Am I too old to start ice skating? | Golden Skate

Am I too old to start ice skating?

sickcanary

Rinkside
Hey everyone who is reading this. So since the Olympics have started a couple weeks ago I really and truly got inspired with figure skating! I really, really am just so interested! I never really liked sports that much, but this one really attracted me for some weird reason! And now I am thinking about actually joining a group near by. But my 'dream' at the moment is to actually go there/Olympics. (If of course I will still like it even after trying it out) And I have read some other posts on other websites and it said that is unrealistic. I mean I actually kind of see where it is unrealistic. I live in a town that no one even knows about and I wonder if that matters that much. And I am thirteen. I know how to roller blade and its like not I never went to figure skating to I am okayish with my balance.:scratch2: But I mean I am not fat or anything. The only problem with my body are my fat legs (which I am wondering if that is a set back for skating). And I know a lot of people will say stuff like believe in yourself and all is I is good but I mean is it that realistic enough though? Like I said previously how well could I do if I did start training now? Could I make it? I mean I now all it possible but it takes the right person to do it. But am I really the right person? And what exactly is a skaters body? Anyways I hope someone will answer quickly.
Sincerely,
SickCanary :scard7:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Hi Sickcanary (I hope you do not have a sick canary-I used to own a Goffin Cockatoo).

This post would be better off in the Lutz corner. The mods will move it.

Welcome to Golden Skate and enjoy your time here.

sickcanary

Rinkside
I am kinda new here I did not now how to direct any where. Could you help me navigate please? Thanks for telling me anyways???

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I am kinda new here I did not now how to direct any where. Could you help me navigate please? Thanks for telling me anyways???

It has been moved to the correct location. The Lutz corner people are very nice and encouraging. :clap: for Lutz posters.

The Edge is for general discussion of figure skating where people discuss, debate and talk about such things as the scoring system and the programs of various skaters. There are also competition threads where you talk about performances in specific events and there are live competition threads where you can talk to other people during a competition about what you are watching.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Which new post? If you mean this one it was made into one thread so that any answers were in place.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You are not going to the Olympics. It is too late for that. It does not matter what body type you have or where you live or if you've been roller blading. The only way you're going to the Olympics for figure skating is as a spectator.

That does not mean you cannot start skating. It does not mean you cannot compete. It means you need to be realistic.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey everyone who is reading this. So since the Olympics have started a couple weeks ago I really and truly got inspired with figure skating! I really, really am just so interested! I never really liked sports that much, but this one really attracted me for some weird reason! And now I am thinking about actually joining a group near by. But my 'dream' at the moment is to actually go there/Olympics. (If of course I will still like it even after trying it out) And I have read some other posts on other websites and it said that is unrealistic. I mean I actually kind of see where it is unrealistic. I live in a town that no one even knows about and I wonder if that matters that much. And I am thirteen. I know how to roller blade and its like not I never went to figure skating to I am okayish with my balance.:scratch2: But I mean I am not fat or anything. The only problem with my body are my fat legs (which I am wondering if that is a set back for skating). And I know a lot of people will say stuff like believe in yourself and all is I is good but I mean is it that realistic enough though? Like I said previously how well could I do if I did start training now? Could I make it? I mean I now all it possible but it takes the right person to do it. But am I really the right person? And what exactly is a skaters body? Anyways I hope someone will answer quickly.
Sincerely,
SickCanary :scard7:

I'm glad that you got inspired by our sport, but sorry to tell you that, no the Olympics are 99.99% not going to happen for you. An elite skaters body varies by their discipline (singles, dance, pairs), but is usually lean muscle and strong core and leg muscles (especially important for pairs/singles).

It doesn't matter what your current body type is and if you know how to rollerblade, figure skating is alot harder than it looks or you think it is. There are many skills and things like edge work and such that take quite some time to master.

You can still learn to skate no matter what, and eventually compete up through your adult years, but don't count on the Olympics. Sorry.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Even if you start at 5 years old and skate every day and have exactly the right body type and become an elite skater, the odds of competing at the Olympics would be extremely low, especially for a female singles skater in the US.

There are thousands of competitive skaters, dozens each year who attempt at least some triple jumps and hope to qualify for Nationals.

There are at most 3 spots available every 4 years for singles skaters. Most of the skaters who devoted their lives to the sport from an early age will never make an Olympic team. Odds are better for boys or for ice dancers or skaters who represent smaller skating countries, but there are still a lot more skaters with reasonable hopes than there Olympic opportunities available.

I think a lot of newcomers ask about the Olympics because that's all they know about competitive skating. The first thing you should be aware of is that there's a lot more to competitive skating at all levels in between.

If you really want to be a competitive skater and can afford enough time and money to train seriously (which might involve moving if there isn't a rink with lots of ice time near you), you can learn to compete and you will be able to skate programs and enter competitions at appropriate skill levels as you progress. We don't know where you'll max out. That depends on you and also on circumstances you can't control.

Dream about reaching the top if that motivates you, but focus on enjoying the process at whatever level you're at, understanding that the loftiest dreams are not going to become reality.