Why don't figure skaters trash talk? | Golden Skate

Why don't figure skaters trash talk?

LastSacrifice

Rinkside
Obviously I don't mean trash talking after winning; that's just kicking somebody after they're down, and that's just rude.

So recently I've seen the US Nationals, and I loved all the storylines; Bradie Tennell fighting injuries and inconsistency to finally getting the 2nd title, Nathan Chen's back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back win, Knierim and Frazier rookie season win, Hubbell and Donohue making the comeback after losing nationals last year.

But it feels like the NBC broadcast does nothing to help hype these stories up. I don't really find myself cheering for anybody because I loved their underdog story or because they're a rookie with something to prove, or if they're the gatekeeper preventing anyone from getting a trophy.

And the skaters' interview are only "yeah everyone skated really well blah blah blah", "I'm so excited to be here and prove myself zzzzzzz". I'm struggling to see how the broadcast expects anyone to pay attention to this sport if outside of the actual programs, any content they're making is just putting people to sleep. Figure skating should be entertaining to watch, there should be storylines and rivalries, something to make people interested in the sport. Every year the competitors are presented like they're just the ones from the last years, but with a different name. It's weird that figure skating emphasizes uniqueness as a sport but the broadcast fails to present the athletes as more than generic.

Imagine if before Nationals start, Nathan Chen says something like "Jason Brown's looking pretty good, he's definitely gonna finish top 9." That's awesome, right?! If Nathan wins, he gets to look super cocky, yet he backed it up. If he loses and it backfires, sure he might look like an idiot for a while, but I'm willing to bet many people are going to start cheering for him.

So why don't figure skaters trash talk? Most athletes do it, and that's how they build their huge brands and following. They aren't trash talking to bring someone down, or to make someone feel bad, rather, they're saying they have the confidence to win it all; and entertaining the fans in the process.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So why don't figure skaters trash talk? Most athletes do it, and that's how they build their huge brands and following. They aren't trash talking to bring someone down, or to make someone feel bad, rather, they're saying they have the confidence to win it all; and entertaining the fans in the process.
Ooo this is a can of worms...

I'm not sure figure skating fans are the type to enjoy trash talk...in fact I think trash talk is starting to become unpopular in many sports. I know here in Australia quite a few people don't much care for our cricket team because of their tendency to sledge (aka trash talk).

And in tennis who's more popular? Novak Djokovic who goes on about his greatness or the much more modest Roger Federer?

Although I would say your last sentence isn't really trash talk, there's a difference between Nathan saying "I've been training my butt off and have 5 quads planned, I got this thing." and "I'm gonna win this thing because the other guys can't even skate straight."

I'm somewhat aware of the irony of writing this considering my favourite skater...but I didn't think Plushy was that bad, certainly not Australian cricket team terrible :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As a pro/former elite skater, I'll tell you why. Because we're all such a small group when we get to those elite levels and many of us came up the ranks together and became close. We all know the sacrifices we've each had to make to get to the elite level and we're not about to trash talk our friends to the media. The media and so on do it enough themselves, and some try to start crap between the skaters, but we've all pretty much put up a wall to it.

In the earlier days of the sport and even up to about 2010'ish there was trash talk. Weir and Lysacek, anyone? And there were others as well. There used to be a Russia(USSR) vs US/Canada rivalry.

It's just not a good face for the sport and I'm glad it's not done much anymore. The networks and some of the commentators try to push that or start that crap, but it doesn't stand thankfully.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Because we're all such a small group when we get to those elite levels and many of us came up the ranks together and became close.
I think this is a really important point and what differentiates figure skaters from, for example, the Australian men's cricket team, as mentioned by anonymoose_au above (our women's team does not have the same habits or reputation in that area). When you're on a cricket team, you're part of an enormous sporting culture in which the other members of your team are your colleagues, and members of other teams are your rivals. But when you're part of a small and predominantly individual sport like figure skating, it seems to me, other figure skaters are your colleagues, and even rivalry for places at Nationals is subordinate to that because - usually - the overall goal is getting the strongest groups together to go out to the international championships. Even with skaters from different nations, rivalry is mitigated by how often they're likely to be training mates.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the earlier days of the sport and even up to about 2010'ish there was trash talk. Weir and Lysacek, anyone? And there were others as well. There used to be a Russia(USSR) vs US/Canada rivalry.

I was going to mention Wier and Lysacek. I seem to remember some angry comments between those two.

