Sasha to headline Stars on Ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha to headline Stars on Ice

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think SOI is a better fit for her than COI. I think she'll fit in nicely with the cast.

This is her future, IMO. This and skating in the Disson shows...maybe she'll even get her own show (like Sarah H. did). Competing just wasn't for her.

Lanie

On the Ice
I think SOI is a better fit for her than COI. I think she'll fit in nicely with the cast.

This is her future, IMO. This and skating in the Disson shows...maybe she'll even get her own show (like Sarah H. did). Competing just wasn't for her.

ITA. Sasha is a beautiful beautiful show skater and it'll be fun to see her try different things on SOI. At least she's still skating, and she'll be kept busy! I'm happy for her.

Teenes

On the Ice
Sarah did do a full tour, was the headliner, was integrated into group numbers, but she did only do the one tour.

Sadly, SOI isn't a 60+ city tour anymore, I think it's 40 cities this year. Which is still long, but it's only 2/3 the length it used to be!

Canadian Stars on Ice is different - they had Kurt Browning on as a guest star while he was still an eligible as well. It's shorter and at the end of the season, so the eligibles can afford to tour with it and then go back to their regular training, etc.

I do think the history of the tour isn't a good basis for making predictions about whether Sasha will go back to competitive skating, though. It used to be more difficult for skaters (US ones in particular) to get sanctions to do SOI, and the line between eligible and pro has never been quite so blurred in the history of the tour. Plus, skaters didn't used to take whole seasons off and then come back and compete as seems to be becoming common these days...whether Sasha returns to competitive skating or not, I don't know, but I'm not sure what past skaters have done means anything in this case.

I'm glad to see Sasha signed on with SOI. They've needed a US headliner and Sasha is quite a well-known skater (I judge this based on my non-skating friends and who they've heard of ;)). She's also a great performer and I think she'd fit in really well. I'm curious to see how the show looks and feels next year, minus Jamie and David, plus Sasha, and with whatever other changes end up happening.

Last edited:
ITA. Sasha is a beautiful beautiful show skater and it'll be fun to see her try different things on SOI. At least she's still skating, and she'll be kept busy! I'm happy for her.
SOI is not like COI where one does their own thing except for the opening and closing numbers.

SOI has special choreography through out the show which includes all the Stars (on Ice), It requires teamwork. My question, again, is Will Sasha be able to conform with group choreography?

(I remember Tara who did try to make herself look sexy, but the bubble gum got in the way. But she did try!)

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Sarah's addition was pretty much considered, how do we say this, a "mistake" by more than one of the SOI cast members. She showed up way overweight, continued to gain weight on the tour, and was rather lumbering, awkward, and relegated to the lower altitudes with tortured jumps.
On the other hand, Cohen will look great, she'll most likely move great, and being so incredibly flexible and ambitious, I'd imagine she'll do just fine in the group numbers and be a needed shot in the arm for the tour.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
over weight for skating, perhaps. but her body type is normal (as well as Emily's) while the others are stick thin. But you probably HAVE to be stick thin here.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Nah, I'd actually say she was overweight - by even regular standards. Not grossly so, but definitely needed to drop 15-20 pounds which is way too much for an Olympic champion two years after their big victory.

And you're right that compared to most skaters - who are unbelievably thin with almost no body fat whatsoever - anyone who is larger is going to look huge.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Really?

She looked big on the ice but I assumed it was just because everyone else was thin as ****. Plus, there's always the thing about the camera adding 10 lbs, yada yada.

I dunno, maybe I'm just sick and tired of everyone being pressured to be stick figures.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sasha was a guest skater in SOI last season, and she was very impressive and well received (we saw her in Wilkes-Barre, PA). I think she'll do just fine in SOI as a full time cast member. :yes: :agree:

Sarah's addition was pretty much considered, how do we say this, a "mistake" by more than one of the SOI cast members...
IIRC Sarah herself said that some of the cast members were pretty mean to her. She mostly hung out with the unfailingly courteous and charming Russian contingent -- Alexei and Elena and Anton.

Anyway, if the skinnies pick on her, she can always whip out that OGM and say (to parphrase Scott Hamilton), "Fat this!" ;)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a treat for those of you who get to see SOI. :clap: :clap:

Dee

Not unusual for threads to change from one skater to another. Sasha to Sarah.

Anyway, I feel my question is unanswerable unless someone will give a serious opinion of whether or not SASHA has the temperment to work with her colleagues and put up with the toil of production numbers as a team member of the group?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sasha will be fine. She likes to perform, and now that they have a lady headliner it will revolve a bit more around her as far as choreography goes I'm sure... so it will highlight her strengths...

^ I would go even farther than that. If Sasha really wants to commit to the show, she can be the new Diva. SOI hasn't had that one mega-star that brings in the money since Scott Hamilton and Kristi Yamaguchi.

Sasha will be fine. She likes to perform, and now that they have a lady headliner it will revolve a bit more around her as far as choreography goes I'm sure... so it will highlight her strengths...
But will it take away from the Show as a whole? If you ever worked in a show where you worked with groups, you know the group should work as ONE.
You will remember in 'Chorus Line', the Director had problems with the former 'star' working in the corps.

We know Sasha is a STAR, but I'm just waiting to see if Sasha can work with her colleagues in the group numbers where all the other stars work as a team, and she will just have to fit in.
Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
IIRC Sarah herself said that some of the cast members were pretty mean to her. She mostly hung out with the unfailingly courteous and charming Russian contingent -- Alexei and Elena and Anton.

Anyway, if the skinnies pick on her, she can always whip out that OGM and say (to parphrase Scott Hamilton), "Fat this!" ;)

Well the hughes girls don't seem the most east to get on with... they don't have that easy temperment to hang out with like Michelle and sasha.

Lada

Spectator
Joesitz, I am curious also. I don't believe that SOI needs Sasha as a 'shot in the arm' to improve the tour. One person can't do that anyway or it isn't much of a tour. Giving her the star treatment, in my opinion, is almost an insult to the other skaters who are the backbone of this show. She should not be any more or less than a member of the group, period, almost like a repertoire company. But it will also be interesting to see if and how the choreography or the theme revolves around her. (Is it a one-year contract?)

With Sasha on board as a regular (she did not appear as a guest in the cities where I saw SOI) what happens to the build-up given to Jennifer Robinson on the last two tours? And folks like Yuka and Katia are great enough headliners for the ladies, even though Katia splits the tour. With Angela Nikodinov on board last year we had more than enough of the ladies to make this ice interesting.

I personally am happy to see an ice dance couple added to the roster rather than another singles skater, regardless of his/her rep.

I am glad that the Canadians (D&L - it is them, right?) will do the tour. I really enjoy watching them skate and the connection they have is magical.

Last edited: