in ladies skating.

sarama

Medalist
I'm saying Tarakanova's Lutz (and her jumps in general) doesn't appeal to me. The lack of flow and the free leg extension on the landing to cover it up, really bother me. Anyone is entitled to think differently

gkelly

Record Breaker
That ugly position should have gotten -GOE. Somehow it becomes a feature and gains extra point. This is why the rule is messed up.

There are no such things as "features" that automatically earn extra points on jumps the same way that features for spins and step sequences earn higher levels with higher base marks.

An arm variation in a jump can be considered as one bullet point toward higher GOE. The bullet point is defined as "Varied position in the air/delay in rotation." There are a lot more significant variations of air position than one arm overhead that that bullet point can cover.

It's up to each judge to decide whether an arm overhead consists of sufficient variation to merit that bullet point.

And then, the current guidelines are that each GOE should reflect two bullet points.

So at best, any variation on its own would be worth half a GOE step. For a simple variation such as one arm overhead on one jump, I'd consider it more like a quarter of a GOE step -- it can be a tiebreaker for a jump that was otherwise borderline between 0 and +1 or +1 and +2 or +2 and +3.

A jump combination with different arm variations on each jump would impress me more. Or if the position ends up being more attractive than simple arms into chest.

Of course, the international judges may be thinking of it differently than I do. But they are definitely supposed to be thinking in terms of two bullet points GOE, not automatically bumping up the GOE for one simple variation.

We'll see what happens with whatever the guidelines will be for +5 to -5 GOEs that will supposedly come next year.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Tano done correctly is very nice. Balletic.
Tano done wrong is ugly. Somehow they don't penalize ugly tano. They need to do that. Ugly landing gets -GOE. Ugly tano should get -GOE.

:slink:
Am I really the only one that likes Maria's tano??

ask

Match Penalty
The world's ugliest dog still found someone to love him. I guess ugly tanos having fans is not that extreme.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love them too...I like seeing variety though and appreciate what she is doing out there. Her Lutz this season has been really impressive.

Helicopter / flying noodle = backlash :devil:

Masha's lutz technique per se is textbook though, and this year it shines ever more I agree but this bent in half arm detracts so much. Even one Eurosport one commentator finally said that loud expressing his discouragement.

I am afraid that this is not the variety that I am looking for.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Helicopter / flying noodle = backlash :devil:

Its been hypothesized that people are actually just misplacing anger. Her tano sort of looks like the Tetris Piece that ruins everyone’s game. It’s not her fault you don’t Tetris very well! So now I’m hoping she does a Tetris Exhibition to clear up the air. Come to think of it...if she did Theme A and Theme B as her programs next year her jumps could really boost her PCS :biggrin:

Honestly...the music is pretty good :)
https://youtu.be/uFj60cLeGJI

I am afraid that this is not the variety that I am looking for.

Im afraid your Jedi mind tricks won’t work on me:handw:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
The world's ugliest dog still found someone to love him. I guess ugly tanos having fans is not that extreme.

It's the heart that matters, not the appearance, of said dog :)
That being said, my cats are beautiful inside and out!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Its been hypothesized that people are actually just misplacing anger. Her tano sort of looks like the Tetris Piece that ruins everyone’s game. It’s not her fault you don’t Tetris very well! So now I’m hoping she does a Tetris Exhibition to clear up the air. Come to think of it...if she did Theme A and Theme B as her programs next year her jumps could really boost her PCS :biggrin:

Honestly...the music is pretty good :)
https://youtu.be/uFj60cLeGJI

Im afraid your Jedi mind tricks won’t work on me:handw:
I would like to see figure skaters trying some other arms variation - arms on the hips one. I bet it's much harder to do on jumps as it should logically slow down your rotation. I think Midori Ito was doing that, albeit I am not sure whether on triples too (but something tells me that yes, sometimes).