Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliana

On the Ice
Tell us more about Evgeni success as a “coach “ .. I'm worried about how a coach with no experience got his hands on two national team superstars?
Who accepted it and why? Who's to blame if something goes wrong?

Do not worry! The girls, the parents and the skating federation that will sign the transfer trust him. Why make a mistake? I think it will be fine.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Oh brother. lopsilceci was not calling Kostornaia a two-faced liar. The opposite! That user was responding to my post to him or her about not blindly believing everything you hear, especially if it’s in front of cameras. It was a sarcastic response to my post. I didn’t respond as I never acknowledge such posts. I can’t believe I even have to say this. Come on now yall. Do better!

Scott512

Record Breaker
No. Rozanov was the tech coach and he received little spotlight for that as you said he was the 3rd but not in the working. That was the reason why he left the team. The pupils loved and admired him.
EG made a big mistake not giving Rozanov more money and great resposibility in the team. Why? Look what his departure has led to? TT is shattered and Veronika may be the biggest loss. Time will tell. But losing Sasha and Aliona back to back is crushing.

Tell us more about Evgeni success as a “coach “ .. I'm worried about how a coach with no experience got his hands on two national team superstars?
Who accepted it and why? Who's to blame if something goes wrong?
Youre back! The original Easy E is back. ;) If something goes wrong Plushy wont be blamed. But with talent like Sasha Alena and Veronika not much can go wrong other than injuries and puberty.

Maybe I exaggerated in my choice of words. I apologize about that.

However, to me, lying means not telling the truth, no matter the circumstances or reasons. Some lies are worse than others and we all do it for different reasons. I don't believe Aliona lied.

I do hope she shares with us a little about her side of the situation, then we won't be speculating so much.
Thanks for clarifying. I doubt we will hear much from Alena. But I wish she would as she can be a chatterbox.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I like Alena so much and I hope it's going to be a good move for her. I wished she went to Orser, but I'll wait to see Plushy's coaching skills before judging. I just want to see her skating for many years, hopefully at the top, if not at least happy (and I didn't see skaters happy with Eteri unless winning).

p.s. I really hope Alena and Sasha get on well.

readernick

Medalist
Plushenko really threw Alena under the bus with those choreography comments.

It wasn't the wisest comment. I think most Russian coaches need some media and politeness training.

However, it isn't a big deal if Aliona said she liked her program, but really didn't. As a student trying to please your coach, you aren't going to tell the media the truth if you hate certain music or a certain program. You will say the polite, "correct" thing. It says more about the power dynamics between coach and student than it does about Aliona's character.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
It wasn't the wisest comment. I think most Russian coaches need some media and politeness training.

However, it isn't a big deal if Aliona said she liked her program, but really didn't. As a student trying to please your coach, you aren't going to tell the media the truth if you hate certain music or a certain program. You will say the polite, "correct" thing. It says more about the power dynamics between coach and student than it does about Aliona's character.
I dont think there's anything wrong with lying in an interview to not hurt feelings. Nor do I think Alena was wrong to tell Plushenko that she didn't like her programs. I just find it rude that he shared her comments like that. I don't think when she told him, she expected him to share it with world. I dunno this isnt against Alena or anything but it was inappropriate for him to share it.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

What did he say? i've only read that he thinks what Daniil showed on Instagram is horrible and Alena herself also told him she doesn't like the new programs so they'll change it.

I mean, the style of the free is certainly debatable.

With the covid situation it's a bit hard but i'd really like to see Alena working with Marina Zueva for a more lyrical elegant program. She can match the japanese skaters on that, so i don't understand why sticking with the angular choreography. It worked last year as it was her debut, now i want to see an artistic development.

lpt

On the Ice
What did he say? i've only read that he thinks what Daniil showed on Instagram is horrible and Alena herself also told him she doesn't like the new programs so they'll change it.
Kosrornaia just a few days ago told that she likes her new programs very much -https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...tornaia-exclusive-beijing-tutberidze-surgeon/
So Pluschenko basically alleges she was lying.
With the covid situation it's a bit hard but i'd really like to see Alena working with Marina Zueva for a more lyrical elegant program.
Pluschenko said her programs will be staged by him and Rozanov. I'm sure you will enjoy it!
She can match the japanese skaters
The thing is the japanese skaters never could match her.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kosrornaia just a few days ago told that she likes her new programs very much -https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...tornaia-exclusive-beijing-tutberidze-surgeon/
So Pluschenko alleges she was lying.

