2021 World Team Trophy - General Info | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021 World Team Trophy - General Info

removof

On the Ice
World Team Trophy will be without audience?
I hope they will maintain the event with a sanitary bubble like the swedish.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow, just saw this as well. With commentary on German Eurosport! Is that a premiere? I think I've never seen WTT on tv here, or maybe I remember it wrong. :D

This is not a new thing. Eurosport has shown the World Team Trophy in the past on their linear channels.

BUT, because the WTT usually clashes with the start of the Crucible Theatre stages of the World Snooker Championships, the level of coverage of each edition has varied greatly. Some editions have had live coverage; some editions just had highlights later on in the day; and some editions were not shown at all.

From what I remember, the most common approach they took was to have LIVE coverage for the segments that were held in the afternoon Japanese time (as they finished before the snooker started), and have highlights for the segments that were held in the evening Japanese time (as they clashed with the morning session of the snooker).

So, it will be interesting to see what we get this time round.

CaroLiza_fan

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This is not a new thing. Eurosport has shown the World Team Trophy in the past on their linear channels.

BUT, because the WTT usually clashes with the start of the Crucible Theatre stages of the World Snooker Championships, the level of coverage of each edition has varied greatly. Some editions have had live coverage; some editions just had highlights later on in the day; and some editions were not shown at all.

From what I remember, the most common approach they took was to have LIVE coverage for the segments that were held in the afternoon Japanese time (as they finished before the snooker started), and have highlights for the segments that were held in the evening Japanese time (as they clashed with the morning session of the snooker).

So, it will be interesting to see what we get this time round.

CaroLiza_fan
Good to know, thanks CaroLiza_fan! I cannot remember any german commentary for WTT. Perhaps it happened and I just watched another stream, so :devilish:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I know I am in the minority, but is ISU/JSF still going/willing to hold this WTT? Really... sigh... The covid-19 situation in Osaka is probably the most serious thruout Japan right now; the number of covid positives are increasing every day, hospitals which take care of severe patients are full, medical staff are indeed exhausted, facing continuous manpower shortage since spring 2020. I still want it will be cancelled in the last minute. I have been a huge fan of this WTT event, enjoyed a great deal but NOT this year. It's not the world championships in the preOly season... like the one in Stockholm just last month. It can wait. For many reasons. Sorry.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
They’re not gonna cancel.
With Worlds, once again the ISU proved that the bubble concept worked. Even if some fans may disagree with that, clearly the JSF is convinced enough!
So, WTT is a much smaller scale event, much less risk involved.
And I hate to say this, but the situation in Osaka isn’t any different from the situation we’ve had in the whole of Europe for over a year now. With plenty of ISU sports events that have all been pretty successful.

People are trying to move on. With the Olympics approaching fast, skaters may actually want to get more practice at competitions rather than less.

TarAncalime

On the Ice
They’re not gonna cancel.
With Worlds, once again the ISU proved that the bubble concept worked. Even if some fans may disagree with that, clearly the JSF is convinced enough!
So, WTT is a much smaller scale event, much less risk involved.
And I hate to say this, but the situation in Osaka isn’t any different from the situation we’ve had in the whole of Europe for over a year now. With plenty of ISU sports events that have all been pretty successful.

People are trying to move on. With the Olympics approaching fast, skaters may actually want to get more practice at competitions rather than less.
There will be no spectators IMO. As the prefecture Osaka has announced a state of emergency because of the Covid19 cases, the bubble will be set up like in Stockholm. Where, after the 14 days quarantine for all athletes is over, no cases have been recorded but those which were already known.

Country
Norway
I know I am in the minority, but is ISU/JSF still going/willing to hold this WTT? Really... sigh... The covid-19 situation in Osaka is probably the most serious thruout Japan right now; the number of covid positives are increasing every day, hospitals which take care of severe patients are full, medical staff are indeed exhausted, facing continuous manpower shortage since spring 2020. I still want it will be cancelled in the last minute. I have been a huge fan of this WTT event, enjoyed a great deal but NOT this year. It's not the world championships in the preOly season... like the one in Stockholm just last month. It can wait. For many reasons. Sorry.

ISU don´t care about safety for the skaters. If they did, they should have cancelled Worlds as well. It wasn´t a good situation in Stockholm either. They didn´t cancel all though there was a rapid rise in new cases in Stockholm, and hospitals struggling as well.

I don´t care if Worlds did turn out well with the "bubble" and there wasn´t a big break out (all though there was a few cases). If it means gambling on that participants won´t need health care, it´s simply not safe enough.

It should be a minimum that the area which are hosting has the safety and capacity to give the participants the best care for a lot of different scenarios. Both for the society and the participants. Even if you aren´t sick with the virus, there is a huge risk of even being in contact with the health system. Many people have gotten the virus at hospitals/in contact with medical staff. Maes injury was scary enough, but it was even more scary knowing she had to go to a hospital in a city with a lot of covid cases, in a country known of not using face mask.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I wouldn’t bet on either. Do you get Eurosport in Germany and Italy? (I know Germany does, at least.) Then you can be pretty much guaranteed the youtube stream will be geoblocked.

That ISU list was incorrect re: Eurosport for Worlds, too, leaving out a bunch of countries, and it doesn’t look they have made any efforts to correct that.

(They just copy/paste the same list every time; like, seriously, the Dutch NOS airing highlights of WTT?!?! In what fantastic alternate universe do you suppose that happens?! Not in the one we live in, anyway. Worlds, yes. WTT? 🤣)

Last edited:

Nachi

On the Ice
Hmm...I saw a corrected one for European Championships. For now the streams seem to be available and I don't know how this thing even works. Does Eurosports Germany need to buy the rights to broadcast as well? Because if so then I don't think they will. There's no team of real interest to Germany participating thus I think it'll be fine. Of course I can be totally wrong but until now WTT has never been broadcast in german TV (as far as I remember).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Team USA sends video greetings in Japanese to the Japanese fans:

And Jason writes on his post in Japanese:
日本のファンのみなさん、
いよいよ今週、国別対抗戦です。今回、日本でパフォーマンスが出来る事を、とても楽しみにしています。コロナ禍で大変な中、試合ができるという機会を与えて頂きとても感謝しています。チームUSAは、感染防止策に従い、リスクを最小限に抑える努力をします。

Bing translate:

Japanese fans,

This week is finally a national rivalry. I'm really looking forward to performing in Japan this time. I am very grateful to have given me the opportunity to play a match in the difficulties caused by the corona disaster. Team USA will follow infection control measures and strive to minimize the risk.