Mikhail Kolyada | Page 231 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

Tutto

Record Breaker
Interview with Mishin:

I think his are probably the hardest to translate from Russian. Like Shakespeare from English :)
I like it that he understands what a rare talent Mika is and the weight of responsibility on him for nurturing this talent and not rushing things. Makes me feel that Mika is in very good hands

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
What a day it was for Team Mishin - 2 golds & a bronze, big congrats!!!
And what a long road to Rostelecom Cup's gold for Mika:

2020 -1st
The LP is mind blowing no question about it but I am equally impressed with his new EX, he is just too gorgeous for words.

This is going to go down as an all-time classic piece, akin to Yagudin’s Winter (I know he won the gold, so there is more clout there, but among true figure skating fans, it will. Besides, not even casual fans could name Yagudin or Winter). Every year, I have to explain to my sister that, yes, figure skating doesn’t only happen during the Olympics, and yes, there are Nationals and Worlds every year. And then I need to explain the Grand Prix system to her—particularly difficult during this COVID year. She’s interested, but the explanations every year, including main competitors, oy! Plus she’s a Nathan fan so I haven’t *quite* been able to convince her of the unique artistry of Kolyada. That’s fine. It would be a boring world if we all just liked Kolyada. Although it might be easier! ;)

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hi all — Needless to say, I’m thrilled with Misha’s transformation and skating this season. I think his free program is a masterpiece! I loved his Carmen too, but this one is in a class of its own. I also don‘t mind his short program, as he’s showing a contrast and versatility. I have to admit that I still hold my breath and get nervous when he performs, LOL, given his prior inconsistencies. But he definitely seems to be turning that around under Mishin and company. (In case anyone is interested in hearing what TSL has been saying, here’s an example https://youtu.be/kQ-J5LTyb0A, starting around 1:07:18.)

slider11

Medalist
I was so impressed with Mikhail's performance at Rostelcom this year. His artistry has improved so much! Maybe it was partly the music choice (bye-bye Elvis) but I found his speed and finessed movements to be marvelous! Welcome back Mikhail!

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
A glimpse in how the program was made.

Thanks for posting! This is fascinating—even if the only word I could understand was da! Jealous of all the Russian speakers on this board! After Tutto’s comment about Averbach saying it was attempt to capture the dance of his life, the Sun, the choreography means so much more to me, how he grasps and cradles that light. I wonder how if they were discussing that at all? It’s like the well-known R. Browning quote: “Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?”

Tutto

Record Breaker
Hi all — Needless to say, I’m thrilled with Misha’s transformation and skating this season. I think his free program is a masterpiece! I loved his Carmen too, but this one is in a class of its own. I also don‘t mind his short program, as he’s showing a contrast and versatility. I have to admit that I still hold my breath and get nervous when he performs, LOL, given his prior inconsistencies. But he definitely seems to be turning that around under Mishin and company. (In case anyone is interested in hearing what TSL has been saying, here’s an example https://youtu.be/kQ-J5LTyb0A, starting around 1:07:18.)
Many thanks I was looking for this link! Looking forward to watching when I get a moment to spare...
Re his inconsistency, I think we all must agree that he is not there yet but he is moving in a right direction, I can see a fight in him that was not there before, yes he makes a mistake but it doesn't crush him. Lets be realistic one can not in 3- 4 months to undo the damage that done to his confidence for the last 3 -4 years ever since the RusFed started pushing for more quads. It takes time and Mishin is exactly right not to rush adding 4lz or 4 sal at this stage. Building up his confidence is more important I believe.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
It seems Misha is sick as well. They say it's not covid but I'm not sure I believe that tbh.

I wish him a speedy recovery.
There is some very contradictory info so far, we have to wait and see... it is very sad but hardly surprising ... I have been watching with horror at the scenes in K&C, the hugs, no masks etc.
The main worry is Mishin he is 79, Mika is too more vulnerable due to his chronic sinusitis.
Prayers & good wishes to both and the rest of the team :pray:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I think both Alexei and Misha are fine considering their daily routine testing. Russians just do not consider such disease that horrible as we do. Still, the elderly should be more careful with it. :pray:

It is good to see that their "2-year Project" is going very smoothly right now. :love2: Looking forward to their great success on the Olympic arena about one year ahead!

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think both Alexei and Misha are fine considering their daily routine testing. Russians just do not consider such disease that horrible as we do. Still, the elderly should be more careful with it. :pray:

It is good to see that their "2-year Project" is going very smoothly right now. :love2: Looking forward to their great success on the Olympic arena about one year ahead!
I wish I could share your optimism. Testing alone is no good it doesn't prevent getting the virus, if anything it makes people complacent they feel if they get tested often they are fine.
Also tests are very unreliable, I know people who tested negative repeatedly only then to be tested for antibodies and have those - surprise, surprise...
So considering how contagious Covid is the chances are the total Mishin team got it alas.
Oh Mika, it all was going so well (as it could be expected in a middle of pandemic) what a tough luck...

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
At least is now and not during Nationals. Although, if Misha didn’t get it he’s still much more prone. But perhaps the recent positives will give them a bit of a scare and will help prevent more of a spread.

vorravorra

Record Breaker

Zhenya Tarasova has pneumonia, Aliev has pneumonia, Shcherbakova has had pneumonia, Medvedeva was very sick, Yablokov took a month to recover properly, I am not sure Shpilevaya has recovered even after all this time. Of the coaches Rozanov has been out for some time with symptoms. What is there to be complacent about?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Zhenya Tarasova has pneumonia, Aliev has pneumonia, Shcherbakova has had pneumonia, Medvedeva was very sick, Yablokov took a month to recover properly, I am not sure Shpilevaya has recovered even after all this time. Of the coaches Rozanov has been out for some time with symptoms. What is there to be complacent about?
I wish they took it a bit more seriously, especially during the first stages of the Russian Cups. After Rostelecom they've been a bit more careful, but kind of too late now.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Who is complacent about what? :rolleye: I don't understand what you are talking about? :shrug: No other country is holding so many FS competitions in a row like Russia under such dangerous circumstances. Most of them are grown-ups, and they should know how to take care of themselves, but they should also think about other people's health by behaving much more responsibly. Holding a post-event banquet or a birthday party at this time is simply a nightmare for a normal person like me. :eek: Russians are far more obstinate than Japanese at this point.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Who is complacent about what? :rolleye: I don't understand what you are talking about? :shrug: No other country is holding so many FS competitions in a row like Russia under such dangerous circumstances. Most of them are grown-ups, and they should know how to take care of themselves, but they should also think about other people's health by behaving much more responsibly. Holding a post-event banquet or a birthday party at this time is simply a nightmare for a normal person like me. :eek: Russians are far more obstinate than Japanese at this point.
Both RusFed and the skaters were being complacent. Maybe not any more in light of the recent events. We don't even know who is going to make it to Nationals at this point, let alone who is going to be in good enough shape.