2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

Roo87

Medalist
Gogo and Keegan at Skate America? so excited.

Other Highlights:

-Skate Canada: I guess P/C are planing on traveling to France? and Americans to USA? Strange decision on their part, but would be good for P/P. The mens is interesting, if Jason is not perfect he could be beaten by Nam or Roman with their quads. Roman has all his jumps back according to his Romsky videos. Should be an easy win for Satako and KMT/MM.

-Skate America: Haven't herd anything on Gogo, so interested to see what's up with him. Obvious win for Nathan, but the rest of the podium is up for grabs. I guess this will be the battle between Bell and Tennell, glad to see Gracie there! Pairs will be really exciting here as well, hoping T/M have healed whatever injuries led to last years poor season. I'm confused by the ice dance assignments, are athletes allowed special exemptions for traveling? could they say it's essential work? lol

-Russia - basically nationals aka bloodbath

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Gogo and Keegan at Skate America? so excited.

Other Highlights:

-Skate Canada: I guess P/C are planing on traveling to France? and Americans to USA? Strange decision on their part, but would be good for P/P. The mens is interesting, if Jason is not perfect he could be beaten by Nam or Roman with their quads. Roman has all his jumps back according to his Romsky videos. Should be an easy win for Satako and KMT/MM.

-Skate America: Haven't herd anything on Gogo, so interested to see what's up with him. Obvious win for Nathan, but the rest of the podium is up for grabs. I guess this will be the battle between Bell and Tennell, glad to see Gracie there! Pairs will be really exciting here as well, hoping T/M have healed whatever injuries led to last years poor season. I'm confused by the ice dance assignments, are athletes allowed special exemptions for traveling? could they say it's essential work? lol

-Russia - basically nationals aka bloodbath
Skate Canada probably couldn't FIT all the teams who train at montreal lol

Ziotic

Medalist
Once the ice dance teams leave Canada they won’t be able to return.
The border to Canada is closed for non essential travel until Oct 31 for people who aren’t citizens.
I also don’t think it will reopen anytime soon, cases are getting worse and Canada is now into second wave.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
The border to Canada is closed for non essential travel until Oct 31 for people who aren’t citizens.
I also don’t think it will reopen anytime soon, cases are getting worse and Canada is now into second wave.
Some of them training at montreal might be permanent residents. Or they're really hedging their bets

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Americans can get back in (Jason, Kaitlin & Jean-Luc already did).

Less sure about the Europeans, but IAM would have looked into this before agreeing to send them, so presumably it’s dealt with.

Roo87

Medalist
Most of Canada is in the second wave, it's business as usual in the Atlantic Bubble.

haribobo

On the Ice
Could be a good showdown for the USA TBA pairs spot(s) between Chan/Howe, Finster/Nagy, and McBeath/Bartholomay at the ISP this coming Tuesday/Weds/whenever they post it. Nice to see all the US dance teams getting spots.

US men got spots, the ones who are doing well or have done well. Except Andrew Torgashev (perhaps injured, hasn't competed since Peggy Fleming Trophy where he looked great), and Ryan Dunk, but spots at SA are maxed out.

For Canada, only dance spots are full.

Apparently Deanna Stellato is still awaiting USFS release? Any updates?

4 men spots unused- bummer for Eric Liu, Alexander Lawrence, and others.

5 ladies spots unused- bummer for Long, Bulawka, Mallet, Orzel, Cotop. I assume Gabby would have a spot if she wanted one?

So for SA, Gracie and Pooja are the 2 off-list skaters with no sb score. Kate, Isabelle, Izzo, Audrey all got in top 75 sb. No idea how Ting is doing. I'd imagine 1st alternate would be her (in top 75) or if another off list skater is allowed, Finley Hawk, Paige Rydberg, or Sierra Venetta.

Who are likely to be the ladies TBA spots for Rostelecom? Frolova, Usacheva, Khromykh, and Valieva are too young. Shulskaya maybe too young also? Not sure of the status of Gubanova, Tarakanova, Tsibinova, or Sinitsyna. We should see Konstantinova at Russia Cup stage 2. Talalykina did pretty well to score 118 at her Russia Cup event.

For men, Kovalev scored 144 in his FS at Russia Cup, so far I think he should be the leader for that if the spot goes to a Russian.

heartyxo

On the Ice
It's still questionable whether C/B will be ready to compete in 3 weeks time, considering it's all but officially confirmed that they aren't doing the 2nd ISP Points Challenge. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they withdrew.

I guess there's a possibility that the US teams would stay in the States until nationals, but 2-3 months of online coaching is a long time. I guess they may have to if they can't get back to Canada. I'm guessing they have a plan though.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Less sure about the Europeans, but IAM would have looked into this before agreeing to send them, so presumably it’s dealt with.
I hope you're right. They have to convince not only the border guards to let them in, but the airline to let them board the plane. The airlines are more variable in interpreting the rules. I do hope they have paperwork they can wave around that helps them get in.

General note: The rules haven't changed much for the Canada/US border, they just keep getting extended for a month. The only changes have been a slight loosening for family members.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Just taking a look at Ladies... Koreans not getting anything is a shame. It looks like Kihira is staying in Switzerland. The sole remaining spot in JPN field is making me sad, both Rin Nitaya and Rika Hongo deserve it. But... Mai!! :giggle: Glad to see Pooja back in the game. Surprised not to see Isadora Williams, I thought she was training in the US but I may misremember. I am curious about Gracie. Chinese field... just sad. I hope Loena gets the TBD France spot.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Jason had quite an ordeal getting back in (rejected at the first crossing at the Soo and then drove to Buffalo, 500 miles away with additional documents). And then the quarantine.

if I’m Jason, I’m not leaving until Nats. :biggrin: And competing with all my Canadian friends (and Jun?:clap:) at Skate Canada. And I wouldnt leave if I were any other American skater either. ;)

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Evgenia’s leg injury has healed, but Vladimir caught Covid upon their return to Russia to do the first two Russian Cup events. He is clear as of today, but Trankov also announces today that they are staying in Russia now, skipping the GP, and focusing on doing RC events 4 and 5 to get to nationals.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I wouldn't know how the results of this year's grand prix can be possibly used as a reference to the international ranking, or qualification to Euros, Worlds etc., but heck we should be happy that they didn't cancel the whole thing and we will get to see our favourite skaters at least once this autumn.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I wouldn't know how the results of this year's grand prix can be possibly used as a reference to the international ranking, or qualification to Euros, Worlds etc., but heck we should be happy that they didn't cancel the whole thing and we will get to see our favourite skaters at least once this autumn.
I'm pretty sure they said no international points from it

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia’s leg injury has healed, but Vladimir caught Covid upon their return to Russia to do the first two Russian Cup events. He is clear as of today, but Trankov also announces today that they are staying in Russia now, skipping the GP, and focusing on doing RC events 4 and 5 to get to nationals.
It would be pretty certain, then, that Tarasova/Morozov will get the last TBD spot for Rostelecom? thanks for putting Trankov's announcement in this thread.

ETA: Count me as another who's so-o-o-o happy to be able to see new skating, as often as possible and to watch their progress over the season. Even if the events seem like previews of the nationals (with the exception of a few skaters) ... I think it'll be interesting to see how that pans out, each skater's progress over the season, who does well early on, how that switches up. This year can change our perspectives if we're open to that.

Last edited: