Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Maybe Raf could be a good choice as Shoma apparently wishes to train with other top men?

I'm sure there's no way that would lead to impending disaster;). And I thought the future potential a couple years down the road for fan drama & bickering with Gogolev and Nathan training there together was epic.

In all seriousness, just please don't go to Morozov, Shoma. I've not seen anything great come out of that with either Denis & Brendan.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
In all seriousness, just please don't go to Morozov, Shoma. I've not seen anything great come out of that with either Denis & Brendan.

What about Daisuke's work with him? Pretty brilliant stuff.

Though to counter my argument right away, I do think that was more Daisuke than anything. He might even be able to make Daniil's programs look acceptable!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm sure there's no way that would lead to impending disaster;). And I thought the future potential a couple years down the road for fan drama & bickering with Gogolev and Nathan training there together was epic.

Morozov created some great programs and coached skaters who won olympic/worlds titles or medals with him. Arakawa, Ando, Takahashi, Ilynikh/Katsalapov, Volosozhar/Trankov, etc.
I think his work is underrated because he's someone who is not loved by most of skating fans. Not the level of Eteri hate but close.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
What about Daisuke's work with him? Pretty brilliant stuff.

I know I should give you a clear, rational answer, and I think I could keep on typing it out for an hour. But the following sarcastic one is the one dying to be in print:

Morozov has one brilliant program in him: Swan Lake. Which he has already used twice. I don't need to see it again.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Although I used to be a Jeremy Abbott fan I would not call him a top man (no Worlds medal)...

Maybe Raf could be a good choice as Shoma apparently wishes to train with other top men? Eteri has no top men, has she?

Anyway, the coaching change was a really big surprise, but some of his jumps need to be corrected.

Oh please. Grand Prix Final champ, 4 time US champ and most ISU GP medals, among others. Much better than many men can speak of in their careers.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I don't know how much English Shoma can understand, but he definitely uses an interpreter for interviews and such. He must know some because of his training the the US, but he's faaaar from fluent. As far as I know, he doesn't speak any other languages either.

(Not that that means anything one way or the other about the coaching change, just saying because people were wondering.)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I don't think it's Eteri, that is quite unrealistic.
There're things from her approach, from which he can benefit, but I doubt that's what he's looking for.
He was still winning a lot this season, so I don't think his move is solely motivated by his last season.
He's probably looking for a specific solution for something that's bothering him quite a bit, and I really wonder what it could be.
In any case, good luck Shoma, you'll be fine no matter in which hands you'll end up!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The fact that a certain coach has experience with x or won’t have issues with y is really pretty meaningless unless we know what’s driving this change from Shoma’s perspective. What does he feel he needs help with? What is a deal breaker for him? I don’t think any of us know that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I mean, I won't be the first to note that the incredible success she has with Ladies is yet to translate to Men. She has had a number of upcoming talents among Junior Men in the past years and does so now, but none has made it to seniors as of yet. She has coached Voronov for a time, but that was a few seasons ago and the success, while there was some, wasn't what Shoma would aspire to. And there's Moris, who's not showing much of impressive results. Then there's the fact that her coaching style is well-known to rely mainly on an extreme amount of repitions, working great for young healthy bodies but posing problems for a bit older athletes with recurring injuries. Which to me makes her an unlikely choice for a senior athlete in Men's divison who has spent most of the last season skating injured.

I don't think it's completely out of the question, of course, just very surprising.

Morisi has had some success, notably a GP silver (first ever GP medal for a Georgian man) last season. He needs better consistency but he still has 2 quads and is improving.

icybear

Medalist
It would be interesting to see him get Daniil choreography which is more diverse than the usual fly swatting choreography he usually gets year in year out. Besides he is already flutzing, prerotating and underrotating so it's not like he will need to learn new techniques if he moves to Eteri:biggrin:

Tutto

Record Breaker
A mad idea: Shoma is moving to Chebotareva in a hope to start jumping like Kolyada (but with a better consistency)
As a result Kolyada will learn a few tricks from Shoma on how to pre /UR rotate
Shoma once singled Kolyada in the interview as the only foreign skater he likes talking to...

:)

Edit: it will also make RusFed happy they were trying desperately to move Kolyada so he could have another top skater as a sparring partner but as Kolyada has proved to be nondetachable from his coach with whom he is just like Shoma since he was 5, the original solution to the problem's been found - ha ha