I Don't Get Caroline Zhang | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I Don't Get Caroline Zhang

R.D.

Record Breaker
NY isn't the only city in the world, lol. I can't remember exactly which articles there were but there were a few out there. Not to mention the fan buzz simply getting out of control, almost to the point where people were calling her an Olympic contender.

But Yes, her problem is landing jumps. She blew it at GPF and nats last year and completely tanked in this year's GP. There's absolutely no reason for me to expect her to do well at Nats or any other competition now.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I NEVER said that there was anything wrong with other people liking her, I'm simply defending my own right NOT to like her. I don't like her and I'm sure I never will, partly because yes, her style bores me like none other, and partly because of the uber psycho fans that won't allow anyone to say that they don't like her. My biggest problem with her skating is that there is no variation at all. It all looks the same, a bunch of show-off "I'm SOOOOOOOOOO flexible" moves, and she is so slow and does far too many crossovers. With as many crossovers as she does between moves she ought to be flying across the ice, yet it looks more like she is crawling. She has a lot of work to do before she impresses me.

I think I understand your frustration because once upon a time I was in a similar situation- having a minority opinion while anyone who didn't have the "majority opinion" was either a ****-hater or a *****-fan. Let's just let "bygones be bygones" and try to get along with our differences of opinion.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Not that it is necessary, or does anyone care but...
first, if this had been titled "I don't get CZ" to start, I likely would not have posted anything on it. I do get it but don't get some of the hype or comments that people are making. I think there is a great possibility EOS - that one anyway.

As far as disagreement, I take them to much to heart but I know better - people are entitle to their opinions and a forum is the place where both sides can be presented with out being chastised for disagreeing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dancindiva - your argument mimicks mine when it comes to Michelle Kwan, or did...

then I met a few of her 'uber psycho fans' and realized it's not her fault lol...

using the fans as a reason doesn't really make a good argument, but I understand the view point of not seeing anything special with her style. I don't count it against you or anyone else (I wasn't impressed with her as a novice, thought she was just *cute*... last year I loved her programs). I do agree that some people in ANY community (real or forum) try to dictate what makes a good person/fan/whatever.. but I think if we were to all agree all the time this board would be so very boring (as cliche as it sounds it's true)

that being said I HOPE this thread and others can continue with a civil tone and that any personal issues be taken to PM or off the board entirely :) just a friendly mod reminder to ALL

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
dancindiva - your argument mimicks mine when it comes to Michelle Kwan, or did...

then I met a few of her 'uber psycho fans' and realized it's not her fault lol...

using the fans as a reason doesn't really make a good argument, but I understand the view point of not seeing anything special with her style. I don't count it against you or anyone else (I wasn't impressed with her as a novice, thought she was just *cute*... last year I loved her programs). I do agree that some people in ANY community (real or forum) try to dictate what makes a good person/fan/whatever.. but I think if we were to all agree all the time this board would be so very boring (as cliche as it sounds it's true)

that being said I HOPE this thread and others can continue with a civil tone and that any personal issues be taken to PM or off the board entirely :) just a friendly mod reminder to ALL

Her uber fans aren't the main part of my arguement, they just add to my dislike of the whole CZ thing. Even if she no one ever said a word about her, I would still find her boring as heck.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Whoo nelly, what is up with the personal diggs against posters? People should be able to post their own opinions.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Whoo nelly, what is up with the personal diggs against posters? People should be able to post their own opinions.

ditto8pi.gif

antmanb

Record Breaker
On to CZ
Besides having one of my favorite names (Caroline) and showing great promise, I have to agree with comments such as Ladskater. She lacks music and connection. I think the only reason people feel she connects with the crowd is because she is still a little girl, and it pulls on peoples heart strings to see little kids performing. Other than that, bland, self centered and blanks out the crowd to stay focused. Which worries me for when the time come that the "cute little kid" thing fades, is she going to be able to connect without loosing focus. I think the vid in question showed what happened when she started trying that.

I think its a little patronising to figure skating fans to say that Zhang's only thrawl is her age. If you take part in figure skating or take any interest in areas ourtisde of senior internationals then there are many many little girls out there skating. The reason Zhang is different for me is because i have watched skaters in their late teens who don't appear to connect with the music or understand their choreogrphy as well as Zhang. Even if, as has been written, Zhang only has one style of skating that has been very well choreographed to suit her strengths and hide her weaknesses - well that's good enough for me because i've not seen any other 13 year olds who do even one very well choreographed progarm well let alone have different styles at that age. I think for her age she is doing pretty well, for me the attempt at adult choreography puts her now at age 13 at around the place where Kwan was by 15. That's where i think the comparisons to Kwan come, that and the fact at the moment she's skating to lyrical music and doing a good job

She has no connection via her own actions, only her age. As a matter of fact, I find her expression to be much like a "I am better than you" type of girl. All I see is her going through the motions - very well but - And getting a big chip on her shoulder from all this premature "complements" she is getting. At this point she is in her own little world and could likely be comparative to a beauty pageant kid. IMO

Well she is out there on the ice, and even under the instruction of a careful choreographer it is still Zhang who hits the positions (regardless of how much direction it took), the reason she stands out? No other 13 year old at this time is diong this as well, like i said she does better that many of th girls competing in some countries senior ladies nationals. Also, while i appreciate you're only passing an opinion on what her facial expressions get across to you, i'm not sure i see how you get that she has a "i'm better than you" attitude and i'm not sure where the rest of the psycho-analysis came from without knowing her.

I see no resemblance to Kwan (YET) as far as audience connection and think her skating skills SEEM TO ME as any other promising 13 yearold skater. I think it is desperation to be thinking so much of someone who has so many things to learn and grow. 2 to 3 years and I think there will be a good amount of "proving" to happen. Then I think the time to "count chickens" will be viable. As for now, she needs to grow and we'll see. Shows great promise, but I have heard so many of those storys here before.

Don't get me wrong, I see mucho possibilities! But I think the presumptuous attitude is not necessary or truly valid at this point in her career. Just wishful thinking at the moment, That MAY OR MAY NOT obtain fruition. I hope so, but to much "dreaming" going on that I think people are putting more on her than she really is. JMO

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is the potential this girl has. Her basic skating is fantastic - she understands the basic skating side very well and so far is getting the jumps (bar the flutz) pretty good and pretty consistent. Like i've said elsewhere, for me, even if the jumps don't survive puberty, i'm loving how she skates now and those kind of basic will not be lost with puberty. Jumps or no jumps to me she will be a lovely skater to watch for the next few years.

Ant

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I agree that Caroline is fun to watch right now. She is young, tiny and very flexible. She shows great strength while at competition and fortitude in getting the job done.
Does she still carry her backpack full of candy? It used to make me laugh! But then I saw her running and screaming in an awful pitch around the arena and I thought, well she is young.
Somehow I think she will survive and make a big splash in the skating world. I hope she can survive puberty, media scrutiny, and inevitable injuries. Skating needs some fresh faces. I think Caroline may be ONE of them, but there are a few others out there that will give her a run for her money.

antmanb

Record Breaker
JMO, geesh. :cool: And did you read the second post of mine?

Yes i did! I wasn't having a go i just thought that saying that only reason (and underlining it!) peoplelike Zhang is because of her age was puttig words in people's mouths. that isn't why i like and isn't why other people like her its because of her skills. I wanted to elaborate on what my thoughts were that's all. Your second post seemed to make the same point as the first but more succinct so i didn't reply to that one. We seem to agree on her potential and that she shouln't be hyped to gills.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As a matter of fact, I find her expression to be much like a "I am better than you" type of girl. All I see is her going through the motions - very well but - And getting a big chip on her shoulder from all this premature "complements" she is getting. At this point she is in her own little world and could likely be comparative to a beauty pageant kid. IMO

just to give the girl props, when I met her last year she was nothing but nice and your typical bubbly preteen... there was nothing snobbish or divaish or whatever about her :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yes i did! I wasn't having a go i just thought that saying that only reason (and underlining it!) peoplelike Zhang is because of her age was puttig words in people's mouths.

I think the only reason people feel she connects with the crowd is because she is still a little girl, and it pulls on peoples heart strings to see little kids performing.
Me thinking, is not saying just voicing my opinion.

just to give the girl props, when I met her last year she was nothing but nice and your typical bubbly preteen... there was nothing snobbish or divaish or whatever about her :)

Not that it is necessary, or does anyone care but...
first, if this had been titled "I don't get CZ" to start, I likely would not have posted anything on it. I do get it but don't get some of the hype or comments that people are making. I think there is a great possibility EOS - that one anyway.
Pops given from what I saw, and isn't obvious that I haven't seen that much or met her to know. Everything I said was based on what I saw. I figured that much was obvious. And It might have been that first fall that gave her a focus that I interpreted as being that way. I can only base my opinion on what I see, not speculation that everyone else is correct. So it differed from the majority, big whoop IMO
As far as disagreement, I take them to much to heart but I know better - people are entitle to their opinions and a forum is the place where both sides can be presented without being chastised for disagreeing.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, I do get Zhang and liked her exhibition performance very much. To me she looks like a mix of Kwan and Cohen. Kwan´s elegant look on the ice combined with Cohen´s flexibility and fire.

Dear Caroline :love:

Congratulations on making the big time!

I hope you are reading this thread. You haven't really made your mark on the sport until you get your very own "I don't get..." thread on the Internet. Most skaters don't make it until they are at least 14 or 15. Rock on! :rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sean my post was not directed at you, just wanting to give a shout out to a talented young lady who, even with hype, still has that little girl inside of her... I merely mentioned it before someone else used it to call her character into question...

EVERYONE needs to take a step back and BREATHE... this thread has more than served its purpose.