Disney on Ice: Headbanger Incidents | Golden Skate

Disney on Ice: Headbanger Incidents

Girlbird

On the Ice
So I came across these videos from a couple months ago last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p79QPkLliBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nav4Spqz4lI

And I find them very distressing, particularly the second video where her partner picks her up - she is unconscious and tries to drag her off the ice. This "show must go on" mentality could paralyze her or leave her with a TBI - if she doesn't already have one. As a theater performer, if I was treated like this in the case of an accident during a performance, I would be very distressed. Why wouldn't they stop the show? She should have been put on a backboard and taken away in an ambulance. And why are they continuing to putting this dangerous move in their performances if there have been multiple cases of accidents? I've even watched rehearsal videos where something goes wrong during this element. Sure, it's beautiful and cool, but it seems like to me Disney is basically treating their skaters like replaceable cogs in a machine and while this news isn't very surprising to anyone familiar with Disney's hiring practices and treatment of their performers in the parks and on cruise lines, it's really upsetting.

Girlbird

On the Ice
So disgusting... :disapp:
Considering the guy is a professional, this should be at least three months behind bars. Just to remind him the procedures and respect for human life.
I mean the performer was probably ordered to do this in case of a fall like this if she couldn’t get up and keep skating. Watch all the skaters rushing out to cover, they were prepared for something like this. It is a Disney problem, not the performer’s fault when threatened with their career.

tars

Record Breaker
I mean the performer was probably ordered to do this in case of a fall like this if she couldn’t get up and keep skating. Watch all the skaters rushing out to cover, they were prepared for something like this. It is a Disney problem, not the performer’s fault when threatened with their career.
Nonsense. If the performer were ordered to shoot another in the head in front of an audience, do you think it would not be his problem as well?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Man, I hope that wasn't the same two performers. I don't know how many times a person can survive getting their head bashed into the ice like that. Furthermore, if you're unable to execute the move, common sense would say take it out of the program. They could get lots of oohs and ahhs with a slightly less dangerous move. In the first video he drops her and she's okay enough to get up; in the second video the skater is clearly unconscious and he attempts to drag her off the ice.

My sister worked for Disney at Disney World as a character and face actor. Apparently they are very VERY big about not breaking the facade of the "magic" when you're at the park. I'm assuming the same thing applies to the shows. However, in a case where someone is clearly hurt, you'd think they'd have someone on standby to come out and help. Everyone just stood around and watched.

The show must go on of course, but you can take 30 seconds to remove someone off the ice. That's probably kinda traumatizing as a kid. "Mommy, why isn't Nala moving?"

Girlbird

On the Ice
Nonsense. If the performer were ordered to shoot another in the head in front of an audience, do you think it would not be his problem as well?

It’s still disney’s responsibility because they are the ones implementing emergency procedures or lack thereof

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It’s still disney’s responsibility because they are the ones implementing emergency procedures or lack thereof

Made a quick search and this wasn´t even reported in the news... Disney´s PR machine working hard for their money or people just didn´t care?

brightphoton

Medalist
Made a quick search and this wasn´t even reported in the news... Disney´s PR machine working hard for their money or people just didn´t care?

be quiet! do you want the Mouse mafia to come after you?!

In all seriousness, Disney lawyers have been known to be very aggressive in many cases over the decades, and the company is worth a hundred grazillion dollars. They probably used all their money and power to pay off people and shut down any sort of major press.

They also own ABC news and ESPN. They could easily stop coverage on those channels.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
The second video is so disturbing... Unfortunately, this “the show must go on” mentality is very present in the whole entertainment industry. For me, as spectator, the show ends as soon as someone gets hurt.

It is horrible and disgusting, treating a human life like a potatoes bag. Ok I will never bug my husband for attending this show.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The second video looked worse than the first one. Hopefully the skaters were okay. I'm sure Disney On Ice would attend to their skaters. Just on a side note a performer with Cirque du Soleil was killed after falling during a recent performance in Florida. Cirque du Soleil of course stopped the show and also cancelled the next two.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
The second video is terrifying, I hope they stop them from ever doing that move again

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I really hope she is OK - that second video was so frightening to watch. I am reminded of the Cirque du Soleil performer that recently died as well. There is some inherent risk in these types of performances, but at the same time, the risk has to be balanced with the safety of the performers.

I believe that the bounce spin is a prohibited move in competition - likely because it is too dangerous.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I really hope she is OK - that second video was so frightening to watch. I am reminded of the Cirque du Soleil performer that recently died as well. There is some inherent risk in these types of performances, but at the same time, the risk has to be balanced with the safety of the performers.

I believe that the bounce spin is a prohibited move in competition - likely because it is too dangerous.

I thought it was banned outright in competition. If it's not it should be.

I hate this move, always have. Some of the couples do it on Dancing on Ice and every time I have to look away. They've had their fair share of accidents too. Imagine doing that move with a partner that only learned to skate 6 months ago! :slink:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yikes. I love the headbanger (it's so spectacular) but never, ever at such a cost. I've only watched couples see it do who totally, totally trusted each other. With such a dangerous move, it's the only way. This seems rather sick.

When you allow a move called the "headbanger" you are asking for trouble right off the bat. On the other hand, life-threatenong injuries can occur on lots of elements. Lifts and even side by side spins.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I think what bothers me the most is that someone in the control booth didn't hit the lights immediately and stop the show in its tracks. I've seen scary falls/accidents during shows and immediately the house lights come on and the music stops so that the accident can be dealt with as safely as possible. Dragging the poor woman off the ice like that is dangerous (what if her neck was broken?).

BTW, I actually went to see DOI a few months ago. The ice conditions are pretty terrible - we were sitting very close to the ice in the second row and could see that it got totally chopped up and soupy about 15 minutes into the show - my skater even commented that the ice "did not look safe for skating" and we kept getting sprayed with it. I don't know if they just get used to it, but it must be hard to skate (and execute dangerous pairs lifts/spins/etc.) with such ice conditions - lends itself to tripping or catching an edge on a divot.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I think what bothers me the most is that someone in the control booth didn't hit the lights immediately and stop the show in its tracks. I've seen scary falls/accidents during shows and immediately the house lights come on and the music stops so that the accident can be dealt with as safely as possible. Dragging the poor woman off the ice like that is dangerous (what if her neck was broken?).

BTW, I actually went to see DOI a few months ago. The ice conditions are pretty terrible - we were sitting very close to the ice in the second row and could see that it got totally chopped up and soupy about 15 minutes into the show - my skater even commented that the ice "did not look safe for skating" and we kept getting sprayed with it. I don't know if they just get used to it, but it must be hard to skate (and execute dangerous pairs lifts/spins/etc.) with such ice conditions - lends itself to tripping or catching an edge on a divot.

Maybe they don´t feel safe to complain, how much job can a figure skater find?

Girlbird

On the Ice
I thought it was banned outright in competition. If it's not it should be.

I hate this move, always have. Some of the couples do it on Dancing on Ice and every time I have to look away. They've had their fair share of accidents too. Imagine doing that move with a partner that only learned to skate 6 months ago! :slink:

Yeah honestly it doesn't even look that good. I don't like seeing women being tossed around like bags of potatoes and that's what it looks like. In lifts and throws she is usually (more) in control. The headbanger looks like violence to me.