Mikhail Kolyada | Page 153 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Well, at least he got the SP right. And 253 is not bad comparatively speaking. Only Voronov has an SB higher than that.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I’m just so sad about the popping, especially the 2S. And the axel feels like an insurmountable psychological barrier at this point.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, I don't know what you guys expected. He went for the 3 quads, 2 3A layout like I said. It wasn't succesful, but it's probably what he's going to do at Nats. And he's back over 250+, which is a decent score in my book. I'd have wanted him to rotate the jumps and fall rather than pop quads into doubles, but what can we do.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I expected it (you always kind of have to), but it’s still depressing.

And he didn’t get the SP right. It was on the verge of disaster with every jump (except for the lutz), but luckily he fought through it

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I expected it (you always kind of have to), but it’s still depressing.

And he didn’t get the SP right. It was on the verge of disaster with every jump (except for the lutz), but luckily he fought through it
I mean comparatively speaking.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I haven't watched his programs, but the UR calls on this jump and that one 4S he fell on in Helsinki seem odd. Not exactly a problem with rotations for him with the size he gets.
His 3Lo has never been a big jump, it's way down the list. He usually doubles it rather than UR and falls though.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Well, I don't know what you guys expected. He went for the 3 quads, 2 3A layout like I said. It wasn't succesful, but it's probably what he's going to do at Nats. And he's back over 250+, which is a decent score in my book. I'd have wanted him to rotate the jumps and fall rather than pop quads into doubles, but what can we do.
I am not seeing three Russian guys who are better at this point, which is what matters for Nationals.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I haven't watched his programs, but the UR calls on this jump and that one 4S he fell on in Helsinki seem odd. Not exactly a problem with rotations for him with the size he gets.

The 2S looked intentional cos he was setting up, going, going round..... till he made a half moon circle he still havent jumped. - jump, not jump, jump, not jump,the hesitation. Then, oh drats..go.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I am not seeing three Russian guys who are better at this point, which is what matters for Nationals.

Exactly my thoughts. If the guys show up and Misha don't, I can see him off the podium no problem, but if things go the way they are right now I don't see much of a change.

rachno2

Record Breaker
The 2S looked intentional cos he was setting up, going, going round..... till he made a half moon circle he still havent jumped. - jump, not jump, jump, not jump,the hesitation. Then, oh drats..go.
I wish he would stop doing that this season! I was amazed when he landed it at CoR after that long set-up. He seems to stalk it in practices as well.

Exactly my thoughts. If the guys show up and Misha don't, I can see him off the podium no problem, but if things go the way they are right now I don't see much of a change.

Scoring-wise, yes, he should still be considered #1 in Russia. It isn’t Nationals that worries me so much as this continuous cycle of underperformance and disappointment. How much can a person take? Especially somebody like Misha who seems to internalize everything so deeply

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I wish he would stop doing that this season!

It isn’t Nationals that worries me so much as this continuous cycle of underperformance and disappointment. How much can a person take? Especially somebody like Misha who seems to internalize everything so deeply

If its any consolation to you, his team mate Alexander Samarin was equally disappointed with himself - having a fall on 4 Lutz & 1 pop.

The Russian men looked the most stressed among the last 2 groups

vorravorra

Record Breaker
What I don't like is that he has no energy for jumps in the second half of the FS. It seems that he can either jump and not do the program or do the program while missing half the jumps. People keep talking about Nepela as if he has some sort of great form there but the jump content in the FS was pretty weak and he still didn't get it right.

rachno2

Record Breaker
What I don't like is that he has no energy for jumps in the second half of the FS. It seems that he can either jump and not do the program or do the program while missing half the jumps. People keep talking about Nepela as if he has some sort of great form there but the jump content in the FS was pretty weak and he still didn't get it right.

Exactly, Nepela was not that great. So when I see him scoring over 20 points lsss than that, it doesn’t comfort me at all, even if it’s an improvement over his GP events.

His 3Lo has never been a big jump, it's way down the list. He usually doubles it rather than UR and falls though.

But it's not particularly small... I wonder what's up. It's clear he's a perfectionist and gets rattled by any mistake he makes. A friend told me about the media hate he got, and I do think it's affecting him, now, too.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
But it's not particularly small... I wonder what's up. It's clear he's a perfectionist and gets rattled by the any mistake he makes. A friend told me about the media hate he got, and I do think it's affecting him, now, too.
He tried not to double it at any cost this time and got an UR and fall seems the most likely explanation. I can't remember him falling on a 3Lo since like junior days, he generally just pops it into a double (edit: or a single, that also happened a few times).

vorravorra

Record Breaker
If its any consolation to you, his team mate Alexander Samarin was equally disappointed with himself - having a fall on 4 Lutz & 1 pop.

The Russian men looked the most stressed among the last 2 groups
You would be stressed in you were in Sasha's and Misha's position. The Fed is watching and both have things to prove.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Maybe Misha should have never trained 3Lz-eu-2S at all and figured out some other combo for Nepela and Finlandia. It seems to have stuck. Or he really has no energy left by that time. I am not sure which at this point.

slowparade

Rinkside
I wish he would stop doing that this season!

Scoring-wise, yes, he should still be considered #1 in Russia. It isn’t Nationals that worries me so much as this continuous cycle of underperformance and disappointment. How much can a person take? Especially somebody like Misha who seems to internalize everything so deeply

Btw, did he tend to pop jumps in the pre-Olympic seasons or did he mostly rotate before falling?

Sighs, the 2S.... I could almost hear his brain thinking while setting it up. I agree with you rachno2, I'm more worried about the failed jumps during comps becoming more and more ingrained in his mind rather than RusNats at this point. Such a confidence killer. Sending all the zen vibes to Misha though!