Mikhail Kolyada | Page 151 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

rachno2

Record Breaker
Sephane describes someone who needs total control and then tells them to just let go. Does he have a brain formatting tool to come with that advice by any chance?

:rofl:

Misha ig stories show him, in california maybe he getting some jumping training before russian national

That was a picture from this summer :) But I’m taking these positive social media publications as a sign that he’s training well and feeling good about the upcoming comps :pray:

rachno2

Record Breaker
I hope we can see it performed clean soon so all of these character traits and nuances Stephane is talking about will shine through. Right now the only thing I associate with the short program is crippling fear (Misha’s and my own), not a rebellious spirit :laugh: Also, it looks like Stephane will be in Vancouver for JGPF with Koshiro, so no conversation with Misha in Zagreb.

Some excerpts from Misha’s LP practice. It appears he changed the layout again.... https://vk.com/mikhail_kolyada?w=wall-24618099_39039

Tutto

Record Breaker
I hope we can see it performed clean soon so all of these character traits and nuances Stephane is talking about will shine through. Right now the only thing I associate with the short program is crippling fear (Misha’s and my own), not a rebellious spirit :laugh: Also, it looks like Stephane will be in Vancouver for JGPF with Koshiro, so no conversation with Misha in Zagreb.

Some excerpts from Misha’s LP practice. It appears he changed the layout again.... https://m.vk.com/wall-24618099_39039

Crippling fear is the word God save us tomorrow!

Right, Mika seems to listen to all our advice (re layout) and do exact opposite! I would not jump to conclusion yet from that video though.
Still blowing his nose I see :unsure::(

BTW I've just come across this interview with Mishin:

https://www.fontanka.ru/2018/11/29/100/
There are a couple of questions about Mika which Mishin did his best to avoid giving any straight answer to, however if to ignore his sarcastic tone even Mishin admits 'high level of skill/talent'

rachno2

Record Breaker
https://www.fontanka.ru/2018/11/29/100/
There are a couple of questions about Mika which Mishin did his best to avoid giving any straight answer to, however if to ignore his sarcastic tone even Mishin admits 'high level of skill/talent'

I don't know how Valentina endures all of these thinly veiled jabs from seemingly every coach in Russia (and now abroad from Raf). It makes me admire her silence all the more (though I do selfishly wish she would enlighten us a little bit more on Misha's training and health).

Tutto

Record Breaker
I don't know how Valentina endures all of these thinly veiled jabs from seemingly every coach in Russia (and now abroad from Raf). It makes me admire her silence all the more (though I do selfishly wish she would enlighten us a little bit more on Misha's training and health).

To ignore the critics is probably the only sane thing to do in this situation - the dogs bark but the caravan goes on...

Do you think he dropped 3A for second 4T?

rachno2

Record Breaker
Do you think he dropped 3A for second 4T?

That’s what it looks like....somebody in the VK group suggested 4S, 4T3T, 4T, 3A, 3Lo, 3Lz-Eu-2S(3S), 3Lz2T(3T) (side note: why can Misha land quad-triples but is seemingly incapable of landing triple-triples? :laugh: Fatigue, probably.) If this is the case, I wonder if dropping the second 3A is what he meant when he told Tatjana Flade he knew what he had to do. It seems to be a major psychological barrier.

Also, not sure if I can post here, but there is a livestream of the competition. Decent video quality, too!

Tutto

Record Breaker
That’s what it looks like....somebody in the VK group suggested 4S, 4T3T, 4T, 3A, 3Lo, 3Lz-Eu-2S(3S), 3Lz2T(3T) (side note: why can Misha land quad-triples but is seemingly incapable of landing triple-triples? :laugh: Fatigue, probably.) If this is the case, I wonder if dropping the second 3A is what he meant when he told Tatjana Flade he knew what he had to do. It seems to be a major psychological barrier.

Also, not sure if I can post here, but there is a livestream of the competition. Decent video quality, too!

Thanks for the link! I am not going to watch live tomorrow though - I think I jinx him when I do.

I not too optimistic about the changes, his 3A is excellent, to take it out is like trying to treat a symptom and not the cause.
I was going to say the usual: 'but they know best' but realised that I have no confidence in this particular mantra anymore :(

After some thought, I think a 3 quad LP is probably aimed at RusNats. They've tried an easier layout it didnt work and BV is too low to absorb a few mistakes. In a way it might take his mind off the idea of skating a clean program and focus on tech instead?

rachno2

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link! I am not going to watch live tomorrow though - I think I jinx him when I do.

I not too optimistic about the changes, his 3A is excellent, to take it out is like trying to treat a symptom and not the cause.
I was going to say the usual: 'but they know best' but realised that I have no confidence in this particular mantra anymore :(

Same, I would rather wash my face with hot sauce than have to witness another short program of his in real time :laugh: The facial expressions are too much....

Again, if this (and Nationals) goes badly, then it just means that this isn’t his season and he needs time off to treat those underlying causes. It’s like what he said after Helsinki—“a bad result is still a result.” That’s what I’m going to keep telling myself if things don’t go our way. :ghug:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Same, I would rather wash my face with hot sauce than have to witness another short program of his in real time :laugh: The facial expressions are too much....

