Elizaveta Tuktamysheva | Page 237 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Danibellerika

Medalist
Hope she doesn't give up at this point and keep improving. There is some politicking behind but until they announce the final list, there is still hope. I don't think the Fed will close their eyes if Liza improves her status from last competition. They need to keep 3 spots anyway.

I actually think they should be okay maintaining 3 spots no matter who they send. It's not like Japan can send more than 3 ladies and who else aside from a couple of outliers could really push them down that significantly? Tursy, Brady, Mariah, Eunsoo but how reliable are they really?

zounger

Medalist
Good luck Liza for your next steps. You will always be one of my favorite Russian ladies, if not the current favorite.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
That's so unfair to Liza. Honestly, I thought the decision was a no-brainer and if anyone had a place on the team, that was Liza. Can't believe Rusfed will leave their only 3A lady and the GPF bronze medalist at home.

Danibellerika

Medalist
That's so unfair to Liza. Honestly, I thought the decision was a no-brainer and if anyone had a place on the team, that was Liza. Can't believe Rusfed will leave their only 3A lady and the GPF silver medalist at home.

She got the bronze, but yeah. I feel sorry for her. At least she has a season she can be proud of based on her OWN efforts, not politics.

Scott512

Record Breaker
That's so unfair to Liza. Honestly, I thought the decision was a no-brainer and if anyone had a place on the team, that was Liza. Can't believe Rusfed will leave their only 3A lady and the GPF bronze medalist at home.

Sad for 3A Liza and Mishin a legendary coach. The vote was a landslide for Zhenya and Zhenya had said Liza deserved to go. It kind of makes you go hmm.

Liza getting pneumonia changed everything. Gutted for this special lady.

Finley

Record Breaker
This woman has every last drop of my respect for the comeback she made this season and the fight she put up to come back again from pneumonia. I don't know what to say except - Respect to Liza from the bottom of my heart. I haven't always been her biggest fan, but I am in awe of her determination and spirit.

onrsvm

On the Ice
Country
Turkey
She deserved to go Worlds. Except her sickness she was very consistent at the competitions, but Zhenya I can’t say same thing. I hope she will slay next season. Love her

bsfan

On the Ice
As I said in another thread a few days back, they probably had the decision already when Liza said she was tired of the selection process and Med said if she was selected she would do her best. There is no wave without wind(old saying). Going further back, those media talks were there not for no reason. Med staying in Russia after nationals was not just for some superficial reasons. Some people have more connections.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so gutted for Liza... This is so cruel to her after the season she had.

If the Russian Fed really had this in mind since Zhenya did well at Nats then the skate-off at the Russian Cup Final is unforgivably cruel for making Liza think she had a chance.

The Russian Figure Skating Fed gets no respect from me, the way they treat their skaters (see: Sergei Vonorov and Artur Gachinski) is disgusting. They're people with feelings, not toys.

LynsJ

On the Ice
So disappointed for Liza. She and evgenia are my favourites so it is bitter sweet. Would loved to have seen them both there. Hope Liza keeps her head up and keeps going! She’s an inspiration. [emoji178]

rachno2

Record Breaker
I feel horrible for Liza. I hope she is proud of what she has accomplished this season and knows she can still be competitive for years to come. There’s a reason so few women can land a 3A. I refuse to believe we have seen the last of her.

LRK

Record Breaker
I know it was mentioned upthread, but I don't think it was linked - Liza's tweet:

https://twitter.com/TuktikLiza/status/1100754381018927104

"Inside myself still was a little girl who naively believed. You’ve killed her. But I’m a fighter and will return"

We've not seen the last of Liza, I'm sure - no one puts the Empress in a corner! Love the words of encouragement from Meagan Duhamel below.

"You always return Because you are a champion "

(I know it was quoted upthread, but thought I'd include it here as well.)

