Mikhail Kolyada | Page 220 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Needs way more steps and way more speed. Tbh I wish he would have kept his lyrical program. The gliding and emotional buildup (and jumps on crescendoes) really suited his style, “carriage,” and skating skills. Perhaps he wanted to avoid the big lead-ups to jumps because he would get too nervous and possibly pop. It looks to me like a lyrical program that was hastily converted to a more upbeat number. But think of how Messing, Browning, or even Hamilton would skate to this. I understand it’s just a work in progress and a test skate, but I hope the choreography will be much more complex and interesting in the final product.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I am one who love much more an upbeat program for competition. Slow music is well and good for exhibitions, but the skaters have to cram so many jumps and steps and this and that in a program that either it doesn't work with a slow music or the skater cannot show himself as needed. Very few succeed with a slow program nowadays. Also, too slow music if generic MOR songs is for me just boring (one reason i don't watch women skating competitions).

I like the music he choose but one see that there was not enough time to develop it. His hands are just there in the way for a lot of the time. I am sure they will polish it further. How long ago did he change the program? I am not bothered about the jumps, it is clear to me that Mika is not yet comfortable with the program so he cannot concentrate on the jumps yet. Tomorrow we will see how the Chaplin works.

I still dream that Mika will choose to do sometimes in the future a program on traditional Russian music. THAT would be amazing!

Edit to add: i hate the costume!:laugh:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBFMF92d548

Watch t quickly, it will be deleted for sure sooner or later like yesterday.

About the program: i expect more from Mika and this program. Last years programs were both much better, sigh. On the plus he went for both quads, even when it didn't went well, at least he put them there. But yeah, i want more- there are many Chaplin outthere and his is not special enough like the Carmen was.... (i din't liked any man program today thought).

Tutto

Record Breaker
Okay finally got a chance to watch both programs. The first impression that artistically it is a step down from the last season, neither program has a promise to be memorable unlike the last season when it was obvious from the start that his Muse was really a top class program and Carmen of a potential to become even iconic (if clean), each was highlighting his strong points - power and fluidity of movement in Muse and his elegance & beautiful positions in Carmen.
The new ones both show that he can do fun programs - but did we doubt that for a moment? No we've known that and definitely don't need same in both.
Jumps wise I retain any judgement at least until Nepela. In the warm-up his jumps looked good which is reassuring as the news of a knee injury in the summer worried me.
On the whole, left with a rather depressed feeling.... sorry guys

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, we always think it's going to either be amazing or the end of the world, but nothing of that ever happens. As I said bedore, if you don't manage your expectations you're always going to be disappointed, so. :agree:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Well, we always think it's going to either be amazing or the end of the world, but nothing of that ever happens. As I said bedore, if you don't manage your expectations you're always going to be disappointed, so. :agree:

No nothing like that with me, I always expect the worst and let myself be pleasantly surprised otherwise :)
What I do expect from an elite skater like Mika is a visible progress from season to season, and so far with the exception of season 2016-2017, his programs were doing just that showing his steady progress.
His new SP is fine but in compassion with Muse its so how shall I put it? - common, you could watch Euros or Worlds and you find many a program very similar in the earlier groups.
Chaplin should have been left as EX where it belongs, that was my feeling from the start and it has been only strengthened today.
IMHO Mika will do very well if he could let other people choose for him (see Lambiel & Muse) because his own judgement alas is not very good. Sorry, you all know I am his very loyal fan and will remain as such no matter what, but can't help feeling disappointed with his potential at risk be never fully realised only because he is too stubborn. He needs guidance of someone he would respect and trust their judgement above his own.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think both of his programs are a bit samey, but eh, not like we can do anything. I also didn't like his Muse program that much, or thought his Carmen was fantastic either. In fairness, none of his programs besides his Olympic season SP have a lot of a replay factor to me, but that's a personal opinion in the end. Chaplin was pretty much what put Javi onto the podium, for comparison. And in his later seasons he also skated some similar programs too.

In the end, what Misha needs the most is to land his jumps. Judges made it pretty clear that they are going to reward him for it.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think both of his programs are a bit samey, but eh, not like we can do anything. I also didn't like his Muse program that much, or thought his Carmen was fantastic either. In fairness, none of his programs besides his Olympic season SP have a lot of a replay factor to me, but that's a personal opinion in the end. Chaplin was pretty much what put Javi onto the podium, for comparison. And in his later seasons he also skated some similar programs too.

In the end, what Misha needs the most is to land his jumps. Judges made it pretty clear that they are going to reward him for it.

That I wholeheartedly agree with. But a well choreographed program hardly could do any harm and help to keep a second mark decent even when jumps are not working. With Chaplin I fear the effect will be the opposite.
It is pity that he doesn't like classical music

Tutto

Record Breaker
It seems to be in the style of that SP that got turned into an EX in 2015-2016. That one also didn't look like a finished program. And whatever Misha may think of lyrical programs, they actually look good on him.

I agree they show off his posture & beautiful positions better, also me thinks his big problem, rushing the timing on the jumps when nervous, only gets worse when it is a fast paced program

Tatjana

On the Ice
Test skates were crazy...
Just my opinion:
I really like the new SP. I agree with others that Misha looks great in lyrical programs, but he said he doesn't feel comfortable with this and so he dumped the Wind of Change. I saw it a the test skates in St. Petersburg and while I thought it was good, I liked Muse better. Anyway, the new program was put together in a short time before the test skates, so it is definitely not a finished product yet, but even now I thought it suits him well and it has a lot of potential.

Chaplin is cute and works well for him. As others say, if he lands his jumps, he'll be up there, no matter what he skates to as the overall quality of his skating and his elements is excellent.
I liked that he showed fighting spirit and threw in that extra triple Axel and it was a nice one.
One important thing - he needs to smile more in both programs, even when he makes mistakes. The character of these programs just demands a smile. :) Alexander Samarin didn't skate too well either, but he tried to sell his program with a smile until the end.

What do you think about the Chaplin costume? I am not sure about it, I kind of felt it made him look "quadratic", but this might just be me?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel like a lot of people didn't like Muse at first. I remember people being disappointed after first viewing, like they expected more from Lambiel. Am I misremembering?

Anyways, I like the SP a lot. I was a bit meh on the Chaplin, but I haven't rewatched it.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
What do you think about the Chaplin costume? I am not sure about it, I kind of felt it made him look "quadratic", but this might just be me?

I think he needs something not so serious, this costume is too understated. After the highlight of costume for Carmen this one is boring.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think he needs something not so serious, this costume is too understated. After the highlight of costume for Carmen this one is boring.

Which is why I appreciate the SP costume, there's a bit more color in it. Not that I like it that much. I think Misha needs to let lose a bit, not just with his music choices. If he wants to be fun, he has to go full on, like he did with his SP back hen he splashed into the scene.