One comment I do remember was in 1994, after the US Nationals, Tonya was answering questions. I don't remember Tonya's comment exactly, but it was something along the lines of her gold medal at the Nationals was great, but not complete until she faced Nancy, and that she'd 'whip her butt'.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
LastSacrifice read my mind because I was just wondering about this a few days ago. Right before Nationals, I watched a snippet of Nathan Chen and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at his modesty. I was longing for him to just drop it and tell it like it is. “My training’s been a bit rough so I’ll think I’ll take it by a small margin; I’m thinking maybe about 40-50 points. Give or take.”

Figure skating is a thin-skinned sport so obviously it won’t go over well, but I know I’ll root for him extra loudly. Trash talk is fun! Especially if you back it up!

I was an elite sprinter (goal was 2004 Olympics) and in an interview I was once asked the percentage of my winning an important race. My famous response, “Sir, 152.50% I’m gonna smoke them gals like a turkey.”

I told no lies.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
LastSacrifice read my mind because I was just wondering about this a few days ago. Right before Nationals, I watched a snippet of Nathan Chen and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at his modesty. I was longing for him to just drop it and tell it like it is. “My training’s been a bit rough so I’ll think I’ll take it by a small margin; I’m thinking maybe about 40-50 points. Give or take.”

Figure skating is a thin-skinned sport so obviously it won’t go over well, but I know I’ll root for him extra loudly. Trash talk is fun! Especially if you back it up!

I was an elite sprinter (goal was 2004 Olympics) and in an interview I was once asked the percentage of my winning an important race. My famous response, “Sir, 152.50% I’m gonna smoke them gals like a turkey.”

I told no lies.
Yeah, sorry but skating is not a thin-skinned sport. And no, trash talk does no good.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
I strongly believe it is and certainly nothing that I have seen so far has changed my mind on that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I scarcely think that the definition of "thin skinned" is whether or not an athlete can trash talk.:laugh: Heck, anyone can do that. Nobody, but nobody trash talks more than my tribe of Philadelphia Eagles fans. Including throwing full beer cans at other fans and snowballs at Santa. That doesn't make us tough, or fun, or anything except a bunch of beery galoots with the attitudes of seventh graders. And that's probably an insult to seventh graders;)

I am loving the maturity and real respect that skaters have for each other. Like these quotes from the US Men's presser:

Jason Brown:
"And so to be able to take more risks and continue to push myself artistically & also technically and - to be honest - relying on Vincent & Nathan because I know how strong they are. I think we’re able to take more risks, knowing that it’s not only up to one of us.

Vincent Zhou:
We can only progress as usual and I think we have an amazing team. The two guys to my left throw it down every time. I don't doubt that we will get three spots for the Olympics

Nathan Chen:
I wouldn't say I'm just judged against myself. The two guys up here are incredible skaters. Any given day, who knows what would happen? I want to focus on what I'm capable of. Even if I'm competing vs Yuzu, I focus on my own thing rather than things I can't control

(Jackie Wong and Edges of Glory reporting on the Presser)

I find those quotes far more real, and fun, and engaging than any fake combativeness.:) In fact, I find the fake combativeness and tiring "let's all insult each other and let's be braggarts" in other sports to be far more indicative of thin skin🤷‍♀️ And it's only a small subset of those athletes who act like that anyway. They all know better:D

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I strongly believe it is and certainly nothing that I have seen so far has changed my mind on that.
Are you a part of the sport? Have you reached the highest levels in it? If not then you can't say that it is. I on the other hand have, and can say that it is not.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
I scarcely think that the definition of "thin skinned" is whether or not an athlete can trash talk.:laugh:
I certainly did not say this. I said figure skating is a thinned-skinned sport. It’s why trash talk is not a thing. Not figure skating is thin-skinned because there is no trash talk. There‘s a difference. I’m saying there are things that make figure skating (I’m referring to the fans, not the athletes) thin-skinned that have nothing to do with talking trash. Those other things is why trash talking is not a thing. I hope that was clearer.

Trash talk is not the same as insults. Trash talk is not the same as disrespecting an athlete. You can trash-talk an athlete you respect. Also, you can certainly trash talk and have a meaningful discussion of the sport at the same time. And you know what? It’s very easy to do. It’s banter and it makes the monotony of conferences and interviews fun .

