Art on Ice 2023 | Golden Skate

Art on Ice 2023

mtviolin24

Spectator
Hi all,
I have been following this Forum and skating forever.
As I just saw Art on Ice in Davos last sunday I wanted to share some impressions from seeing some of the most wonderful skaters live:

Jason Brown and Deniss Vasiljevs: wow! Their skating skills and presence are of another league. That was something I expected, but what blew my mind were their jumps which were crisp, effortless, with impressive height and just "out of nowhere".
Why am I pointing this out?
Ilia Malinin was there as well... Performing the same arsenal of triples (Lutz, Flip) his' looked laboured, off axis and with wonky landings.
Jason's and Deniss' we're just another league (Like +5 to -1).
Therefore I thought that Malinin's skating skills are not too bad: He has nice edges and he is quite entertaining. Just his posture looks sloppy.

Pairs:
Vanessa James and Eric Radford were incredible - pure harmony and fluidity. What a beautiful pair! You almost forgot that its two people skating.
This stood out compared to Knierim/Frazier: they looked slow in comparison, lacked "chemistry" and he looked laboured in General.

All together it was a fantastic Show! A delight to see Loena and especially Satoko Miyahara And Papadakis/Cizeron. And what an entertainer and Power house Ivan Righini is on the ice!

Big recommendation to see this Show in the future, also with great music acts!!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wondered what happened to Ivan Righini. I remember seeing him at Boston Worlds 2016. Sounds like this was a great.show.

mtviolin24

Spectator
I wondered what happened to Ivan Righini. I remember seeing him at Boston Worlds 2016. Sounds like this was a great.show.
I think Ivan is very popular as a show skater!
At Art on Ice he seems to be kind of the Leader of the "Group skaters" with some intricate Solos (Hip Hop dance, backflip, Triple toe...) He already was there in 2020 before Covid took over.

Weathergal

Medalist
I think Ivan is very popular as a show skater!
At Art on Ice he seems to be kind of the Leader of the "Group skaters" with some intricate Solos (Hip Hop dance, backflip, Triple toe...) He already was there in 2020 before Covid took over.
Thanks so much for sharing your impressions of the show. Art on Ice has always looked like a cool show, and this version sounds like it did not disappoint! I would have enjoyed seeing all the skaters you mentioned, especially Jason, Deniss, Ilia, Loena, and Gabrielle / Guillaume, but the skater I was most excited to hear about was Ivan Righini!

For some reason, I was thinking of him the other day and checked out his Instagram. I saw he was doing stuff with Art on Ice. I think he's been associated with the show for quite a few years. I always loved his performances as an amateur and really glad that he's doing so well with his show career, which is not a surprise given his showmanship. From the looks of his IG, he appears to be in a lot of shows.

I saw Davos in Jason's photos and videos, and it looks like a storybook village surrounded by breathtaking mountains - truly beautiful!

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi all,
I have been following this Forum and skating forever.
As I just saw Art on Ice in Davos last sunday I wanted to share some impressions from seeing some of the most wonderful skaters live:

Jason Brown and Deniss Vasiljevs: wow! Their skating skills and presence are of another league. That was something I expected, but what blew my mind were their jumps which were crisp, effortless, with impressive height and just "out of nowhere".
Why am I pointing this out?
Ilia Malinin was there as well... Performing the same arsenal of triples (Lutz, Flip) his' looked laboured, off axis and with wonky landings.
Jason's and Deniss' we're just another league (Like +5 to -1).
Therefore I thought that Malinin's skating skills are not too bad: He has nice edges and he is quite entertaining. Just his posture looks sloppy.

Pairs:
Vanessa James and Eric Radford were incredible - pure harmony and fluidity. What a beautiful pair! You almost forgot that its two people skating.
This stood out compared to Knierim/Frazier: they looked slow in comparison, lacked "chemistry" and he looked laboured in General.

All together it was a fantastic Show! A delight to see Loena and especially Satoko Miyahara And Papadakis/Cizeron. And what an entertainer and Power house Ivan Righini is on the ice!

Big recommendation to see this Show in the future, also with great music acts!!
Jason and Deniss give their all, whether it's a show, an exhibition or a competition. You definitely saw that there! I will never have the opportunity to go to Art on Ice unless it travels to the US, but I saw Jason last year at Stars on Ice and his energy and focus were comparable to the way he competes. It takes the same level of training and workouts to maintain that level.

It's wonderful that more audiences are getting to see the best of those two skaters! Jason's jumps have been under-rated because he doesn't do quads, but the jumps that he does are awesome and they are seamless with his choreo. That's what sets him apart from most competitive skaters out there. It's really remarkable! So very glad that you saw them and that you shared your impressions with us! Be sure to let both of them know via their Instagrams or whatever, how much you loved their skating. It will mean a lot to them.