2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

Ziotic

Medalist
It's in Ottawa, yes? As I've said before, I think they should move it to Toronto or Montreal, seeing as that's where the majority of their skaters train/live. But it's probably too late now
Ottawa is correct! Which is about half way between the two, closer to Montreal so not so bad in terms of location. It’s just people who train on the west coast who will have significant travel.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
GPF is cancelled, or rather, at least delayed.
I just read it. Not unexpected, as Covid-19 is flaring up again all over the World. Travel restrictions tightening up once again, and they hadn't been liberalised fully anyhow. Furthermore, it was unclear how the regionally organised GPs would lead to the Final in any case.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Well, that particular issue hasn’t been solved with postponing it... I for one am still curious how they ever thought there could be a fair way to qualify skaters to the Final this year.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Me too.
Europeans will likely be cancelled, or held with only limited amount of Shengen area participants.
Worlds def cancelled.
I also excpect that Europeans may have a chance of taking place at least without spectators since many skaters can travel by car to the competition, which lowers some of the risks travelling by plane has.
I hope the ISU comes up with a concept for countries to qualify spots for the Olympics in the case that Worlds will be cancelled, being stuck with the spots from last season would be unfair. So far their last minute decisions haven't given me much hope that they are already thinking about back up plans though.

Orchidea

On the Ice
Me too.
Europeans will likely be cancelled, or held with only limited amount of Shengen area participants.
Worlds def cancelled.
you are strange skating fan if you wish and hope that important competition to be cancel :) Everything is possible...if you didnt notice then in Nebelhorn there were also athletes from Ukraine...they are not in Schengen area but the asked special permisson and voilaa. Russian tennis player are in French Open and in every other important sport competiton.
So I dont really see problem to held European or World Championships. World cant stop because of Covid...of course you have to responsible!!!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
you are strange skating fan if you wish and hope that important competition to be cancel :) Everything is possible...if you didnt notice then in Nebelhorn there were also athletes from Ukraine...they are not in Schengen area but the asked special permisson and voilaa. Russian tennis player are in French Open and in every other important sport competiton.
So I dont really see problem to held European or World Championships. World cant stop because of Covid...of course you have to responsible!!!
I didn’t write anything about «wishing and hoping»...
But on the second thought I actually do wish and hope for that. Better be safe than sorry, and not get infected, like many tennis and football players did this year, like that Djokovich fiasco tour. Few figure skaters got already infected with corona too, and I would never wish that upon anyone.

Frankly many athletes around the world complained about being forced to compete in unsafe environments, which do poorly to minimize the risk of COVID. Which I wish didn’t have to happen to any of them. They have years of life ahead of them, and lung tissue scarring can ruin their overall quality of life and careers once and for all.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
World cant stop because of Covid...of course you have to responsible!!!
ISU will do whatever is permitted by law. I'm sure they are trying hard to keep things going, just like Nebelhorn - which I applaud them for. Skating fans can't really decide instead of ISU, so no need to keep arguing. It's clear the opinions are divided and people are living in fear at the moment. In the meantime we can enjoy the Russian events, which personally I'm thankful for.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

readernick

Medalist
Cup of China is going to be a very short event. There are very few competitors in all disciplines. The other GPs look interesting, and seem to have competitive fields in most disciplines! Very excited for these events, and I hope they are handled responsibly. South Korean skaters (with the exception of Jun who will appear in Skate Canada) don't appear to be able to attend any GP this year. I was looking forward to Haein's senior debut.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Cup of China is going to be a very short event. There are very few competitors in all disciplines. The other GPs look interesting, and seem to have competitive fields in most disciplines! Very excited for these events, and I hope they are handled responsibly. South Korean skaters (with the exception of Jun who will appear in Skate Canada) don't appear to be able to attend any GP this year. I was looking forward to Haein's senior debut.
Probably due to Japanese travel restrictions. I had to laugh at the ladies event at cup of china. And skate Canada. Will this be Satoko's first win?