2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 640 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Pantsu

On the Ice
I just don't get it. Maria's coaches looked happy after that fs. I mean, come on. That is not a some local event where you can skate for pleasure
The only reason i see is the money she gets from the fed. There are skaters who actually try hard and don't get assignments to GP. Not cool

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Maria was hosed for her jump issues more than ever in France, strict judging like that made things seem worse than they really were. Sure, it was bad, but there's still a lot to like about her skating in general and she did commit herself to going for each jump.

Is she qualified for Nationals because she had a GP assignment?

Because if so, she has time to think about her next step, I'm not one of those who thinks she should give up and retire, but the situation right now, juggling her education and skating, isn't working. If she wants to continue, I wish her the best, but something has to change or this streak of poor results will only get worse.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she wants to continue, I wish her the best, but something has to change or this streak of poor results will only get worse.

I don't think the Russian Fed will submit her for other international events unless she skates much better. They have at least 10 women without GP assignments who could have scored higher in France.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
This is true. In every sport the champ gets the calls in a close contest. To beat the champ you have to knock her out -- you cannot expect any help from the judges.

I never believed she was going to beat Alina but in a world where things are fair and impartial I think it could have happened and would have been deserved. Don’t tell me the latter deserved the highest PCS in the event because she didn’t and to say that she didn’t deserve the calls she got is another joke. The jumps that were called were clearly ur, the edge issues there (should have probably been ! In the short but that is ONE call after how many generous ones for urs last year?) Even if they were harsher to Bell (! On lutz, they did call her ur in the free) I think the PCS she deserved should have had her over Alina in a perfect world, especially once you adjust Alina to be more fair to Kaori and Alena who were the top PCS skaters in this event.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I don't think the Russian Fed will submit her for other international events unless she skates much better. They have at least 10 women without GP assignments who could have scored higher in France.

Exactly.

It will get harder for her to continue competing, with far fewer events open to her.
I would love to see her do well again, but I just can't see it happening.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I never believed she was going to beat Alina but in a world where things are fair and impartial I think it could have happened and would have been deserved. Don’t tell me the latter deserved the highest PCS in the event because she didn’t and to say that she didn’t deserve the calls she got is another joke. The jumps that were called were clearly ur, the edge issues there (should have probably been ! In the short but that is ONE call after how many generous ones for urs last year?) Even if they were harsher to Bell (! On lutz, they did call her ur in the free) I think the PCS she deserved should have had her over Alina in a perfect world, especially once you adjust Alina to be more fair to Kaori and Alena who were the top PCS skaters in this event.

I don't usually mind Alina's PCS, like it or not we know she has that "Champion boost"

But I don't think it should have been that high in the FS, she had an almost fall and some messy landings on top of her usual hunched over posture, which for some reason her choreography seemed to only highlight more...lots of bending forward bizarrely.

Alyona was not only cleaner but absolutely exquisite in general...even made me hate Twilight a little less LOL

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I don't get it: CSKA is more and more looking like the kiss of death for all these russian girls, and i know it may sound rude because i think coaches there very much accept whatever the skaters want to do: if the athlete wants to compete and win they'll help them, if he/she doesn't, they will be okay too.

This is certainly a more relaxed approach than what we saw from other coaching teams, at the same i think most of the coach's job is on motivating the athlete to achieve more, who's benefiting from sending completely unpreparred skaters to international competitions? it's like nobody care.

All of CSKA? I think #TeamDavydov has the right approach to match #TeamTutberidzeForProgress in their results: work hard every day or get out. Davydov himself explained in his interview there has been a period when the skaters were more or less 'in charge of themselves', but this didn't work out. Children and youths need rules and discipline, some more than others, but in general a firm hand in guiding them.

Many or even most of the adult skaters are also left to their own devices most of the time, the teacher-pupil relationship here is different.

It would perhaps be a good idea to have a student athlete system in place, like NCAA, but is there such a thing in Russia?
Many NCAA athletes aren't selected for their academic qualities after all ...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Well, can we subscribe to the consensus that the Terrific Trio of Aleksandra, Anna and Alyona are held to different standards? In some Russian circles there already has formed the opinion that #TeamTutberidzeForProgress skaters are under increased judiciary scrutiny for fear they will destroy the sport and the comfortable position of some officials, trainers, programs that have an interest in keeping figure skating the way it is?

Some sources already foretold this, I have read and interpreted some articles and blog posting on this subject over the previous weeks. And the only answer the Awesome And Amazing Aces can give is to compete at full strength and let their results speak, while the skaters and their coaches remain silent. Not fuelling any discord, controversy, negativity that can be used against them. United they stand, compete and conquer the barriers put up for them.

The bold and challenging hashtag of #xxxDownxxxToGo is indicative of both #TeamTutberidzeForProgress' fearless confidence in their skaters, and the fear these same skaters instill in those conservative forces.

Seruleane

Final Flight
That initial comment was made by a poster who loves to trash Alina. Just ignore and don’t feed the trolls 👍

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
Very strange that the US skater , Mariah, holds the US flag and represents her country. The 2 Russians represent Eteri. 😂

It means the same, Eteri has the blessing of the Kremlin, and with it she becomes ambassador of the entire federation. The 3 stripes are well represented with she.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Rodina apparently 'interviewed' Panenkova, anybody watched? For this could mean the end of Panenkova's career, being lured into all kinds of traps just like Rodina did to Gubanova.