I thought I was prepared for disappointment - but I was wrong. So gutted for Liza.

chasseneige

Rinkside
So disappointed for Liza. She and evgenia are my favourites so it is bitter sweet. Would loved to have seen them both there. Hope Liza keeps her head up and keeps going! She’s an inspiration. [emoji178]

I’m also a huge fan of both skaters and I’m really heartbroken by the decision. Liza was a fearless and inspiring competitor this entire season and I really wish I could see her at Worlds. Given how she prevailed through her pneumonia and delivered a stunning free program not too long ago, I’m confident she’ll continue to put out incredible skates in the upcoming season

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know it was mentioned upthread, but I don't think it was linked - Liza's tweet:

https://twitter.com/TuktikLiza/status/1100754381018927104

"Inside myself still was a little girl who naively believed. You’ve killed her. But I’m a fighter and will return"

Thank you for posting this tweet LRK! It's terrible what the Russian Figure Skating Fed did, but I'm so relieved Liza plans to keep on fighting. I hope she can go to World Team Trophy and slay and I'm excited for next season!

We've not seen the last of Liza, I'm sure - no one puts the Empress in a corner! Love the words of encouragement from Meagan Duhamel below.

"You always return Because you are a champion "

(I know it was quoted upthread, but thought I'd include it here as well.)

Indeed! It's a great reply :) Good to see skaters supporting skaters!

I thought I was prepared for disappointment - but I was wrong. So gutted for Liza.

Oh man I know, I was wishing I hadn't checked my phone last thing before bed, my heart just dropped and I hoped I'd misread.

Anyway, we can only look forward and hope Team Russia does well at Worlds (I certainly don't want any of them to have a bad skate!)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The thing that blows my mind is that the rusfed vote was not even close. Hard to believe.

The first time I saw the results, it was from a site that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw. So, I took them with a pinch of salt. But then I saw the same numbers on a site that I do consider to be reputable. And I just couldn't believe my eyes!

Everybody knows that although I like pretty much all of the Russian skaters, I am first and foremost a massive Liza fan. So, I have been trying to wind this bias back and look at it from a more balanced viewpoint.

You can understand the Fed being cautious about selecting Liza after her being out of action for so long due to illness. And you would understand the Fed being cautious about Zhenya, because she is still bedding in to the new coaching environment.

With this in mind, I thought the choice would be between Konstantinova, Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva. And I was actually expecting the Fed to go for Stasya, thus having the same team they did for Europeans. So, it was a big shock for me that it turned out to be a straight choice between Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva.

OK, so Stasya was a good bit behind the other two in last week's Cup Final due to scoring much lower than them in the FS. But, it is not fair to base the decision on one competition (which was effectively what happened). You have to look at the wider picture. Because this is not just about who to send to Worlds this season. This is about slots for next season as well.

Yes, Zhenya is well ahead of the other 2 in the ISU World Standings. In fact, she is in second position with over 1,000 points more than Stasya and over 1,500 points more than Liza. But, that is largely due to coming second in the Olympics last season.

When you look at the ISU World Rankings for this season, though, Zhenya is miles behind the other 2. In this, Stasya is just narrowly ahead of Liza, and they have roughly double the points of Zhenya.

Of course, these ISU stats only take into consideration international competitions. They do not take into consideration domestic competitions. Looking back to Nationals, Liza wasn't there due to her illness, but the other parts fit with the pattern of the season. Konstantinova was a full 7 points ahead of Medvedeva. That said, Zhenya did have a disasterous SP, and was ahead of Stasya in the FS.

For me, based on the form of the three skaters during the whole of this season, it should have been a close call between Liza and Stasya. Not a runaway win for Zhenya.

Although I am happy for Zhenya to be getting a chance to prove her doubters wrong (and boys but I hope she does!), I am gutted for Liza and Stasya that they were not even close to getting the nod.

In summary, although upset for Liza and Stasya, I don't actually have a problem with Zhenya getting chosen per se. The thing I am having a problem with is the margin that she won by in the vote. Because it just doesn't reflect the realities of this season.

Right, now that I have got that balanced consideration out of the way, normal service will be resumed.

Absolutely gutted that we will not see Liza at Worlds!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

CaroLiza_fan