The future of Tutberidze's group | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The future of Tutberidze's group

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is something disturbing about a 13-year-old skating to Je Suis Malade....

tosca

On the Ice

The music choices for Daria are wildly inappropriate for her age. I feel like that’s part of the recipe of the Eteri camp though...

Amei

Record Breaker
The question is not if somebody sometimes would like to leave, but to where. There is not unlimited number of coaches on the same level that would provide the girls the same quality of training. So far experience with changing a coach is not too positive and the girls are not stupid. Maybe with some more success (=money) in their pockets they could afford some top coach, but that will take some time. Look at Nastya who has to ask fans for finantial help. So, realistically speaking, if we not talk about a fond hope of some wannabe fans to put them to their beloved coach, this will not happen soon.

If we are talking about any of the 3A's breaking away from Eteri, I don't think they would have this issue like Tarakanova - they have all 3 done international shows this past season and I believe Shcherbakova went to Japan last year as well.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Tough topic - do you think Eteri Tutberidze is capable of managing 4+ elite ladies skaters for a long period of time? :think:

The number of 1st places, podium finishes and national team spots is limited. So is the fame, hype and money in still only developing popularity sport of figure skating.
The skaters may repeat ad nauseam how it's all about delivering two good performances, but the insane level of competitiveness is such, that sooner or later somebody starts losing, no matter how good she performed. Two, three, four lost direct duels, season or two off national team, less love from the fans, less media interest, less advertisement contracts and minds may start to seek explanations, improvements, guilt, way out...
It's rather naive to picture all the stars lining up for all these ambitious girls and distributing everything equally - would they even want it? Besides, Alina has already huge experience and time advantage over the Alexandra, Alena and Anna - they all want to catch up!
Then there is Liza Tursynbayeva, who's going to (get well!) fight along for everything but NT spots and super talented juniors who have to be managed, before they join these hunger games as well.

We've witnessed Alina's growing pains in her second season. Most of this is waiting for the younger girls as well. Can we really picture three looong seasons of Alina Zagitova, Liza Tursynbayeva, Alena Kanysheva, Sasha Trusova, Alena Kostornaia, Anna Shcherbakova, Kamila Valieva, Dasha Usacheva, Maya Khromykh competing for their 2022 Olympic dream under the same roof? :confused2:

Yessssssss!

colormyworld240

Medalist
Tough topic - do you think Eteri Tutberidze is capable of managing 4+ elite ladies skaters for a long period of time? :think:

The number of 1st places, podium finishes and national team spots is limited. So is the fame, hype and money in still only developing popularity sport of figure skating.
The skaters may repeat ad nauseam how it's all about delivering two good performances, but the insane level of competitiveness is such, that sooner or later somebody starts losing, no matter how good she performed. Two, three, four lost direct duels, season or two off national team, less love from the fans, less media interest, less advertisement contracts and minds may start to seek explanations, improvements, guilt, way out...
It's rather naive to picture all the stars lining up for all these ambitious girls and distributing everything equally - would they even want it? Besides, Alina has already huge experience and time advantage over the Alexandra, Alena and Anna - they all want to catch up!
Then there is Liza Tursynbayeva, who's going to (get well!) fight along for everything but NT spots and super talented juniors who have to be managed, before they join these hunger games as well.

We've witnessed Alina's growing pains in her second season. Most of this is waiting for the younger girls as well. Can we really picture three looong seasons of Alina Zagitova, Liza Tursynbayeva, Alena Kanysheva, Sasha Trusova, Alena Kostornaia, Anna Shcherbakova, Kamila Valieva, Dasha Usacheva, Maya Khromykh competing for their 2022 Olympic dream under the same roof? :confused2:

Do you mean managing as in keeping them all competitive and doing the best they can individually? Then yes. Last season, she managed Alina, Lilbet, 3A, Valieva, Usacheva, etc. But if you mean managing by having them all win, or podium, then obviously not. There are only 3 medals per comp so it's impossible. But it would be that way with any other coach.

For some skaters, the competitive environment can become too much and they can chose to leave. But that will be the case so long as they're skating for Russia, as these elite skaters' goals aren't to compete domestically forever. And there are only 3 spots for the big comps.

Oh, I don't know. "My so-called life is over since my boyfriend broke up with me. I guess I'll just kill myself." Sounds like a 13-year-old to me.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The music choices for Daria are wildly inappropriate for her age. I feel like that’s part of the recipe of the Eteri camp though...

Also, 13 year olds with full makeup and hairstyling. It’s not just the Russians, either. I thought Haein Lee’s makeup was extreme for a 14 year.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Also, 13 year olds with full makeup and hairstyling. It’s not just the Russians, either. I thought Haein Lee’s makeup was extreme for a 14 year.

