2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Umm, Med's smallish muscled flutz? I am totally against the +5 because it just is another way to pad a favorite's score.

Totally agree...I’m in favor of lowering GOE and PCS both. The judges can’t handle the responsibility that comes with it.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
YES!! I love Maya! Now we just need Dasha Usacheva and Kamila Valieva with her too

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well it appears some of the juniors will still be too young for seniors. So does anyone know how Elena R, Liza T and Anna P are doing? Are they finished? Getting better? Is Liza doing the triple toe? What about Leonova is she finally finished? Tsurkaya is she too injured. Is Evgenia healed and continuing? They have a battle now with Japan who took over their dominance. What juniors ar eligible for 2018 - 2019 or will the japanese just dominate them.

moriel

Record Breaker
Well it appears some of the juniors will still be too young for seniors. So does anyone know how Elena R, Liza T and Anna P are doing? Are they finished? Getting better? Is Liza doing the triple toe? What about Leonova is she finally finished? Tsurkaya is she too injured. Is Evgenia healed and continuing? They have a battle now with Japan who took over their dominance. What juniors ar eligible for 2018 - 2019 or will the japanese just dominate them.

Japan took nothing over really. If we look at the competitions over the season, it like 1 bad competition for russian ladies, who slayed everywhere else.
I dont think we can call that "took over dominance"

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker

Anna P - skating in shows but haven't heard anything about when she can come back competitively or if she wants to
Liza and Lena - neither have announced retirement, both are getting GP spots
Polina - not sure if she's injured but she's not too bad, I think the Final was a fluke
Evgenia - healing and then definitely continuing

Leonova - I think she's done

Scott512

Record Breaker
Anna P - skating in shows but haven't heard anything about when she can come back competitively or if she wants to
Liza and Lena - neither have announced retirement, both are getting GP spots
Polina - not sure if she's injured but she's not too bad, I think the Final was a fluke
Evgenia - healing and then definitely continuing

Leonova - I think she's done

These awesome young ladies start doing these Ice shows where they make money and have fun and don't fall they love it. even though they're still teenagers I do not expect Anna or Elena to skate competitively again other than perhaps Russian Nationals. These ladies look amazing in these Ice shows including the fifteen-year-old Anastasia V. Gubanova. Hey there making good money and there's less pressure on them than at the competition level I can't blame them for doing the shows.

alvina9894

Final Flight
I believe all Russian ladies who are able to compete internationally treasure these opportunities, as they are those who understand most how much of an honour this is. It is not easy to obtain these GP assignment with fierce domestic competition.

Elena, Liza and Anna would not retire unless they were not in shape for competing, either due to injury or due to the sport developing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I believe all Russian ladies who are able to compete internationally treasure these opportunities, as they are those who understand most how much of an honour this is. It is not easy to obtain these GP assignment with fierce domestic competition.

Elena, Liza and Anna would not retire unless they were not in shape for competing, either due to injury or due to the sport developing.

The latter is what I am worried about. But really they have the goods to compete with the current world champion. Its harder if Alina regains her form or Evgenia is back to her norm. I think the Russian juniors still are too young to copete this year if I am correct. And by the time they reach seniors their bodies make it impossible for them to do those 3A and quads. I really would like to Anna especially come back and reach her full potential.

tars

Record Breaker
Japan took nothing over really. If we look at the competitions over the season, it like 1 bad competition for russian ladies, who slayed everywhere else.
I dont think we can call that "took over dominance"
I would be more careful, watching Medvedeva hosting TV shows, Pogorilaya with broken backbone, Radionova completely out of shape jumping doubles in shows, Tuktamysheva withdrawing from free programs in local competitions, Tsurskaya in unknown state with knee disease, potential newcomers Panenkova and Gubanova battling with puberty and adjusting to new coaches, etc., while Japanese team of established, well-prepared and hungry fighters: Miyahara, Sakamoto, Higuchi, Mihara, jumping phenom Kihira and magical Honda has occupied 2/3 of Worlds' podium.
Japanese girls seem to deal pretty well with puberty, they're super talented both technically (Kihira) and artistically (Honda) and since last season they've got much tougher and used to great internal competition for only 2 spots - even more than Russian ladies, who had to seek replacement for third.

