2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I was looking to see what comps are coming up besides philly. The Hershey Open is coming up in the beginning of August and I'm wondering if this will be where Gracie chooses to go because it is lower profile. Hershey is about 2 hours from Aston. This is total speculation on my part... I have no skating connections and have no more info than anyone else on here.

cherry1

Rinkside
emilia murdock did not particpate in the broadmoor open. She did lake placid which she scored 138 and glacier falls where she scored 146

Emilia Murdock never done triple loop in her short and long program in the any competition until this year March including international competiton after National. She just put triple loop in her short program in the lack placid and Glacier fall due to the rule change of Junior grand prix this year, but she fell very hardly this jump in both competitions. Triple loop is required for Junior short program this year!!!!

haribobo

On the Ice
Emilia is an interesting and worthy skater who medaled at 2019 Nationals in junior. I have seen some of the others and find that some of them are very young and skate young...

If I were to dole out 15 spots just guessing who will do well enough to get 2...
I would give 2 to Liu, Harrell, and Izzo...and 1 for Kalyan, Murdock, Kate Wang, Calista Choi, Sarah Jung, Jessica Lin, Ellen Slavicek, Lindsay Thorngren, and Audrey Shin if recovered. Alternates Elsa Cheng and Isabeau Levito. It won't work out like this exactly but I won't be upset to see any of these skaters get a spot..

natsulian

Final Flight
Emilia is an interesting and worthy skater who medaled at 2019 Nationals in junior. I have seen some of the others and find that some of them are very young and skate young...

If I were to dole out 15 spots just guessing who will do well enough to get 2...
I would give 2 to Liu, Harrell, and Izzo...and 1 for Kalyan, Murdock, Kate Wang, Calista Choi, Sarah Jung, Jessica Lin, Ellen Slavicek, Lindsay Thorngren, and Audrey Shin if recovered. Alternates Elsa Cheng and Isabeau Levito. It won't work out like this exactly but I won't be upset to see any of these skaters get a spot..

Isabeau is not eligible for the Junior Grand Prix until next season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Coaching change for Courtney Hicks:

Her updated USFS fanzone bio ends the suspense. Christy Krall is listed as Courtney's (only) coach.

"Previously coached by Kori Ade."

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=61

… I like Millie’s skating, I don’t mind that she got a spot.

:agree: I like Milly's skating, and I like the fire in her belly.

I think Alysa, Jessica, and Milly are a very exciting team for JGP Lake Placid. :)

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
Emilia Murdock never done triple loop in her short and long program in the any competition until this year March including international competiton after National. She just put triple loop in her short program in the lack placid and Glacier fall due to the rule change of Junior grand prix this year, but she fell very hardly this jump in both competitions. Triple loop is required for Junior short program this year!!!!
I agree! Looking at her protocols she is not the best loop jumper.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Triple loop is required for Junior short program this year!!!!

The requirement is double or triple loop.

I haven't been following this particular skater's career. For junior ladies and men in general: The triple loop is more valuable if you can rotate it. If it's likely to be downgraded, then a clean double would be worth more.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Coaching change for Courtney Hicks:

Her updated USFS fanzone bio ends the suspense. Christy Krall is listed as Courtney's (only) coach.

"Previously coached by Kori Ade."

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=61

:agree: I like Milly's skating, and I like the fire in her belly.

I think Alysa, Jessica, and Milly are a very exciting team for JGP Lake Placid. :)

I think this is a good move for Courtney. She's not old but, she's not getting any younger. If she's going to get on the podium at Nationals, it's now or never. Good luck girl.

natsulian

Final Flight
The US ladies will be up against tough competition from a Japanese lady with a 3A, two of the top echelon Russian juniors, and two Korean ladies who could very well place in the Top 3 or 5. Best of luck to our ladies.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think this is a good move for Courtney. She's not old but, she's not getting any younger. If she's going to get on the podium at Nationals, it's now or never. Good luck girl.

I kinda feel like Courtney's "now or never" was last season. She's just too inconsistent...5 years in a row she's come into nationals with chance to medal and 5 years in a row she's blown it. At this point, I feel like the only way she's going to get into that top 4-5 is if she builds a strong case at events during the regular season and is flawless/outstanding at nationals.

You've got Alysa, Bradie, Mariah, Hanna and Ting ahead of her. After placing 16th last year (her lowest yet) she's going to have to work three times as hard for the USFS to take a chance on her and even then I don't think they'd put her in a position to go to worlds. Just too unreliable...

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
I was looking to see what comps are coming up besides philly. The Hershey Open is coming up in the beginning of August and I'm wondering if this will be where Gracie chooses to go because it is lower profile. Hershey is about 2 hours from Aston. This is total speculation on my part... I have no skating connections and have no more info than anyone else on here.

My daughter and I will be at Hershey next week--we were wondering the same thing as it's now part of the national qualifying series!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

My very uneducated guess is that this move was dictated as much by geography as by desire for change. Kori moved to Nashville and Scott Hamilton’s operation, which has a much different focus and does not (currently) have a stable of elite skaters. Courtney had moved to Colorado just in the past year or so and seemed to be, from social media, loving life there. So if she didn’t go to Nashville, she had to switch coaches. From what I can tell, Kori’s other skaters, Jordan Moeller and Ben Jalovick, also stayed in Colorado.

