Mikhail Kolyada | Page 219 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
You are right. But he doesn't even go to Rostelecom this season, so maybe it's time to drop Finlandia at least once and try some other CS too.
Mika is a very charming young man, he will be widely welcomed I'm sure, so I think Nebelhorn is waving to him haha.:laugh:

Espoo/Helsinki is half the distance compared to Moscow. And doesn't have any pressure from the Fed watching him - of course, I wouldn't be opposed to Nebelhorn or any other CS. He went to Zagreb last year, so I'd say he's not exactly opposed to changing things up. Maybe if Nebelhorn wasn't so close to Nepela?

Tatjana

On the Ice
Many thanks for the info and as always looking forward to this interview!

I wonder if Nepela is such a good idea as it is early enough in the season. Considering he had a wedding to organise and then 2 weeks taken from his usual training routine by the show, it is reasonable to assume that his form is far from competition ready yet. A later than usual start of the season might be wiser me thinks :scratch2:

I talked with the coach about the choice of events. Originally they wanted to start the season later probably with Finlandia Trophy and with Minsk Ice Star. This was because of the possibility of surgery (that luckily was not necessary) and also because of Misha missing some time in the spring when he was recovering from the sinusitis. He also had some problems with his knee and couldn't jump as much in June/July. However, Misha got selected for Skate Canada, the second Grand Prix, and he needs to compete before that and so timewise these two events worked. They are familiar, too, which might be good.
Obviously I'd love to see Misha at Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf, but unfortunately the Russian Federation has been very reluctant sending skaters there as they feel it is too expensive.

The interview is supposed to go online tomorrow on the Russian Federation's website and also on Katze Lucinda Youtube Channel (on Katze Lucinda's channel with English subtitles).

Tutto

Record Breaker
The interview is now online at www.fsrussia.ru and Katze Lucinda (with English subtitles on Katze Lucinda): https://youtu.be/EoKqkklFxKM

Great interview as always! :thumbsup:

I admire the way he wants to keep his personal life really private we are lucky we got to hear about the wedding at all ha ha!

I found it a bit alarming that we are obviously facing another year of ever changing layouts, did it really work in the last season?

But hoping whatever his team thinks best will work for him, I myself feel he has more maturity more experience to combat the competition nerves, all will depend on his health and luck this season :pray:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wonderful interview. He always makes me smile! Sounds like he had a great off-season with fun ice shows, some R & R, and a marriage! He seems to genuinely like his programs, which is always a good sign.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It's clear that Misha make any interviewer works for their answers, haha. Hoping he can have a good season!

Tutto

Record Breaker
I talked with the coach about the choice of events. Originally they wanted to start the season later probably with Finlandia Trophy and with Minsk Ice Star. This was because of the possibility of surgery (that luckily was not necessary) and also because of Misha missing some time in the spring when he was recovering from the sinusitis. He also had some problems with his knee and couldn't jump as much in June/July. However, Misha got selected for Skate Canada, the second Grand Prix, and he needs to compete before that and so timewise these two events worked. They are familiar, too, which might be good.
Obviously I'd love to see Misha at Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf, but unfortunately the Russian Federation has been very reluctant sending skaters there as they feel it is too expensive.

Just my curiosity, was Oberstdorf always the only CS place in Germany? I understand that it is not easy to travel there and maybe this is one of the reasons it is not so popular as it could have been

Tatjana

On the Ice
Just my curiosity, was Oberstdorf always the only CS place in Germany? I understand that it is not easy to travel there and maybe this is one of the reasons it is not so popular as it could have been

A country can have only one Challenger Series event, but can have also other international competitions. In addition to Nebelhorn Trophy, Germany hosts the "NRW Trophy" (now it was in August, it used to be in November and there were even two of them - for singles/pairs and a separate one for dance).
The problem of Oberstdorf is indeed that it is quite far away from the nearest airport (Munich). Since Oberstdorf is a popular holiday resort, hotels are quite expensive, too. I think Misha would like Oberstdorf as it is surrounded by mountains and is very pretty. Daria, his wife (still feels strange to say that, they are so young!) actually trained also in Oberstdorf when she was skating pairs with Mark Magyar. Maybe we can lure him to Oberstdorf next season. :) After the competition he (or they) can visit the Oktoberfest in Munich on the way home. :laugh:

Tutto

Record Breaker
A country can have only one Challenger Series event, but can have also other international competitions. In addition to Nebelhorn Trophy, Germany hosts the "NRW Trophy" (now it was in August, it used to be in November and there were even two of them - for singles/pairs and a separate one for dance).
The problem of Oberstdorf is indeed that it is quite far away from the nearest airport (Munich). Since Oberstdorf is a popular holiday resort, hotels are quite expensive, too. I think Misha would like Oberstdorf as it is surrounded by mountains and is very pretty. Daria, his wife (still feels strange to say that, they are so young!) actually trained also in Oberstdorf when she was skating pairs with Mark Magyar. Maybe we can lure him to Oberstdorf next season. :) After the competition he (or they) can visit the Oktoberfest in Munich on the way home. :laugh:

Many thanks! Despite the difficult logistics Oberstdorf sounds like a really lovely place and indeed we know that Mika loves mountains. Who knows maybe next season?

By the way I just re- watched the interview and it dawned on me that it was in fact a masterclass in how to talk a lot and to tell very little and all that with the most charming manner, never pausing, looking for words or anything. Hats off to Mika he could make a politician one day! Hard to believe it is the same young man we remember from his first senior season :laugh::luv17:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I like the music, i think it offers him more chances in his skating than the slow-rock Scorpions did. I love Wind of change, but i thought from the beginning that the music is too slow and monotone for the kind of program one has to skate nowadays (cramming it with steps, turns, cross-overs, jumps, etc). The new music has the right dynamic and energy to make an impression on the judges and public and to don't be easy forgotten between other 20 skaters at a contest.

Good luck, Mika!

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Yes, that is the surprise. The new program is to "Diga Diga Doo" and it's really fun. At first I thought it might be too similar to the long program, but it is not. It has a different feel and character.

Thank you for the inside-info! How are his 4turns jumps working? Are they working so well that he can choose, or not so well and he will jump once again different jumps from a competition to the other till something work?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, I'm all for music that makes him feel comfortable skating. :)

Just watched the program, not bad at all. Jumps a bit all over the place, but nothing new on that front, haha. It seems to highlight well his strengths, tho.