Panenkova has her IG live streams already recorded and put on YT by some other of those rotten channels that compromise active figure skaters.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This is true. In every sport the champ gets the calls in a close contest. To beat the champ you have to knock her out -- you cannot expect any help from the judges.
Exactly.

It's interesting cause i think Serafima and Maria results are very different.

Serafima was trained for the season, she did well at early Cup of Russia events, you can see it in her stamina, in her spins,... unfortunately her trip to Canada was not very successful, because she made mistakes but that can happen for many reasons: lack of experience on an international stage or just a bad day.

It wasn't a complete bomb, 175 points is not a great score but not terrible either, and to be fair her chances to medal on that tough event were almost none anyway.

Were the other skaters who didn't get the assignment really that much better?

Considering Tarusina retired for too many injuries, you have Nugumanova, Gubanova, Guliakova and frankly they were all on a similar level or even worse.

While Sotskova showed up at all the events with not enough runthroughs, not enough training, almost old-school soviet thinking: you train during the actual event, which is an absurd way of thinking under the IJS system in such a competitive field.

You can clearly see this with the lack of stamina and speed on the jumps, spins, everything.

It's different even from someone like Konstantinova who i believe trains the single elements well, she just struggles to bring it together in competition.

I guess RusFed or the coaches sent her to the events anyway in hope that after one meltdown or two she would have understood that more work is needed to achieve better results, but it has been more than a year like this.

It's hard to point fingers without knowing who is really pushing this: is it the skater who is giving up but still compete because money and other benefits, is it the coach who can't work with skaters without spending the whole day on ice, is it the club who forces skaters to show up anyway just to not lend these spots to other competing clubs.

What's important here for her is to set goals, even if she doesn't want to reach her old form, at least work on a schedule aimed at bringing improvements.

I think that's what makes serafimas SK result even more sad it's because she was actually in pretty good form leading into it.

We've been over this before she didn't even qualify for Russian Nationals last year she should not have gotten the Grand Prix spot. I can think of more than one girl a couple years younger than Serafima that could have gotten that oh so valuable Grand Prix event. so Serafima should have not received the Grand Prix event. Masha should not have received the Grand Prix event especially since she was in obviously deep decline. And Stasya as much as I like her and I do should have only received one Grand Prix event because she has bombed many events over the years. The Russian Federation is to blame for this and not the skaters. They have to start considering who they think there's a better chance to do well rather than on what someone did two seasons ago.

The youngerSt. Petersburg ladies cannot get better unless they get events. It's that simple. Right now all three Anastasia and Nugumanova are buried by the Russian Federation. Nugu has made great strides with her new coach.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Rodina apparently 'interviewed' Panenkova, anybody watched? For this could mean the end of Panenkova's career, being lured into all kinds of traps just like Rodina did to Gubanova.

Panenkova has her IG live streams already recorded and put on YT by some other of those rotten channels that compromise active figure skaters.

Panenkova is a downed pilot. If only she started training...
And so... we can discuss Irina Rodnina's latest plastic surgery. It's the same thing.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Exactly.

I think that's what makes serafimas SK result even more sad it's because she was actually in pretty good form leading into it.

We've been over this before she didn't even qualify for Russian Nationals last year she should not have gotten the Grand Prix spot. I can think of more than one girl a couple years younger than Serafima that could have gotten that oh so valuable Grand Prix event. so Serafima should have not received the Grand Prix event. Masha should not have received the Grand Prix event especially since she was in obviously deep decline. And Stasya as much as I like her and I do should have only received one Grand Prix event because she has bombed many events over the years. The Russian Federation is to blame for this and not the skaters. They have to start considering who they think there's a better chance to do well rather than on what someone did two seasons ago.

The youngerSt. Petersburg ladies cannot get better unless they get events. It's that simple. Right now all three Anastasia and Nugumanova are buried by the Russian Federation. Nugu has made great strides on your her new coach.

Masha gave us the third place in the world championship. Her country owed her. The Motherland has paid its debt.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Masha gave us the third place in the world championship. Her country owed her. The Motherland has paid its debt.

That's nice for the Russian Federation to reward Moscow Masha but when did they ever do that for St. Petersburg Liza who won the World Championship? Remember worlds last year? These decisions are made for Moscow skaters made by Moscow Federation people.

Does anyone know what the first second and third-place finishes were in Sochi?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
That's nice for the Russian Federation to reward Moscow Masha but when did they ever do that for St. Petersburg Liza who won the World Championship? Remember worlds last year? These decisions are made for Moscow skaters made by Moscow Federation people.

Does anyone know what the first second and third-place finishes were in Sochi?

1. Tsibinova 2. Gubanova 3. Gulyakova.
If I have calculated correctly, Tsibinova, Nugumanova and Gubanova are clear for RusNats.
Talalaykina, Tarakanova and Leonova have good chances to Q too. But they need to perform.
It looks like Gulyakova is in the outs at the moment, depends on what T+T+L does.

IcyMathStats

Rinkside
Country
United-States

Link please? (assuming it has subtitles in English)
Or just a brief 2-3 sentence summary of what she said.

Scott512

Record Breaker
1. Tsibinova 2. Gubanova 3. Gulyakova.
If I have calculated correctly, Tsibinova, Nugumanova and Gubanova are clear for RusNats.
Talalaykina, Tarakanova and Leonova have good chances to Q too. But they need to perform.
It looks like Gulyakova is in the outs at the moment, depends on what T+T+L does.

Thanks alot.

It's time for the Russian Federation to expand their Nationals to 20 + skaters.