Again, if this (and Nationals) goes badly, then it just means that this isn’t his season and he needs time off to reassess everything and treat those underlying causes. It’s like what he said after Helsinki—“a bad result is still a result.” That’s what I’m going to keep telling myself if things don’t go our way. :ghug:

We actually spoiled by him doing full seasons for 3 years in a row and expect it to continue like forever? Looking back I feel like he overdid things last season - was it really necessary to finish his studies in the Oly year, he could have taken a year off surely, maybe that was just that straw than broke the camel's back.
It is best not to expect miracles tomorrow but oh :pray: anyway

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Maybe Misha is just more confident in himself than we are, tbh. He's already exchanged axels for toes this season, and perhaps he wants to see what's going to happen with a different layout - but if the music behind the jumps is anything to go by, that layout mentioned above is not happening, my feeling is that he's going much more bananas with it:

4S, 4T-3T, 3A, 3Z-E-3S, 4T*, 3A-2T(single toe in this video)*, 3L*

And that's pretty crazy in my book, though I don't think moving the combo to the first half is crazy in itself. Landing quads and axels in the second half, that's what I want to see. Also, this layout works with the video because Misha has a first spin after the third jumping pass, and piling up four jumping passes before the first spin would move his entire layout around.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I don’t think he has the stamina to land quads and 3As in the second half....I know he’s done it in previous seasons, but now with the time change?

Tutto

Record Breaker
Maybe Misha is just more confident in himself than we are, tbh. He's already exchanged axels for toes this season, and perhaps he wants to see what's going to happen with a different layout - but if the music behind the jumps is anything to go by, that layout mentioned above is not happening, my feeling is that he's going much more bananas with it:

4S, 4T-3T, 3A, 3Z-E-3S, 4T*, 3A-2T(single toe in this video)*, 3L*

And that's pretty crazy in my book, though I don't think moving the combo to the first half is crazy in itself. Landing quads and axels in the second half, that's what I want to see. Also, this layout works with the video because Misha has a first spin after the third jumping pass, and piling up four jumping passes before the first spin would move his entire layout around.

I guess we just have to wait and see on Friday, after re-watching it seems he has a problem lately with 3A combos - maybe there is something going on (technically)

rachno2

Record Breaker
After some thought, I think a 3 quad LP is probably aimed at RusNats. They've tried an easier layout it didnt work and BV is too low to absorb a few mistakes. In a way it might take his mind off the idea of skating a clean program and focus on tech instead?

I really thought he was going to be pressured into adding 4Lz for nationals, and he would test it out here. It must not be stable in practices at all. :( Adding another 4T is a good compromise, I guess, to show the Fed his tech is still competitive. But three quads still feels like a lot for his stamina, and I am worried about URs and downgrades (last season he would at least rotate completely before he fell :bang:)

Good(ish) news: he’s in the second group tomorrow, skating 9th overall. Less time for those mind games to do their damage, hopefully. (I know he went 9th at CoR, but it’s the principle of not skating in the last group ;))

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I really thought he was going to be pressured into adding 4Lz for nationals, and he would test it out here. It must not be stable in practices at all. :( Adding another 4T is a good compromise, I guess. But three quads still feels like a lot....

I'd say 3 quads and 2 3As is as good compromise as any--if he's indeed jumping that layout. But maybe he'd rather go down fighting, because what good will do him two quads if he isn't going clean with that layout. The chances of crashing and burning are higher anyway, haha. We should wait, and we'll never know what's going to happen until he skates. For all we know he can win again and then crash and burn later on. Shrodinger's Misha.

rachno2

Record Breaker
But maybe he'd rather go down fighting, because what good will do him two quads if he isn't going clean with that layout.

He has seriously fought so hard this season. By the end of the month he will have done six competitions with possibly a different layout in each one, all while battling illness and the usual overwhelming pressure (even more pressure now that he’s a world medalist). A lot of things bother me when it comes to the way the media treats Misha, but nothing more so than this narrative that he is complacent and doesn’t work or fight hard enough. But I’m preaching to the choir, of course

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
He has seriously fought so hard this season. By the end of the month he will have done six competitions with possibly a different layout in each one, all while battling illness and the usual overwhelming pressure (even more pressure now that he’s a world medalist). A lot of things bother me when it comes to the way the media treats Misha, but nothing more so than this narrative that he is complacent and doesn’t work or fight hard enough. But I’m preaching to the choir, of course

I don't like to talk about other skaters here, much less for certain reasons, but it seems like Misha is always criticized whatever he does--if he stumbles, if he falls, if he jumps fewer quads than the rest, if he talks, if he doesn't talk--yet some other skaters have said things that would have been scrutinized to hell and back if it were Misha, but it seems like they just don't attract the same kind of attention. Which is good for them, they can surely rise to the challenge under the radar--and a lot of people are always betting on that. Wonder if this time things will turn out different this time.

I said before, Misha is giving all the chances to the other guys, they just don't grab these opportunities.

Alas, hoping for a good skate tomorrow so we can all ease some of our worries--OUR WORRIES, we are selfish like that, :laugh2:

rachno2

Record Breaker
I kept my promise to myself and didn’t watch live (though tbh it didn’t make me any less anxious):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfXmaUr53Q

Yet again I jinxed him by saying he can do 4-3 but not 3-3, so naturally he does 4-2 :laugh: This was far from perfect (he is still so tentative going into that combo! Misha, why??), but I think we can definitely consider today a win. :) He stayed and thought on his feet (great save with the spread eagle!), and his steps and spins were as gorgeous as ever. Most importantly, he didn’t look defeated afterward. :agree: I was especially happy to see him and Valentina interacting in the KnC.

I’m still sensing a bit of a SP phobia, as well as exhaustion, but I hope this is a step in the right direction both technically and psychologically. And the score isn’t half-bad, either. ;)