Pluschenko said her programs will be staged by him and Rozanov. IEnjoy!

Her basis are really good, the problem is the construction of these choreographies she got so far, which is very similar to what the other girls from the same group got: in general it's very quantity over quality, get as many turns as possible, do as many transitions as possible, not always matched with the music.

I often feel like in many of Daniil programs only 1 out of 5 moves is actually matched with the music. You may say that's tastes, i think often the cluttered choreography compromises flow. I also think at this point he may need some stroking lesson, cause all their girls often skate from the same leg the whole time, i don't know if that comes from him or the other guy Alexey Zheleznyakov.

It's a shame cause clearly the skills are there (with Kostornaya at least), it's just again you have the best talents in the world, they need something a bit more sophisticated.

readernick

Medalist
So Pluschenko basically alleges she was lying.

Saying the "correct" thing to the media is not lying. It is dealing with the power dynamic in a coaching/ student relationship which makes honesty impossible for some young skaters.

I think that Satoko Miyahara certain can match/exceed Aliona in terms of beautiful skating. She has attention to detail, emotional mastery and depth of edge that is really unmatched in women's figure skating at the moment since the retirement/break from skating of Carolina. (although she certainly can not match Aliona technically) Rika is also not far behind. I would love to see Aliona work with different choreographers but I imagine that COVID will limit her choices.

Finley

Record Breaker
EG made a big mistake not giving Rozanov more money and great resposibility in the team. Why? Look what his departure has led to? TT is shattered and Veronika may be the biggest loss. Time will tell. But losing Sasha and Aliona back to back is crushing.

Youre back! The original Easy E is back. ;) If something goes wrong Plushy wont be blamed. But with talent like Sasha Alena and Veronika not much can go wrong other than injuries and puberty.

Thanks for clarifying. I doubt we will hear much from Alena. But I wish she would as she can be a chatterbox.

That's like saying not much can go wrong other than everything. :palmf:

After all this talk if Plushy doesn't deliver he will be blamed. A lot. By a lot of people. He will however deflect that blame. I have thoughts on who will catch the worst of it.

Supernovaimplosion said:

By blabbing off to the press Plushenko placed his new student in an unfavorable light.

What is wrong with these prima donnas that they can't just keep their foolish mouths shut. (This goes for both Plushenko and Tutberidze.)

Amei

Record Breaker
Her basis are really good, the problem is the construction of these choreographies she got so far, which is very similar to what the other girls from the same group got: in general it's very quantity over quality, get as many turns as possible, do as many transitions as possible, not always matched with the music.

I often feel like in many of Daniil programs only 1 out of 5 moves is actually matched with the music. You may say that's tastes, i think often the cluttered choreography compromises flow. I also think at this point he may need some stroking lesson, cause all their girls often skate from the same leg the whole time, i don't know if that comes from him or the other guy Alexey Zheleznyakov.

It's a shame cause clearly the skills are there (with Kostornaya at least), it's just again you have the best talents in the world, they need something a bit more sophisticated.

I agree with you, however Danill's job and realistically what the job is for any coach/choreographer for a competitive skater is to give them the tools to be able to win and Danill and Eteri have delivered that overwhelmingly to their skaters, Daniil's choreography last year contributed to winning gold at every GP event, swept the podium at the GPF, Europeans, and Russian Nationals. That doesn't even list the Junior skaters at Sambo he choreographed. Are those programs the most aesthetically pleasing to everyone, no, but competition programs are put together to do a different job. And similar to how Eteri mentioned about she won't change her training methods, until their programs start to lose them points and stop winning they are going to continue to put together programs the way that has delivered them victories.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Oh brother. lopsilceci was not calling Kostornaia a two-faced liar. The opposite! That user was responding to my post to him or her about not blindly believing everything you hear, especially if it’s in front of cameras. It was a sarcastic response to my post. I didn’t respond as I never acknowledge such posts. I can’t believe I even have to say this. Come on now yall. Do better!