And I’m looking forward to Courtney’s SP, choreo by Jordan:clap: (I am presuming the Fanzone bio is a typo when it says “Karen Kwas” rather than Kwan, is also doing her choreo.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… From what I can tell, Kori’s other skaters, Jordan Moeller and Ben Jalovick, also stayed in Colorado.

And I’m looking forward to Courtney’s SP, choreo by Jordan:clap:

Jordan Moeller is "not 100% decided either way yet (if I will return to Colorado Springs or move to Nashville)", according to the Figure Skaters Online interview published on on Jul 26.
(I think FSO [which also hosts Jordan's webpage] would do its best not to publish a quote from him if it were obsolete.)

I too am looking forward to Courtney's SP with choreo by Jordan. :agree:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Why is it that girls who win or medal in novice in the US rarely have success at the senior level? There are some exceptions like Karen and Gracie, but overall, the girls who medal in novice nationals are never heard from again.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie Tennell won bronze at 2013 US Novice Nationals.
Alysa Liu won pewter at 2017 US Novice Nationals and Ting Cui won silver
Mariah Bell won bronze at 2011 US Novice Nationals

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
Why is it that girls who win or medal in novice in the US rarely have success at the senior level? There are some exceptions like Karen and Gracie, but overall, the girls who medal in novice nationals are never heard from again.

I feel like sometimes the girls stay in novice til they medal. And novice is way different scoring system then junior and senior(novice has bonus)

macy

Record Breaker
I kinda feel like Courtney's "now or never" was last season. She's just too inconsistent...5 years in a row she's come into nationals with chance to medal and 5 years in a row she's blown it. At this point, I feel like the only way she's going to get into that top 4-5 is if she builds a strong case at events during the regular season and is flawless/outstanding at nationals.

You've got Alysa, Bradie, Mariah, Hanna and Ting ahead of her. After placing 16th last year (her lowest yet) she's going to have to work three times as hard for the USFS to take a chance on her and even then I don't think they'd put her in a position to go to worlds. Just too unreliable...

I have always thought courtney has prioritized working on PCS rather than fixing her technical issues. she has huuuuge jumps and a lot of power, but the landings are very wonky and uncontrollable and she is very inconsistent as a result. i really think fixing this issue should have been her focus and then improving SS, artistry, etc after. her jumps have really suffered as a consequence and i don't think there's any coming back now.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
My very uneducated guess is that this move was dictated as much by geography as by desire for change. Kori moved to Nashville and Scott Hamilton’s operation, which has a much different focus and does not (currently) have a stable of elite skaters. Courtney had moved to Colorado just in the past year or so and seemed to be, from social media, loving life there. So if she didn’t go to Nashville, she had to switch coaches. From what I can tell, Kori’s other skaters, Jordan Moeller and Ben Jalovick, also stayed in Colorado.

And I’m looking forward to Courtney’s SP, choreo by Jordan:clap: (I am presuming the Fanzone bio is a typo when it says “Karen Kwas” rather than Kwan, is also doing her choreo.)

Yes, it would be hard to move again so soon.. new rink, new accomodation, new skating friends etc. Krall is one of my favorite US coaches. I really hope she can help Courtney be stable with her big athletic jumps. Also agree that it will be exciting to see what Jordan and Karen Kwan have choreographed for her.

May this be Courtney's best season ever :dance3:

gkelly

Record Breaker

I think there are several reasons.

I feel like sometimes the girls stay in novice til they medal. And novice is way different scoring system then junior and senior(novice has bonus)

Those are two of them.

Also, among others:

Girls who medal in novice just need to be among the top 3 in the US at the novice level that year. The next year there will be a whole new group of novice medalists.
When they get to senior level, they may be up against skaters who were novices at any time in the past decade. The successful seniors don't move up and out the next year -- they stick around and the most successful tend to stay on the podium.

Many novices still have childlike body types. As they grow and mature, they may end up with adult bodies that are less naturally conducive to rotating in the air or extreme flexibility or other figure skating skills required for success in today's sport

Many also end up leaving the sport, or just failing to progress as much as other competitors in their cohort, due to injuries, finances, changing interests, other family priorities, etc.

cherry1

Rinkside

Most girl won novice who did easy jump combination such as Triple/double and also stayed longer time at lower levels and getting older with higher program component score. Many of novice girl who won national cannot do difficult triple/triple and so cannot survive until senior. The girl who can do difficult triple/triple ( e.g triple lutz/triple toe) at young age may not be poduim at Novice national due to lower program component score/less confidence, but they become more excellent skator with improved program component score at Junior and/or senior level. Girl needs talent to do difficult triple/triple combination jump at young age, but program component score will be increased once they skate more and gain confidence with difficult triple/triple jump in the competition as they aged.

Since some girl can do triple axel and quad in the world and USA, this will be changed again. Now, the girl who can do only triple/triple without triple axel/or quad cannot survive anymore in the future. The lady who can do triple axel/quad should be very talented. Once girl starts puberty (between age of 13-16), body changed a lot and struggle with difficult jumps.
That's the reason why most of russian lady skator cannot survive after age of 16 since genetically they are big and tall once puberty starts. They are really good at Junior.
Two russian girls with quad are very tiny and skinny due to a strict diet. Once they start puberty, their body will be changed and might lost quad jumps.