What skater in history would you like to interview? | Golden Skate

What skater in history would you like to interview?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was thinking about a thread where we got to send out a hug to a skater who needed it or whom we just loved but that sounds too fan fest like for The Edge folder. Then started thinking of who I would like to interview if I could choose any skater alive or dead who seemed like they would have something to say. Then I thought coaches too and skaters on the cusp who are only beginning.

It seemed impossible as so many skaters came to mind but would any seem that interesting based on what I know?

I decided that I would like to interview Dick Button to see what gave him the drive he had and pick his brain about all the skaters he had known and what he thinks of the top ladies of today. I suspect it would be a three hour at least conversation. The Coach I would want most to interview is a Eteri. Esp right now to ask her if she tells truth who has been the skater she has cared about the most. And ask her how she felt when Alina triumphed over Zhenya as Zhenya sobbed after coming off ice. How can one woman be mother figure to all these talented children and not have favorites? She is a fascinating coach or as plush has said “ manager,”

Another skater I’d like to interview if she would open up is Kerrigan. We all know so much of Harding’s thoughts but I want to know why Nancy was never angry in public and always held back. Even after the movie with Margot Robbie and the press even helping to rehab Tonya why did Nancy not once get really angry and tell us plainly exactly what she felt about Tonya and the truth? Her career is long over and still so measured. Never once did she say what most would or wish a house fell on Tonya which would be understandable. And no book about her life which is pretty interesting as yet. He family, her special mom, her falling in love with older married manager, her struggle to have kids. I think she has a very interesting auto bio in her.

Also I would love to Interview a truthful Katiaabout all the loves of her life. I wish she would write a sequel to My Sergei and with all the men who adored her who was the love of her life? Also what does she see for her self now that her skating is finally winding down? I loved her first book. A dinner with Katia would be fun if she talked. Since I know all about her skating with Sergei and read that book I guess I would want to know who this mysterious beauty is today?

So who would you interview or just have dinner with and why? I’m a bit bored waiting for all the Nationals to happen lol.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'd like to interview Maria Butyrskaya. With the Russian Ladies dominating recent World Championships, I'd like to know what she thinks of all these champions. She was the first Russian Woman to win Worlds in 1999.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes she was. I remember well and everyone was happy for her. Michelle messed up and Masha skated very well that day. I don’t adore her and used to cringe at the falls but I think she is amazing for persevering. She used to skate at Hockey games to get used to big crowds. Her nerves were an issue. What exactly is Masha up to now? Marriage a Kids etc? Does she ever do shows?

And as Mrrice well knows she was so lovely to look at.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I would like to organize a panel discussion with Miki Ando, Midori Ito, and Mao Asada about what their lives are like now and what they think about the latest developments (quads, 3A) in ladies' skating.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
What a nice subject for a thread. Thanks for starting it! I'm going to be open here. Forgive me if there are questions which are intrusive or go too far. It is a wish after all, not what I would probably really do, let alone be able to do!

I would love to interview Alexei Yagudin. How has a guy who thinks helping Aids victims is important, become so homophobe? Does he still feel Tatiana Tarasova is like a second mum to him (he went to her because he mentioned in an interview once how much he wanted that kind of relationship with his coach, and that he saw it with Ilia Kulik). Does he really think you can get children to order (I realise this is a bit gross but I've heard so many people saying 'oh they want another daughter', and I always thought it's easy to say no to having children, but once you would like to have them they definitely don't come at command)? Of course I would also like to chat about the programmes which I enjoyed so much at the time. Winter! Oh my.

Aljona Savchenko is also one of the firsts on my list. I would like to know more about her (skating) autobiography (coming out this spring, in the German language) and how she managed to get it written. Are Bruno and Sophie still good friends with her and Liam (they seem to be)? Her change of outlook after meeting Liam. I would like to know more about her life, and what she felt when she finally, at her 5th Olympics, won gold in Korea. What is it exactly what makes her enjoy competing so much? So much more to talk about with this fascinating woman. Parts a bit gossipy perhaps, but so interesting! I suspect I could talk with her for hours and hours.

I also would really love to interview Oksana Baiul. I would want to know more about what went wrong in her relationship with her coach, and also with her friend Viktor Petrenko with whom she once seemed so close. How she became a money grabbing woman (you should have seen how easily she fitted in with the whole suing process in asking for millions in perceived damages, although she didn't get anything out of it) instead of that poor orphan for whom we all felt compassion at the time. Not that children have to stay the way they are, but to me it was always a bit of a downer that this lovely young girl became so different later in life. She'd probably throw me right out of the door, but one can wish.

And lastly, I would love to interview Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean. Do I have to elaborate? I don't think so!

noskates

Record Breaker
I would love to interview Kurt Browning. I think the energy in the room would be awesome. I want to know how he goes about choreographing a program, what it's like to be married to a prima ballerina, and are his c hildren interested in skating at all.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'd like to interview Maria Butyrskaya. With the Russian Ladies dominating recent World Championships, I'd like to know what she thinks of all these champions. She was the first Russian Woman to win Worlds in 1999.

