New skates | Golden Skate

New skates

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
I'm 16 years old (155 cm, 50kg) and am currently skating in riedell motion, but am now thinking of upgrading. I have all my singles and am working on doubles. I've done a bit of research and am thinking of possibly buying edea chorus or risport rf3, but which ones would be better, or should I be looking at other brands? My ankles are quite weak and I've had a lot of injuries in the past so I'd like a lot of support but I'm worried that the the chorus and rf3 are a lot shorter (in height) than the motion and might not give me the safety I need. I'm also a bit concerned about the fact that blades on edeas are usually quite short and that might make it hard to find the sweet spot for turns.
I'm currently skating with jackson legacy blades but I am considering switching to coronation ace, is there a big difference?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
From my experience Edea's are very very soft and if they're not the perfect fit there will be no support at all. And even if they are a nice fit for your feet, I think maybe the chorus might be too soft for you. You said you would like a lot of support and I think in Edea's concerto should be way better than chorus for you. I can't say much about other brands but I'm currently considering maybe switching to Risport myself later this year when I can get fitted. If the pro shops near you are open I highly suggest you just try on a few boots like Edea chorus, concerto and Risport rf3 (pro), rf2 (if available, I don't think they're sold in many stores) Royal pro and Elite pro. If the riedell fit is working for you though try to look into stiffer riedells if possible.
Can't say anything from my experience about the blades but I've heard a lot of good things about the CoraAce
Please don't make suggestions if you don't know much about the boots. You are suggesting boots to people that are way too stiff for them and will end up injuring them. Same with yourself in your own thread. You want boots that are way too stiff for your current level.

Also, certain boots fit certain foot shapes. Unless you know each well (I and a few others here do) you cannot make proper suggestions for boot brands or types.

As I always suggest and as sandaskates has pointed out: Get a figure skate fitting from a professional fitter.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm 16 years old (155 cm, 50kg) and am currently skating in riedell motion, but am now thinking of upgrading. I have all my singles and am working on doubles. I've done a bit of research and am thinking of possibly buying edea chorus or risport rf3, but which ones would be better, or should I be looking at other brands? My ankles are quite weak and I've had a lot of injuries in the past so I'd like a lot of support but I'm worried that the the chorus and rf3 are a lot shorter (in height) than the motion and might not give me the safety I need. I'm also a bit concerned about the fact that blades on edeas are usually quite short and that might make it hard to find the sweet spot for turns.
I'm currently skating with jackson legacy blades but I am considering switching to coronation ace, is there a big difference?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Do you have a skate tech or someone that can do a fitting with you? First of all blades, Coro Ace will be fine for your skating level. Secondly, how are you even doing doubles in a motion? Those are not are not stiff enough for you personally, you could get hurt. If you fit a Riedell, stay in that brand would be my best suggestion and upgrade to Bronze Star or Silver Star. Depending on what your feet are like (shape, arches) you might work in a Graf or Jackson.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Do you have a skate tech or someone that can do a fitting with you? First of all blades, Coro Ace will be fine for your skating level. Secondly, how are you even doing doubles in a motion? Those are not are not stiff enough for you personally, you could get hurt. If you fit a Riedell, stay in that brand would be my best suggestion and upgrade to Bronze Star or Silver Star. Depending on what your feet are like (shape, arches) you might work in a Graf or Jackson.
Thank you so much! I had no idea the motion wasn't good enough, I was thinking of buying new skates because they were giving me a lot of blisters. I also have absolutely no experience with any brand other than Riedell, so maybe something else would be better. There isn't really anywhere I could get a fitting, the people that work at my local skate shop have no idea about figure skating. My foot shape is probably Greek, pretty normal arches and my foot is medium width.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
From my experience Edea's are very very soft and if they're not the perfect fit there will be no support at all. And even if they are a nice fit for your feet, I think maybe the chorus might be too soft for you. You said you would like a lot of support and I think in Edea's concerto should be way better than chorus for you. I can't say much about other brands but I'm currently considering maybe switching to Risport myself later this year when I can get fitted. If the pro shops near you are open I highly suggest you just try on a few boots like Edea chorus, concerto and Risport rf3 (pro), rf2 (if available, I don't think they're sold in many stores) Royal pro and Elite pro. If the riedell fit is working for you though try to look into stiffer riedells if possible.
Can't say anything from my experience about the blades but I've heard a lot of good things about the CoraAce
Thank you so much for your help, I did get a lot of blisters from the motion, but maybe that's just because I've had them for quite a while. I was thinking that shorter boots might be a bit better for me, because I have really short legs and Riedells are pretty high.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Thanks for all your replies! I thought I should mention that I'm in the uk and Riedells are quite hard to get by. Also, could someone please explain the difference between the risport rf3 pro and the edea chorus?

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
I've looked into blades a bit more and I was wondering what the difference between the "normal" jackson ultima legacy (which I'm currently skating with) and the jackson ultima legacy 7 and 8 is?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for your help, I did get a lot of blisters from the motion, but maybe that's just because I've had them for quite a while. I was thinking that shorter boots might be a bit better for me, because I have really short legs and Riedells are pretty high.
Don't listen to that advice, there is alot wrong with it that could injure you. The boots suggested are too high level for you/too stiff.

If you want to try Risport, try RF3Pro, since you are so small, you could get away with the Antares for doubles. Just make sure the person fitting you knows Risport and what they are doing. Edea will not work with your foot with the way you describe the shape, etc.
You might want to look into Jackson and a lower cut boot if that's something you prefer and Jackson has that option.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've looked into blades a bit more and I was wondering what the difference between the "normal" jackson ultima legacy (which I'm currently skating with) and the jackson ultima legacy 7 and 8 is?
The legacy you are wearing now is what they call the legacy 8 now. It's not meant for anything above singles. And is quite flat in the rocker. If you are going to be doing doubles I'd switch to Coro Ace or MK Pro, just be aware it's 7ft rocker on those.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Do not go with Edea if you have weak ankles. They are very supportive, however the ankle is open and requires you to use your strength to hold yourself up. Personally, I love my Edeas as I have extremely strong ankles that are prone to tendonitis (which makes Edea perfect) however, they will injure you right away (and maybe even permanently).

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Thank you so much for your help! My heel is slightly narrower than the ball of my foot and I've heard Jacksons are good for that kind of foot shape, if so would Entre be a good boot to buy?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Your foot would likely not like a Jackson very much. I'd stick to Ic3Rabbit's advice for Risport if I were you.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
I got the chance to try on the risport rf3 pro, but the the toe box was far to narrow for my foot. Would it be a good idea to just get in punched out or should I think about buying different boots?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I got the chance to try on the risport rf3 pro, but the the toe box was far to narrow for my foot. Would it be a good idea to just get in punched out or should I think about buying different boots?
Did your fitter measure your width?

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
No, but he did mention that my heel is a lot narrower than the ball of my foot and that Jackson's might be a better fit.