Youtube Videos | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Youtube Videos

bekalc

Record Breaker
Both Carolina and Yeon-ah are using old MK music (Kostner is using Dumsky, which was part of "Song of the Black Swan" and Yeon-Ah is using Miss Saigon, which MK used in 1993).

I'm not a big fan of Carolina and Oksana Domnina's dresses--they look like wedding cakes.

Well no offense but MK's Miss Saigon was done when she was 13, and well most people don't remember it...So I think Yu-na's will be more memorable..:laugh:

twinsissv

Rinkside
Joe, no lady skater skates like Johnny doesn't mean that it's not feminine. Who can say that skate like a swan is not feminine?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Well.......I can. There is such a thing as a MALE swan you know. :yes:

Joe, no lady skater skates like Johnny doesn't mean that it's not feminine. Who can say that skate like a swan is not feminine? That's the part that Johnny stood at the edge and keep "pushing the envelope". That is the part that still makes me wondering whether I like his skating or not. I don't care if someone is a gay or not, but I don't like to watch a man skate like a woman. It's just my taste. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Jenny - I understand what you are saying but I do not understand what you mean by 'feminine'? Would you say that unless a male skater moves in the style of a gladiator, torreador, or has no style at all, he is feminine? If so, then you are entitled to your perception of the style of a male skater. No problem. For me, though, I can't imagine that triple axle Johnny does as being feminine.

Joe

tilak

On the Ice

Well said, Twinsissv.
If I recall correctly, Daisuke Takahashi has done a variation of the layback spin ususlly done by the ladies. I thought it awesome! Correct me if I am wrong.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Jenny - I understand what you are saying but I do not understand what you mean by 'feminine'? Would you say that unless a male skater moves in the style of a gladiator, torreador, or has no style at all, he is feminine? If so, then you are entitled to your perception of the style of a male skater. No problem. For me, though, I can't imagine that triple axle Johnny does as being feminine.

Joe

Joe, those gladiators and the type are extremely the opposite. I wouldn't categorize "no style" as male style. Jeffrey Buttle's skating has very beautiful style that I have never felt it is feminine. Stephane Lambiel's skating has style that I have never felt it's feminine. Emanuel Sandhu has a weird style that I have never felt it's feminine. For Johnny Weir's style, particularly "The Swan", I think sometimes it's too close to feminine style. Evgeni Plushenko used to do beilman spin many years ago which I think it is very feminine. Of course, I have just realized that the definition of "feminine" is really, in the end, coming from one's inner feeling, the grow up environment, the type of education received when they grow up, the culture, etc. So it can be very different. There is no conclusion for this. We just each state our opinions and come to a mutual understanding.

By the way, Johnny's triple axle is perfect. I love it very much!

Well said, Twinsissv.
If I recall correctly, Daisuke Takahashi has done a variation of the layback spin ususlly done by the ladies. I thought it awesome! Correct me if I am wrong.

I really didn't pay enough attention on Daisuke for I am not his fan. So I don't know.

Art comes from the fact and reality, but it is refined and extracted from the fact and reality. I think if we are talking about art, it is not traditionally using a swan or a bird to portray a male.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Do you know where i can find Pang/tong's ex video.

Also Shen/zhao.
Thanks!

Did Shen/Zhao do an exhibition at Cup of China....and if so, WHO SAW IT...how did they look, what did they skate too??????????

kandidy

Final Flight
Caroline's EX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQrTFTSW9c

It's awesome she went for the harder 3Z-3T! :bow: She's such a fighter. They both look the allowed 1/4-turn short to me (though pausing in youtube is a pain), just that the 3T landing is a little scratchy & forward-leaning (as is the subsequent 3F). It can't be easy in that dark rink under a glaring spotlight. Just how many other ladies, for that matter, men, try this combination in the exhibitions?! :rock:

Her exhibition is the best program I have ever seen from her so far. I love the second spiral that she held her hands behing the free leg and her final spins are really beautiful.

layman

On the Ice
This is getting old

This masculinity/femininity debate comes up every year in reference to Johnny. It's getting old and it's a pointless debate. Every one has a different idea about what is and isn't masculine and feminine and no one can impose their veiwpoint on any other.

Johnny tried pleasing others last season with that fake masculinity crap that proved to be a disaster for his skating. I like the fact that Johnny is Johnny again and skating for himself again. You can't please everyone. Those who are uncomfortable with him or dislike him for who he is...need to look in the mirror.

Johnny's special. I marvel at his soft knees that make him seem to float over the ice. I marvel at the speed and flow in his skating. I marvel at the powerful line that Johnny creates through his back and shoulders, legs and arms...he really takes the time to create beautiful pictures on the ice...there's nothing sloppy or thrown away in his skating. I marvel at his amazing posture and control. He seems aware of his posture during every second of his time out on the ice, so that no matter when you look at him and no matter where you are in the the arena, Johnny always gives everyone, everyseat in the house (and at home), the same sequence of powerful images. What other man bothers to stretch the free-leg fully in the landing of EVERY jump and then hold the position long enough for the eye to take it in and marvel at it?