Well if you interview her, please tell her thank you from me for never ever ever being boring.

It's such an underrated quality in skating.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Yes she was. I remember well and everyone was happy for her. Michelle messed up and Masha skated very well that day. I don’t adore her and used to cringe at the falls but I think she is amazing for persevering. She used to skate at Hockey games to get used to big crowds. Her nerves were an issue. What exactly is Masha up to now? Marriage a Kids etc? Does she ever do shows?

And as Mrrice well knows she was so lovely to look at.

Michelle was very sick at that Worlds (a fact rarely mentioned) but speaking of Michelle, an interview with Michelle and Tara together along with Yuna and Mao, and Medvedeva and Zagitova. I guess that’s more than one, but all 6 of these girls together to put to rest the rumors.

Oh, and the lovely Liza Tuktamysheva as the interviewer. We’d need her sass

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
I really want to talk with Yuzuru Hanyu about jump mechanics and recovery from injury as i believe he has some serious knowledge about it both from academics and personal experience.

I also can't help but be really curious about how he handles (and has handled through the years) his asthma as an elite figure skater and athlete since he almost never discusses it.

(He seems really interested in bioethics and philosophy lately too, so that would also be fun to discuss).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Tamara Moskvina and Aleksei Mishin — they both spent their entire lives in figure skating, and formerly being partners, now being coaches and they had seen 80 years of history... I just think it would be fascinating!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Janet Lynn. I only "met" her through YouTube, but she had that rare shining wow factor which perfectly transcends the time. And she seemed just as unique as a person, who almost completely disappeared from the limelight, preferring to dedicate herself to her own family. It is a pity for the skating world, yet perhaps that is one of the qualities that makes her special. I would like to know what she would say/think about today's scene, if she would have any advices to today's skaters, or scoring system, fandom (she had an incredible fan base in Japan since the 72 Sapporo Olympic Games and said to continue even now) and the skating world in general.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Janet Lynn. I only "met" her through YouTube, but she had that rare shining wow factor which perfectly transcends the time. And she seemed just as unique as a person, who almost completely disappeared from the limelight, preferring to dedicate herself to her own family. It is a pity for the skating world, yet perhaps that is one of the qualities that makes her special. I would like to know what she would say/think about today's scene, if she would have any advices to today's skaters, or scoring system, fandom (she had an incredible fan base in Japan since the 72 Sapporo Olympic Games and said to continue even now) and the skating world in general.

I would also like to interview Janet Lynn (who I also discovered on YouTube). I would like to know if she still skates or if she has ever considered coaching. I also would like to know if she has the complete video of her 1973 Worlds free skate. Floskate has put together the full skate from various clips but I would still like to see the whole thing as filmed. To say it is the best Janet ever skated is saying a lot, but I think it is.

I would also like to interview Michelle Kwan to ask her about her decision not to use Lori Nichol after 2001-02. That, to me, is even more puzzling than her decision to leave Frank as her coach.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
THis is tricky. I would really like to interview the Jelineks - I can't imagine what it would have been like, fleeing your country, being stripped of your citizenship in order to compete in the country of your birth, then having the championship cancelled and then winning gold in your birth city the next year while skating as citizens of another country, and from the bits I have seen of their skating, they could really capture one.

mrrice

Record Breaker
After my interview with Maria, I would head straight to Plushy's arena. I'd tell him that the Hi-5 he gave me in 2001 is still one the best moments I've had in skating. I'd ask him about Sasha and then we'd discuss his long, glorious career.

I'd also interview Patrick Chan. I'd love to hear how he's doing these days and let him know how handsome I think he is....:love:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Michelle was very sick at that Worlds (a fact rarely mentioned) but speaking of Michelle, an interview with Michelle and Tara together along with Yuna and Mao, and Medvedeva and Zagitova. I guess that’s more than one, but all 6 of these girls together to put to rest the rumors.

Oh, and the lovely Liza Tuktamysheva as the interviewer. We’d need her sass

Wow, can you imagine these 7 women champions together! Three sets of rivals with the Empress asking the real questions. This would be a documentary and if only all told the truth! What a wild ride!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I would love to interview Kurt Browning. I think the energy in the room would be awesome. I want to know how he goes about choreographing a program, what it's like to be married to a prima ballerina, and are his c hildren interested in skating at all.

I’m not sure but I think perhaps they are separated or divorced. Other forums and no ring and interviews with neither talking of the other. Sonja is still a prima in her early 40s. She is amazing! As is Kurt who has had the best career. Those feet!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m not sure but I think perhaps they are separated or divorced. Other forums and no ring and interviews with neither talking of the other. Sonja is still a prima in her early 40s. She is amazing! As is Kurt who has had the best career. Those feet!

Unless Kurt or Sonia say so publicly, it should not be discussed here.

Also, Sonia is closer to 50, at 47.