2018 Internationaux de France: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is this me, Mrs. P? I think I should change my username to this, Une chat de luxe est magnifique :biggrin: I have no idea what I've said about Alexander Samarin though.

LOL I spelled your username wrong AND you weren't even the one I was supposed to be quoting. :palmf: (It was a completely different person. LOL)

I think I just appreciated your sweet post in here and that was my weird way of showing it.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The men were a mixed bag but most of the SPs were quite enjoyable. Of course I was upset about Dima's mistakes, but he never fails to mesmerize me with his performance. I'll take flawed Dima over a perfect Samarin or Chen any day. Deniss and Jason were the highlights...and I'm not a Jason fan, but his SP is just perfect for him. I want to see Deniss pulling down scores like that (of course, I'd like a stable quad even more, but baby steps...). The FS wasn't quite as good, except for Dima coming closer to showing his potential. He really deserved higher PCS...or others deserve lower. Take your pick.

Haven't watched everything else, but when I finally watched Evgenia, I thought - this is what people are losing their minds over? Come on, it wasn't good, but so many great skaters have survived so much worse. A bit of perspective would be nice. I really do like Rika, but she isn't infallible either. Nobody is.

melgirl25

Medalist
Last time Rika skated, she showed her massive scoring potential and ability to fight for top spots/scores. This time, she showed that she is a fighter by saving that 3A and quick thinker by opting for a 2A combo and adding her second combo onto the lutz as she didn't repeat the 3A. And whatever she and her team are doing to up her mental game, it's working very well as many of us remember Rika imploding at the first sign of struggle in juniors. She's come a long way in many regards and I'm excited for what's next.

Marin giving a pikachu to Raf was endearing.

Mai and Evgenia were heartbreaking :(. I didn't know it was possible to be so affected by skaters who aren't anywhere close to my favourites. They both are under a lot of pressure given the depth of their respective federations, but I hope (and believe) they'll come out stronger.

I was wondering about that. I thought she had two 3A planned. That was smart. Although it would have been awesome to do it but I think for this competition it worked out fine.

icybear

Medalist
P/C moonlight sonata was leagues better than their new fs program but I guess the judges will just keep dishing out records for this program. It's just meh when compared to moonlight sonata which was magical.

evasorange

Final Flight
Haven't watched everything else, but when I finally watched Evgenia, I thought - this is what people are losing their minds over? Come on, it wasn't good, but so many great skaters have survived so much worse. A bit of perspective would be nice.

I really couldn’t agree more. It was a messy program that every skater on earth has from time to time. I really wonder about her coping skills/competitive mindset tbh. No one in any sport can win all of the time. This cannot be such a hard concept to accept? She was stone faced the entire program(as well as the sp) but still received pretty generous pcs, she knew she made mistakes but seemed surprised at her score ....I’m not saying in the past she didn’t work hard but compared to many skaters she had a pretty easy ride...mistakes overlooked, pcs rising and rising even tho there was no discernible difference in the skating being shown,basically the same programs for two years, positive goes for mistakes. Now with that cushion apparently being gone we get to see what she’s really made of.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think I'll have more to share once I watch more of hte competition, but I have one thought for now and I want to answer Specs' question. :)

First of all, I only really watched the men's event. I had to work and do other things this weekend and the men's event was scheduled early enough so I could watch it in its entirety. I did watch the free dance entirely (and seeing Beatrice, aka NoNameFace, give Piper that beautiful bouquet and card was definitely a highlight knowing how much work and thought she put into the gift) and the pair's free skate just now.

But my sole thought for now: Jason Brown put the men's skating world on notice with that short program. Honestly, we've seen him score well with quadless programs, but this short program truly melded together the best of what he had prior to coming to TCC (Rohene's choreography, his flexibility, great spins and his connection with the audience) and what he has gained over the last few months (a mature look and feel in his overall packaging, new jump technique and newly developed skating skills from Mama Tracy). I think we're used to seeing Jason as this sunshine and happy-go-lucky guy and here, he was confident and ready to attack. It's honestly the best I've seen him skate ever.

