2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

Artemisa

Final Flight
I'm lost ... If France doesn't impose quarantine ... why not more strangers skaters and they accept Khira
The country who lost the most is russia ... so please don't kill me if I think it's more politics than covid

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
It would be pretty certain, then, that Tarasova/Morozov will get the last TBD spot for Rostelecom? thanks for putting Trankov's announcement in this thread.
I would imagine if they want it, it’s theirs. That said, I got the impression they have decided to do no gp events. I think Rostelecom and RC events 4 and 5 would all be on consecutive weeks.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It should be calling nationals and politics
It could be called doing the best we can to let skaters compete and fans benefit. If you read the protocols for what they considered in who is selected and in what order, they are trying to be fair. Of course, I don't automatically kick into the mode of looking for the politics of it. Thank goodness.

kirauza343

On the Ice
I'm lost ... If France doesn't impose quarantine ... why not more strangers skaters and they accept Khira
The country who lost the most is russia ... so please don't kill me if I think it's more politics than covid
Rika’s been training in Switzerland for a while now, hence why she’s at IDF. Others like Jason Brown and Satoko (both in Canada) and Shoma Uno (also at IDF) are in the same boat.

Everyone’s split up by either where they live or where they train to limit the amount of traveling during the pandemic. Since the Russian ladies all live and train in Russia they don’t have any options. If Evgenia had stayed in Canada she could’ve been assigned Skate Canada, but alas.

Artemisa

Final Flight
It could be called doing the best we can to let skaters compete and fans benefit. If you read the protocols for what they considered in who is selected and in what order, they are trying to be fair. Of course, I don't automatically kick into the mode of looking for the politics of it. Thank goodness.
Sorry but this is just funny ... because a skater don't go out when he is training .. and Rika is trainning in France .. but the korean skaters can't participate ...
And people can organize a tour the France (because in cycling they don't train together .. they train in there home country.. ) .. but in skaters everything is like a snowball and a skater and a coach can't travel to anywhere to skate ..

Artemisa

Final Flight
Rika’s been training in Switzerland for a while now, hence why she’s at IDF. Others like Jason Brown and Satoko (both in Canada) and Shoma Uno (also at IDF) are in the same boat.

Everyone’s split up by either where they live or where they train to limit the amount of traveling during the pandemic. Since the Russian ladies all live and train in Russia they don’t have any options. If Evgenia had stayed in Canada she could’ve been assigned Skate Canada, but alas.
Sorry but Switzerland isn't France! It's another country !

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Welcome to Goldenskate, post long and post often!

I agree with your points; the world now is not as we want it to be, and as it is, travel between certain countries makes it impossible to arrange the GP other than as it has been. The simplest explanation is often the best. :)

I am just so happy we will hopefully see some skating!:pray:

icetug

Medalist
Sorry but Switzerland isn't France! It's another country !
From the ISU document:
The participation in each Grand Prix event is limited to:
i) Competitors and Officials of the host country/Organizing Grand Prix Member and
ii) Competitors regularly training in the respective host country and
iii) Competitors from other ISU Members who will be assigned to a Grand Prix event in the respective geographical area, always subject to the applicable travel, entry and sanitary restrictions of the concerned countries.

Still don't understand why Korean skaters were ignored, with Junhwan exception, which in fact doesn't put him in any better situation as he stays in Korea. The same for Katia Kurakova who stays in Poland and is not going to TCC. Not to mention Kaliszek/Spodyriev who haven't got any assignment at all. Why Polish skaters haven't been assigned to IdF and Korean to CoC?

Last edited:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I’m so excited for the comebacks of Gracie and Mai!! Also seeing Kana and Daisuke is going to be exciting! It’s weird not seeing Yuzu there though (I know he withdrew but still... it’s odd)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I don't understand all the disappointed reactions in this thread. Like...what were you expecting? It's COVID times and different countries all have different restrictions (which probably has something to do with why the Korean women aren't going anywhere? I'd be curious if someone familiar with Korea, Japan, or China's restrictions could chime in).

No one's going to kill you. But it's COVID.

Sorry but this is just funny ... because a skater don't go out when he is training .. and Rika is trainning in France .. but the korean skaters can't participate ...
And people can organize a tour the France (because in cycling they don't train together .. they train in there home country.. ) .. but in skaters everything is like a snowball and a skater and a coach can't travel to anywhere to skate ..
I know for things like professional basketball in the US, they've figured out quarantine and "bubble" situations that allowed the season to happen, and I bet it's similar for Tour de France. I'm hopeful ISU could figure out something similar for Worlds...

kirauza343

On the Ice
I don't understand all the disappointed reactions in this thread. Like...what were you expecting? It's COVID times and different countries all have different restrictions (which probably has something to do with why the Korean women aren't going anywhere? I'd be curious if someone familiar with Korea, Japan, or China's restrictions could chime in).
Same, the assignments are about what I was expecting (the biggest question I had was whether they’d send Rika back to Japan for NHK or have her do IDF since she’s been in Switzerland for a while now). The most surprising part is no Korean ladies and the fact that they want all the Ice Dance teams training in Canada to go home. People have been expecting Rostelecom to end up as a bloodbath (because lbr that’s where the disappointment is coming from) since they announced how they were going determine assignments. Yes it’s going to be difficult for the Russian ladies but we’re in the middle of a pandemic and the safety of the athletes and spectators should be the biggest priority and that means trying to limit traveling.

sheskates

Rinkside
Personally, I like the idea the Grand Prix being like a mini nationals. The fact there is any type of Grand Prix season is a gift considering the current state of the world.

For the USA, I have always felt there should be more national competitions for the top skaters in the lead up to the national championships, like Russia.