If I had to put money on overall medal number in 2018/19 ladies season, I'd certainly bet on Japanese girls. :thumbsup:
On a more positive note, 2019/20 is the season where Russian seniors will certainly catch up with potentially very strong upcoming juniors. :yes:

madison

Record Breaker
I would be more careful, watching Medvedeva hosting TV shows, Pogorilaya with broken backbone, Radionova completely out of shape jumping doubles in shows, Tuktamysheva withdrawing from free programs in local competitions, Tsurskaya in unknown state with knee disease, potential newcomers Panenkova and Gubanova battling with puberty and adjusting to new coaches, etc., while Japanese team of established, well-prepared and hungry fighters: Miyahara, Sakamoto, Higuchi, Mihara, jumping phenom Kihira and magical Honda has occupied 2/3 of Worlds' podium.
Japanese girls seem to deal pretty well with puberty, they're super talented both technically (Kihira) and artistically (Honda) and since last season they've got much tougher and used to great internal competition for only 2 spots - even more than Russian ladies, who had to seek replacement for third.

If I had to put money on overall medal number in 2018/19 ladies season, I'd certainly bet on Japanese girls. :thumbsup:
On a more positive note, 2019/20 is the season where Russian seniors will certainly catch up with potentially very strong upcoming juniors. :yes:

Evgenia will come back, I'm sure. And even if she doesn't upgrade her tech content, she is still competitive with the Japanese.
Alina is again a question mark, cause her body changes are already bigger than I would have expected and there is still the summer to pass.
I hope Radionova will find motivation to fight for a spot in the Russian team, next season.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
With Evgenia not winning OGM, and Alina having a bad worlds experience, I think both of them will have great motivation to continue. I feel they at least have one more season in them to dominate before the arrival of Kostornaya and Trusova.
Considering what happened to Yulia and Adelina after the Olympics, I do hesitate a little saying this, but Evgenia and Alina are different people and I will not count them out until I see it with my own eyes.

tars

Record Breaker
Evgenia will come back, I'm sure. And even if she doesn't upgrade her tech content, she is still competitive with the Japanese.
I'm not.

Alina is again a question mark, cause her body changes are already bigger than I would have expected and there is still the summer to pass.
Noticed that as well.

I hope Radionova will find motivation to fight for a spot in the Russian team, next season.
She is fun skater, but I doubt, she'll skate free program of 7 triples ever again. :shrug:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I would be more careful, watching Medvedeva hosting TV shows,

Zhenya can’t train until May bc of her injury, I don’t see why her hosting a show while she cannot train should be a sign that she wont be competitive anymore. She physically cant train until May 9-10

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
everyone needs to calm down...

Evgenia's determined and has plenty of time to heal. she'll be back.
Alina may be growing but even if she has to change to 3Lz-3T she'll still be competitive, especially if she can keep two lutzes and two flips. She's also determined and will grow from Worlds.
Maria may struggle but she gets the job done most of the time.
Polina is coming back but I see the potential to repeat NHK. She can do it.
Daria will probably go senior and she's a reliable skater who almost always skates clean. Her errors have been in that weird free program layout they've forced on her at senior comps
Anastasia might go senior and if she does, she'll probably do all right.
Sofia might move up, especially if Anastasia doesn't. She did manage to make the JGPF, which is a big accomplishment, and is consistent.

tars

Record Breaker
Why don't you trust Evgenia and Lena? Did they lose the motivation?
I'm not saying she won't come back or she doesn't want to, I'm just not sure.
Why? Maybe because 4 years ago on this very forum I was berating users claiming we won't see Sotnikova anymore. :rolleye:

madison

Record Breaker
I'm not saying she won't come back or she doesn't want to, I'm just not sure.
Why? Maybe because 4 years ago on this very forum I was berating users claiming we won't see Sotnikova anymore. :rolleye:

I see... both Evgenia and Alina have shows until 22-23 of April and then I suppose they'll go in holiday in May (I think this is the norm in Eteri's group). So they'll retake training in June?!! I don't know if it's late or not...I think both of them will have new programs.