A lot of folks speculated that Jason would benefit from the new +5/-5 GOE and the reduced base values on quads. But he also benefits from what has been a clear shift in the technical calling for steps and spins. Getting a level 4 is much harder and judges expect much more to get the +GOE. He skated clean and there you go, a 96.41. Only three skaters have beat that score. I think it was hard to deny that quality skating should matter more (not just hitting the HARDEST jumps or base value) after seeing a program like that.

The free skate isn't there yet with melding what Jason already has and what he's gained in his new coaching environment and in a new skater/choreographer relationship. But I found it encouraging that David Wilson and the rest of the TCC gang were open to making changes that made Jason connect it more. The new choreographic sequence is a nice mesh of old -- the beautiful Kerrigan spiral -- and new -- the Ina Bauer and the leaps throughout. The judges thought so too, giving it a whopping +2.31 GOE (compared to 1.50 GOE at Skate Canada). There were a bunch of silly mistakes, which seem to be a bit of a lapse in competition -- but his emotional connection to that program is leaps and bounds from when he first performed it at Autumn Classic International two months ago.

The quad of course is still a big work in progress, but Jason clearly knows that, but he turned in one out-of-this-world performance and one solid, if not amazing one. I think a lot more people took note of Jason's silver because it was honestly so unexpected after so-so performances in his two former competitions. Anyway, I'm proud of him. He gave a lot for his fans, including me, to be excited about.

For me what makes Samarin so endearing is that he loves what he's doing. He shows great investment in his programs, even if the execution isn't quite there, and I can't help but appreciate that.

I think Sasha looks better in person, IMO, then on television. He has massive jumps, but like many others, he has a hard time controlling them. I think he has fairly good speed and he does have some power to him. From an overall skating/performance/choreography standpoint, I prefer Dmitri Aliev, but I think Sasha's good qualities deserved to be highlighted.

I do agree with DSQ's post from earlier and I hope he's keeping track of skaters like Jason and how important it is to maintain overall quality not just getting the big money jumps.

Everything you said about Jason is spot on. There's a new maturity there and what seems to me to be a new focus. And Brian looked like he finally saw why Tracy Wilson was so adamant about Jason joining their group.

About Samarin, the real problem to me is that his programs are so dreadful. The FS in particular is a mess, with two halves that have nothing to do with each other thematically. What he has is power; he's a "big" skater. But there's no nuance there. And he has a tendency to showboat. He has NO idea what to do with his arms and hands, so he continually flings them about. Someone should tell him that less can be so very much more. More nuance and control, more listening to what he is skating to and, most important of all, programs that play to his strengths would really lift him to the next level. He has the potential.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My single favourite part was Gabby P. repeating her wonderfully dorky lifting of the plastic award over her head from last year and wondering what use Nathan Chen will find for his large blue stop sign in his dorm room: My suggestion- veggie serving platter or place for keeping your keys.

The other part was watching for Tabsy and Beatrice and seeing Piper get Beatrice's flowers and card. :love: What a charming moment.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Everything you said about Jason is spot on. There's a new maturity there and what seems to me to be a new focus. And Brian looked like he finally saw why Tracy Wilson was so adamant about Jason joining their group.

About Samarin, the real problem to me is that his programs are so dreadful. The FS in particular is a mess, with two halves that have nothing to do with each other thematically. What he has is power; he's a "big" skater. But there's no nuance there. And he has a tendency to showboat. He has NO idea what to do with his arms and hands, so he continually flings them about. Someone should tell him that less can be so very much more. More nuance and control, more listening to what he is skating to and, most important of all, programs that play to his strengths would really lift him to the next level. He has the potential.

I actually feel very sorry for Samarin. He seems very committed and interested in being a good performer and yet the programs don't really work. At SC Tracy said she thought the audience did not enjoy his SP music. I wonder if he needs a few weeks with Plushenko to learn how to bring that ability to reach the crowds into his skating.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Check out our videos, photos and more from Grenoble!

What are your thoughts on the competition? Reviews? Ponderings?