Yes, thank you for clarifying that :pray:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I like Alena so much and I hope it's going to be a good move for her. I wished she went to Orser, but I'll wait to see Plushy's coaching skills before judging. I just want to see her skating for many years, hopefully at the top, if not at least happy (and I didn't see skaters happy with Eteri unless winning).

p.s. I really hope Alena and Sasha get on well.
Yes aliona and Sasha get along well just like Zhenya and Alina. ;)

They absolutely need training in politeness and decency. But don't count on the Russian Federation to reign in their coaches.
That's like saying not much can go wrong other than everything. :palmf:

After all this talk if Plushy doesn't deliver he will be blamed. A lot. By a lot of people. He will however deflect that blame. I have thoughts on who will catch the worst of it.
Young Sergei would catch the worst of it.
By blabbing off to the press Plushenko placed his new student in an unfavorable light.

What is wrong with these prima donnas that they can't just keep their foolish mouths shut. (This goes for both Plushenko and Tutberidze.)

Plushenko is a blabbermouth. There was no reason for him to divulge such a conversation. Just like there was no reason for EG to divulge that conversation she had with Zhenyz about keeping Alina in juniors one more season.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I agree with you, however Danill's job and realistically what the job is for any coach/choreographer for a competitive skater is to give them the tools to be able to win and Danill and Eteri have delivered that overwhelmingly to their skaters, Daniil's choreography last year contributed to winning gold at every GP event, swept the podium at the GPF, Europeans, and Russian Nationals. That doesn't even list the Junior skaters at Sambo he choreographed. Are those programs the most aesthetically pleasing to everyone, no, but competition programs are put together to do a different job. And similar to how Eteri mentioned about she won't change her training methods, until their programs start to lose them points and stop winning they are going to continue to put together programs the way that has delivered them victories.

But winning with beautiful, musical and choreographically meaningful programs is not a foreign concept. So why is it not a possibility for this particular choreographer? The medals are being awarded for programs with vacuous copy-and paste choreography. This is not something to be commended. The girls that must skate to this are the ones worthy of admiration because they (well, only a select few really) manage to transform cheap beer into expensive wine. The girls that don’t have this ability win because they skate clean with high base value layouts. That’s why the programs win.

The true test of this, of course, will be what happens in the season. We’ll see if Plushenko and co. can do it better.

...I don’t think he’ll do better. But he certainly can’t do worse.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I find the Plushenko's comment that Alena didn't like her programs was strange and out of character for her. It was just last season when Alena herself said in an interview that of course she gets to pick her programs and has a say in it, she's the one skating it not her coaches. If she didn't like her programs, I would think that she would've spoken to her coaches. And after her first season with the team (when she had her lyrical Stella's Theme choreographed by Daniil), she gave an interview saying she doesn't like slow lyrical pieces and prefers something faster and more edgy. It was also around that time they changed her FS from the lyrical piece to Twilight. She also said publicly that she doesn't like being seen in the image of an angel, referencing her SP.

It would be strange for her to be "lying publicly" all those times to explain all those different music choices, no? It would be more likely that Plushenko was lying or the publisher/interviewer.

colormyworld240

Medalist
But winning with beautiful, musical and choreographically meaningful programs is not a foreign concept. So why is it not a possibility for this particular choreographer? The medals are being awarded for programs with vacuous copy-and paste choreography. This is not something to be commended. The girls that must skate to this are the ones worthy of admiration because they (well, only a select few really) manage to transform cheap beer into expensive wine. The girls that don’t have this ability win because they skate clean with high base value layouts. That’s why the programs win.

The true test of this, of course, will be what happens in the season. We’ll see if Plushenko and co. can do it better.

...I don’t think he’ll do better. But he certainly can’t do worse.

Are you sure you're not talking about a select few programs? Because all choreographers have put together poor programs. There have been many programs from him that I dislike as well, with POTO being the worst. But can you seriously say that Dream Catcher, Stella's Theme, Adios Nonino, the Angel, Black Swan, A Comme Amour, Perfume, Firebird, and Me Voy are all copy-and-paste choreography with no relation to the music? Imo all those programs were well done and different, and Me Voy was the best choreography last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.