It's stage makeup. Made to be visible to the on-site audience.

kalee

On the Ice

Not always... the music choices that Anastasia Tarakanova got ("Fly" and "Sarabande Suite") in 2017-2018 when she was with Eteri's group were age-appropriate and well suited to her personality. Those still really stick in my mind...

ruga

Final Flight
I don't think that's unique to Eteri and that all of her students have inappropriate music. Aliona is skating to Twilight and Sasha to Game of Thrones that are very appropriate and understandable for 15-16 year olds. But their choices for juniors were ???? Daria gets "Je suis malade" and "Please Don't Make Me Love You". She is very mature, but why pick pieces that a 13 year old doesn't and shouldn't have the ability to relate to? Maiia had a nice SP, but FS music is quite weird as it's a duet and it overwhelms Maiia's subtle and refined skating. Kamila got nice programs though. Haven't seen Alena but I hope hers match her style as well.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Nobody said they are stupid, but not everyone is mentally and physically able to sustain her training method for years. Talented skaters have left her before and they will leave again. That's just the nature of the sport. And then there are only 2 choices - go to another coach, or quit.

Nobody ever pointed out in what "her training method" is harder to sustain "mentally and physically" than in any other top team. Or, are skaters leaving Eteri's team for they are unable to sustain her training method mentally and physically while when they are leaving another team it is from a completely different reason? Still, talented skaters who left recently: Polina - wasn't in fact interrested in figure skating as a whole (moving to Buyanova was in fact only first step to quitting), Nastya - intended to end skating completely, Zhenya - no comment. So, this was definitely not due to sustaining something mentally and physically Eteri's "method" particularly, all this were different reasons that would occur everywhere else.

But the question I asked was "where" to leave and I doubt that there is much choice for those who want to stay at the top.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
If we are talking about any of the 3A's breaking away from Eteri, I don't think they would have this issue like Tarakanova - they have all 3 done international shows this past season and I believe Shcherbakova went to Japan last year as well.

With the prices of training, choreos and living elsewhere I strongly tghink they would have now, it would be like a freshly emplyed person spending the whole first salary on drinking.

tosca

On the Ice
I don't think that's unique to Eteri and that all of her students have inappropriate music. Aliona is skating to Twilight and Sasha to Game of Thrones that are very appropriate and understandable for 15-16 year olds. But their choices for juniors were ???? Daria gets "Je suis malade" and "Please Don't Make Me Love You". She is very mature, but why pick pieces that a 13 year old doesn't and shouldn't have the ability to relate to? Maiia had a nice SP, but FS music is quite weird as it's a duet and it overwhelms Maiia's subtle and refined skating. Kamila got nice programs though. Haven't seen Alena but I hope hers match her style as well.

I feel like Eteri’s team use very powerful pieces of music as a vehicle for the skaters to “be emotive”. Not to say that none of them succeed.. Alena K for example is a clear example of that. I stand behind what I said, I can’t imagine a 13 year old relating to “je suis malade” or “please don’t make me love you”
Unless this 13 year old is Shakespeare’s Juliet.

zounger

Medalist
I feel like Eteri’s team use very powerful pieces of music as a vehicle for the skaters to “be emotive”. Not to say that none of them succeed.. Alena K for example is a clear example of that. I stand behind what I said, I can’t imagine a 13 year old relating to “je suis malade” or “please don’t make me love you”

I see it as a way of training. Even if the task is beyond your abilities, I want to see how far you can go with it.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

what's up with people suddenly being so railed up about music choices? She'll have to skate to that type of music in 2 years anyway when she's a senior (!), so why not give it to her now?
You can't imagine a 13-year-old teenager falling in love? =) Do you have teenage children/siblings? They start talking that they liked this boy/girl as soon as they go to school and keep doing so until they graduate.
Of course, they might have their own understanding of what "love" really is, but it doesn't mean they can't relate or understand romantic feelings.
Oh, and trust me, their romantic feelings when they are teens are way more powerful and emotional than we as adults experience them.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Not always... the music choices that Anastasia Tarakanova got ("Fly" and "Sarabande Suite") in 2017-2018 when she was with Eteri's group were age-appropriate and well suited to her personality. Those still really stick in my mind...

What is Sarabande Suite about? I’ve always wondered. I can hear in the lyrics “Earthly prophet, break free” and “Amen” a lot, but I don’t know what the song is saying. So, was it appropriate for a 13 year old?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's stage makeup. Made to be visible to the on-site audience.

How does that make a difference? And it’s more than just making features visible, I have noticed heavy red lipstick, dark eyeshadow and even false eyelashes on 13 and 14 year olds.