2021 World Team Trophy: Thoughts and observations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 World Team Trophy: Thoughts and observations

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Highlights for me were Kaori and Roman. Also, really happy and stunned that Jason Brown placed 3rd after the big two. He couldn’t have skated any better. I thought Kevin and Kolyada should have placed higher though. Also, the Russians in the Ice Dance really impressed me with their skating skills and this is the first time I have rematches their skate.

One observation that I have recently made though, is with Team Lambiel. At first, I thought it must be really fun to train under such a carefree coach. But, I have recently started to lean towards thinking that Shoma and Rika could perhaps benefit from stricter coaching. It may be that they both are undergoing injuries and just a coincidence. But, there just seems to be a lack of concentration and fight during their training and skates.

icetug

Medalist
One observation that I have recently made though, is with Team Lambiel. At first, I thought it must be really fun to train under such a carefree coach. But, I have recently started to lean towards thinking that Shoma and Rika could perhaps benefit from stricter coaching. It may be that they both are undergoing injuries and just a coincidence. But, there just seems to be a lack of concentration and fight during their training and skates.
I'm quite sure it wasn't Lambiel who sent Rika for four weeks to Colorado Springs just before Worlds for jump training (and yes, she's injured and she was injured at Worlds). And Shoma had boots problems. So I can't see how stricter coaching could help them both...

Last edited:

Wiggily

Spectator
I don't know what Stephane is doing with Rika and Shoma in Switzerland, but it is definitely not helping them.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Watched the ladies and men yesterday. Was pleased with Kaori getting a bit higher PCS, Tuk doing well (she actually looked like she was interpreting the music and not just doing the moves she was supposed to do). The two Italian girls were a delight to see also. But overall not a great ladies SP.

The men were better overall despite some not very excellent skates. Roman Sadovsky and Nam Nguyen are reminders that growing up is not necessarily easy for the guys either - they were tiny as juniors and now tower over most of their fellow skaters. And the jumps don't necessarily come that easy any more. But Sadovsky is quite pleasant to watch. Kevin and Jason were very good both in their own ways. Someone wrote on some other thread that Jason's interpretation of the piece could be a bit more serious - after all it is the sinner trying to escape from God's wrath on Judgement Day - and I agree, though this one was maybe a tad more towards the right direction.

The top guys delivered and I kind of like this SP from Hanyu because he looks like he is actually performing and even creating a character instead of just doing generic pretty and/or intensive moves. Nathan started to look a bit like the part in his SP in its probably last performance, but this somehow never got very interesting to watch.

E

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't know what Stephane is doing with Rika and Shoma in Switzerland, but it is definitely not helping them.
Rika's injury has renewed, which limits her skating (she can't jump Lutz again). And Shoma was always unstable.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... seeing the "Canadian B team" at WTT really shows how well Canada performed at worlds despite the lack of preparation and competitions. Lockdown, curfews, rinks closed.. it's been so hard for our skaters... Nam posted beautiful shots of him skating on Ontario lake with Toronto in the background a few months ago... if his skating improved, jumps and spins suffered. Roman is back to lacking rotation. At above 6 foot tall, not surprising... Thierry and Lori-Anne did about what I expected them to do... one mistake... (jump) I was surprised how nervous they were on the twist though... that's usually better for them. However, the rest of the program was strong. Carolane and Shane... not sure what to think. I thought their free dance was better than high 90s.... but I am not on the panel :) I think Skate Canada was quite courageous and wise though in sending these athletes back to the rink...if we keep in mind that it's their first event of the year, their level is not that bad. THey can build up on that during the summer months (if Covid allows) and should be back on track in the fall/winter. Sending (if we put aside traveling restrictions) the A team to this event, may have produced better results of course, but then, then entire national team would have suffered. I was glad to see the Italians both in dance and pairs do well. I wasn't really impressed with their singles skaters thoiugh. I know many like Grassl, but I haven't been charmed yet... though i find his jump layout quite impressive. Nathan is always so gorgeous to watch. The japanese pairs confirmed a bit that they are there to stay, that it wasn't just luck at worlds. Russia is Russia, strong as always, with an A team containing 3 world champions. Not much I can add about France.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You guys please let’s not turn this thread into yet another fan war, okay? They’re both amazing and super accomplished skaters. If you like one better than the other, great, but no need to denigrate the other skater. Please?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In the pairs event I was most impressed by Hamon & Strekalin, who had the best short program of their careers, at least that I've seen. A bit undermarked, I thought. Mishina & Galliamov are obviously the class of this field (ironically, with no Chinese or other Russian teams, this is the easiest competition they've had all season), but they've done this program better several times this year.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I put in some reviews of the events in the Second day competition thread, but here's my summary of the day.

Pairs: best moment was shown by Cleo and Denys: made me cry. Nicole and Matteo were really back.

Men: less stellar than yesterday but Evgeni, Mikhail, Kevin, Yuzu and Nathan were all impressive and wonderful, even though some had (small) mistakes. Each in their own styles, which makes the men's event so fascinating.

Dance: the French can look forward to the time after Papadakis/Cizeron. A wonderful skate by them. Jean-Luc and Kaitlin got a bit low balled again, and both the Italians and Russians were really good.

Another great day.

Kittosuni

Medalist
. Jean-Luc and Kaitlin got a bit low balled again,
Im really curious about this comment. can you cite an example where or how they are low balled scores wise?

Im no expert but SS wise i feel like they are not even up par with the italian/Russian. I even feel like they are scored generously most of the time and are simply place holders until the younger teams from USA move up.

Basically I dont see them being USA number 1 when C/B or H/D retires. That is just my observation

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Kaori has such incredible depth ,speed and power. She was the highlight of the competition for me.This program really accentuates her qualities. It’s quite amusing that the judges think Shcherbakova and Kaori’s skating skills are on par .