Also, (this doesn’t go to you elhenry but to the other poster. I’m on my phone and the quote feature is wonky): I have every right to say and feel that figure skating is thin-skinned and I don’t need to be a figure skater or coach or involved in the sport to hold that opinion. I can’t sing but I know when someone else can’t because I have ears.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I certainly did not say this. I said figure skating is a thinned-skinned sport. It’s why trash talk is not a thing. Not figure skating is thin-skinned because there is no trash talk. There‘s a difference. I’m saying there are things that make figure skating (I’m referring to the fans, not the athletes) thin-skinned that have nothing to do with talking trash. Those other things is why trash talking is not a thing. I hope that was clearer.

Trash talk is not the same as insults. Trash talk is not the same as disrespecting an athlete. You can trash-talk an athlete you respect. Also, you can certainly trash talk and have a meaningful discussion of the sport at the same time. And you know what? It’s very easy to do. It’s banter and it makes the monotony of conferences and interviews fun .

Also, (this doesn’t go to you elhenry but to the other poster. I’m on my phone and the quote feature is wonky): I have every right to say and feel that figure skating is thin-skinned and I don’t need to be a figure skater or coach or involved in the sport to hold that opinion. I can’t sing but I know when someone else can’t because I have ears.
You can speak to me directly you know. And also, I'm allowed to have my opinion too which is based on fact and experience. You can disagree from the outside all you want.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
You can speak to me directly you know. And also, I'm allowed to have my opinion too which is based on fact and experience. You can disagree from the outside all you want.
And I will. Of course you’re allowed to have your opinion. Unlike you, I never said otherwise. My opinion is also based on experience and observation.

(In the first part of my previous post, I was talking to elhenry. I did try to speak to you directly, but I’m on my phone and the quote feature started going wonky. Sorry about that.)

NaVi

Medalist
It can be psychologically taxing if you say anything negative about others... it's just more baggage you carry with you when you go out on the ice. It's best to just let others like a coach or choreographer talk. Even then, their statements can weight... there were a moments where I believe Eteri said things publicly that should have not been said publicly that really weighed on Yulia.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
If a sport needs trash talk to be successful or entertaining then it clearly has its own problems.

Figure skating is not that kind of sport.

And it’s pretty strange to say you are a better judge of a sport being “thin skinned” than an elite skater like Ic3Rabbit. I’ve been involved in skating since I was a child, I know several Olympic coaches and have taken lessens from former Olympic skaters. It is not a thin skinned sport.

Also for Nathan to trash talk his fellow skaters would be silly and I think he would find it disrespectful. He knows how hard he and his competitors work. Confidence is a good look, arrogance is not.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If a sport needs trash talk to be successful or entertaining then it clearly has its own problems.

Figure skating is not that kind of sport.

And it’s pretty strange to say you are a better judge of a sport being “thin skinned” than an elite skater like Ic3Rabbit. I’ve been involved in skating since I was a child, I know several Olympic coaches and have taken lessens from former Olympic skaters. It is not a thin skinned sport.

Also for Nathan to trash talk his fellow skaters would be silly and I think he would find it disrespectful. He knows how hard he and his competitors work. Confidence is a good look, arrogance is not.
Thank you Seren.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And I will. Of course you’re allowed to have your opinion. Unlike you, I never said otherwise. My opinion is also based on experience and observation.

(In the first part of my previous post, I was talking to elhenry. I did try to speak to you directly, but I’m on my phone and the quote feature started going wonky. Sorry about that.)
And I never said you can't have your opinion, so please don't place words in my mouth that weren't there. All I asked for was your background in the sport: That's what matters here. That is why skating is not thin skinned and not like other sports that have to rely on trash talk. Let's just agree to disagree and forget about this thread.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Is 'trash talk' some weird American subculture? I get that it might be a thing in pro wrestling and reality TV shows, but not real life. In places I've lived (Britain, NZ, Asia) most people seem to frown on it as immature. Unless they're into pro wrestling or reality TV, of course. Or politics.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is 'trash talk' some weird American subculture? I get that it might be a thing in pro wrestling and reality TV shows, but not real life. In places I've lived (Britain, NZ, Asia) most people seem to frown on it as immature. Unless they're into pro wrestling or reality TV, of course. Or politics.
Yes, I've lived all over and can tell you it's some weird trashy thing that's done in reality tv and "pro" wrestling, the NBA, and no where else that I can think of, well apparently the other sport that's being referred to upthread as well.

Myself and I know the rest of the skating world considers ourselves a bit too classy for that junk.

rollerblade

Record Breaker

NBA has a lot of trash talkers, but everything is so P.C. nowadays compared to, say, the 90's.