Feel free to share word, a sentence, a paragraph. If your feeling wordy, give us an entire review for a chance to win a season pass!
View attachment 236

If the GP of France sees this typewriter they might think these will make good gifts for next year: Imagine a skater juggling a large plastic star or baseball base, a GPS watch and a typewriter on the victory stand whilst staring lovingly at the pixalited version of their flag.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually loved this event, (of course) but....

Be a member of Caroline Zhang and Grant Hochstein’s wedding party (Jason Brown best man, Danny O’Shea usher)

Win silver at IdF:clap:

Coincidence? :biggrin:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
My feelings for Piper and Paul overshadow everything else, but congratulations to the medalists and those who qualified for GPF.

Thank goodness for NoNameFace (aka Beatrice) and tabsy. Spotting them enthusiastically cheering on every performance with their multiple country flags, and the touching handoff of NNF’s amazing sunflowers/card to Piper (which made me tear up), brought a beautiful spirit and joy to this competition — bravo :clap:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I forgot to say in my original post; for all the criticism of IdF (the “medals”, the flags, that Seiko advert falling off the boards - come on guys!) the camera work was awesome. The guy in charge of following the skaters feet was on the money and I almost feel like it was higher quality than the other GP, resolution wise I mean.

Also coach cam (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqh0zvjBI44/), coach cam can stay. Those split screens were intense.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I actually feel very sorry for Samarin. He seems very committed and interested in being a good performer and yet the programs don't really work. At SC Tracy said she thought the audience did not enjoy his SP music. I wonder if he needs a few weeks with Plushenko to learn how to bring that ability to reach the crowds into his skating.

I don't think you can teach someone to have charisma. You either have it or you don't. However, his choreography (or lack thereof) really does him no favors, it's true. It's all so one-note. We get it, he likes rock. He's not musical and he's never going to be an artist. I will say that he does seem like a nice guy who works hard, but that's not enough for me.

That reminds me how much I love Daniel and I forgot to mention him. Ok, usually I try to forget - we know Daniel is a hot mess 95% of the time. But he is sooo passionate about his performance no matter what, even when everything is going wrong. And talk about power! Daniel and Sasha are both very "masculine" kinds of skaters, but Daniel knows how to skate to music and entertain an audience. All of these guys are still young, of course. I hope in time they'll all become better versions of themselves.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
My feelings for Piper and Paul outshadow everything else, but congratulations to the medalists and those who qualified for GPF.

Thank goodness for NoNameFace (aka Beatrice) and Tabsy. Spotting them enthusiastically cheering on every performance with their multiple country flags, and the touching handoff of NNF’s amazing sunflowers/card to Piper (which made me tear up), brought a beautiful spirit and joy to this competition — bravo :clap:

:ghug:

Thanks for this. What I leaned this year, going on 3 competitions for the first time, is that the most healthy and beneficiary way of experiencing figure skating live is to cheer on everybody and wish for a great competition all around. I am no saint, I have faves and skaters I relate closer to than others, but when I see it all live I bring all my flags and all my enthusiasm to back up every skater.

I came to Grenoble last minute, but with strong purpose - to show physically my support and admiration over what Piper and Paul represent as artists, creators, seeing and appreciating a bigger perspective than just competing for scores, getting levels and qualifying further somewhere. I was there to appreciate the craft and all the unique value of their programs that for me is pretty much unjudgeable or cannot be thoughtfully put into numbers, because it is counted in emotional package that is brought by them and that lingers for a long time, challenging to see layers of it and to understand them, scoring the levels or not. I developed, maybe even against common sense, a deep relations and bond with their FD in particular this season as an act of creation the picture of an artist being often misunderstood and excluded, adding an emotional layer to it with their own stories to tell, achieving originality, innovative look onto choreography and their own signature quirk setting them apart from others. Like Van Gogh himself and his art, they have their highs and lows and are often put into this interesting-but-not-competitive box - I won't fight these opinions, but just take pride personally in supporting something true to myself and relatable on a deeper perspective. I hope that the gift, all heart, thought and effort I put into it showed my support and that the message in the card will help them to constantly make Programs for the People.

pesto

On the Ice
The one thing I really enjoy about Samarin is his very smiley coach in the K&C.