I marvel at the effortlessness of his skating...the beauty of it...the serenity of it. I find his skating captivating. It's like he's skating on a frozen moonlit lake, which you happen to stumble across in the dark. There's something very private about his skating and it's such a privledge to be invited in.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Wow, I'm not normally a fan of Carolina's style at all, but her exhibition was amazing. I don't even really care for the music, but she made it work. That was almost MK-like in terms of expressiveness. Love her fast, smooth and steady spirals, too.

Both Caros done good. ;)

melodies

Rinkside
Did Shen/Zhao do an exhibition at Cup of China....and if so, WHO SAW IT...how did they look, what did they skate too??????????

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-11/11/xinsrc_262110411205678129858159.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-11/11/xinsrc_122110411193531216971132.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-11/11/xinsrc_142110411193578110550139.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-11/11/xinsrc_15211041119351256275140.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-11/11/xinsrc_142110411193545329774138.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-11/11/xinsrc_142110411193512527521137.jpg

They have just finished two new programs in the USA, but not too familiar with the programs just yet, so they skated to the previous one, Caruso. They have changed to a new costume... look like wedding dress.. hehe. :rock:

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the photos and update, Melodies! They look happy and healthy and just fantastic all around. I'm happy for them, but miss having them on the competitive scene already.

ChrisH

On the Ice
More alike than not

The 2A/3T looked a bit iffy though, I think the SA technical panel might've downgraded it. That's a new combo for her, isn't it?
I wonder if it's an easier combo than the 3F+3T. If so, that's something that Caroline should pick up too. Not that I'd like to see Caroline use it in her FS (as that would make her's and Yu-Na's programs too similar), but it would be an option if Caroline doesn't land her 3F cleanly and it could be a good warm-up combo in practice sessions for her 3F+3T. Program versatility and minimizing the chances of injury are good things. :)

twinsissv

Rinkside
This masculinity/femininity debate comes up every year in reference to Johnny. It's getting old and it's a pointless debate. Every one has a different idea about what is and isn't masculine and feminine and no one can impose their veiwpoint on any other.

Johnny tried pleasing others last season with that fake masculinity crap that proved to be a disaster for his skating. I like the fact that Johnny is Johnny again and skating for himself again. You can't please everyone. Those who are uncomfortable with him or dislike him for who he is...need to look in the mirror.

Johnny's special. I marvel at his soft knees that make him seem to float over the ice. I marvel at the speed and flow in his skating. I marvel at the powerful line that Johnny creates through his back and shoulders, legs and arms...he really takes the time to create beautiful pictures on the ice...there's nothing sloppy or thrown away in his skating. I marvel at his amazing posture and control. He seems aware of his posture during every second of his time out on the ice, so that no matter when you look at him and no matter where you are in the the arena, Johnny always gives everyone, everyseat in the house (and at home), the same sequence of powerful images. What other man bothers to stretch the free-leg fully in the landing of EVERY jump and then hold the position long enough for the eye to take it in and marvel at it?

I marvel at the effortlessness of his skating...the beauty of it...the serenity of it. I find his skating captivating. It's like he's skating on a frozen moonlit lake, which you happen to stumble across in the dark. There's something very private about his skating and it's such a privledge to be invited in.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I marvel at your entire post...lovely. :clap:

jiggs

On the Ice
Wow, I'm not normally a fan of Carolina's style at all, but her exhibition was amazing. I don't even really care for the music, but she made it work. That was almost MK-like in terms of expressiveness. Love her fast, smooth and steady spirals, too.

I love this program too and I can watch it all over again. I saw it live when she debuted it at Bolzano Gala last year with the composer on the piano on the ice. It was magnificient. And the one from Euros was amazing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWt22LMFHvU (Euros)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBO2Nboltpc (Bolzano Gala)

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I loved Caroline's Exhibition program. I believe I like this program so much because it would do so poorly in the CoP. The fluidity of her skating shows so beautifully and the interpretation of the music comes through without having to worry how many points one is accumulating in the new system.
Show me exhibitions - forget competition. I am over the CoP.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Joe, I think you just coined a new term without realizing it!

The Liashenko preparation into a jump.. I think we should all start using it more often...

Example: That young skater can't fit in any choreography into her LP because of her long Liashenko preparations into her triple jumps.....

The Liashenko prep was once called the Baiul--but when two-foots became commonplace, that became the Baiul =) Then we have stiff legs (the Bute landing) and I don't think Human Zamboni needs an explanation