But then, I don't enjoy splats either, and there is something to be said for a skater who can skate two cleanish programmes with multiple quads, and lay the gauntlet down to the more popular skaters to pass him if they can. I'm just glad that there are other styles of skater to root for.

:ghug:

Thanks for this. What I leaned this year, going on 3 competitions for the first time, is that the most healthy and beneficiary way of experiencing figure skating live is to cheer on everybody and wish for a great competition all around. I am no saint, I have faves and skaters I relate closer to than others, but when I see it all live I bring all my flags and all my enthusiasm to back up every skater.

I came to Grenoble last minute, but with strong purpose - to show physically my support and admiration over what Piper and Paul represent as artists, creators, seeing and appreciating a bigger perspective than just competing for scores, getting levels and qualifying further somewhere. I was there to appreciate the craft and all the unique value of their programs that for me is pretty much unjudgeable or cannot be thoughtfully put into numbers, because it is counted in emotional package that is brought by them and that lingers for a long time, challenging to see layers of it and to understand them, scoring the levels or not. I developed, maybe even against common sense, a deep relations and bond with their FD in particular this season as an act of creation the picture of an artist being often misunderstood and excluded, adding an emotional layer to it with their own stories to tell, achieving originality, innovative look onto choreography and their own signature quirk setting them apart from others. Like Van Gogh himself and his art, they have their highs and lows and are often put into this interesting-but-not-competitive box - I won't fight these opinions, but just take pride personally in supporting something true to myself and relatable on a deeper perspective. I hope that the gift, all heart, thought and effort I put into it showed my support and that the message in the card will help them to constantly make Programs for the People.

A kazillion :thumbsup: !!

I will wish that you have the opportunity to see many more live events. We are kindred spirits with respect to Piper and Paul, but I most appreciate your enthusiasm as a fan of such a diverse scope of skating talent and thoughtful analyses. Thanks to you and tabsy sharing your Grenoble experiences! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kelly

On the Ice
Marin Honda skated a very beautiful FS. Hope Rafael can help her have consistent jumps in the near future.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
To think just 2 or 3 seasons ago Piper and Paul were everyone's "not my cup of tea" or "too quirky, i don't get it" and now look at the emotional reaction they get from all the fans. It shows the tremendous work they have put in their skating and most importantly the way they put together and perform their programs all these years.

LaArdilla

Medalist
I had one weird thought, just after Gabriella raised the throphy: when upside down, it remains Polish coffin portraits by shape. So sorry for this connotation...

OMG, you're so right! :laugh:

France may not be the greatest host, but French skaters had a great outing, along with two gold medals.

The ladies event left me a nervous wreck. A good skate here or there but otherwise, even the medallists (is that even a good term here, lol?) were a bit underwhelming.

Jason sneaking in and grabbing that silver was quite a moment definitely. What a wonderful short that was. Nathan's free program is my favourite among men this season, and he did what he had to to win. French guys were awesome - Romain is hot as hell in his hand-me-down costumes and had a great short, Raf was so happy! Not a fan of his Carmen program - sorry, Guillaume! You better focus on your Tango Romantica for now! Kevin Aymoz is extremely captivating.

When it comes to pairs, ugh - side by side jumps were not to happen there, apparently. I fell in love with Boikova nad Kozlovski - they are adorable and have awesome programs. I was so sorry for the Koreans! They had a real shot at the medal. Vanessa and James gave me a fright after the short, but were glorious in the free, despite some mistakes.

The dance event was a bit underwhelming as well, hardly anybody got their SB, apart from P/C and S/K, of course. I kept thinking, how high is Grenoble? Does it affect anybody? The first showing of P/C's programs was definitely THE moment, the tango will be glorious once the first pattern is under control. I may not be the biggest fan of the music choice of the FD, but despite lack of mileage every element just screams of quality. That curve lift (that was probably the cause of Guillaume's earlier injury) was just mind-blowing. Heartbroken for Piper and Paul, though!

But my moment of the event was definitely NoNameFace giving her beautiful gift to G/P and then seeing Piper holding those flowers in K&C! She and tabsy were absolutely adorable and such darlings to share all the insider info with us! The camera loved you and it was great to see you chearing the skaters after each performance. Thank you!!!