Skate Canada awarded the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Montréal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada awarded the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Montréal

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Since several people mentioned hosting Worlds, I was curious how many times Canada and the US have hosted Worlds.

Canada has hosted Worlds 8 times:
1972 Calgary
1978 Ottawa
1984 Ottawa
1990 Halifax
1996 Edmonton
2001 Vancouver
2006 Calgary
2013 London
---
2024 Montreal

The US has hosted Worlds 12 times:
1930 New York
1957 Colorado Springs
1965 Colorado Springs
1969 Colorado Springs
1975 Colorado Springs
1981 Hartford
1987 Cincinnati
1992 Oakland
1998 Minneapolis
2003 Washington, D.C.
2009 Los Angeles
2016 Boston
You are missing montreal 1932 iirc. But we can see the trend i was mentioning. Occurences are around 6 years apart lately for usa and canada. So it follows the pattern europe asia n america europe asia n america.

And for asia, more often than not it is japan and for n america it alternates between canada and usa.

Weathergal

Medalist
You are missing montreal 1932 iirc. But we can see the trend i was mentioning. Occurences are around 6 years apart lately for usa and canada. So it follows the pattern europe asia n america europe asia n america.

And for asia, more often than not it is japan and for n america it alternates between canada and usa.
You're right - I missed Montreal of all places! Thanks for the correction. I'll update my post above. I was scanning for the Canadian flag, but they used a different flag for that listing, for some reason. I think it's the Quebec provincial flag.

I also missed Vancouver in 1960 because that listing used what I'm guessing is the British Columbia provincial flag instead of the Canadian one.

Yes, I was also wondering how it splits between North America, Europe, and Asia. I'll have to look at that sometime, just for curiosity's sake.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It is the old canadian flag. We got a new one in 1965. Quebec and bc have very beautiful and distinctive provincial flags. The old canadian flag = meh

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Yes, in terms of North America: Worlds has alternated btwn Canada and USA going back to 1970.
Since 1970: nine times for Canada (including 2024); and eight times for USA.

Before 1970: five times for USA; and two times for Canada.

The grand totals for North America: thirteen times for USA; and eleven times for Canada.

Japan: 1977, 1985, 1994, 2002, 2007, 2014, 2019 (seven times) + 2023
China: 2015.

... The US has hosted Worlds 12 times:
1930 New York
1957 Colorado Springs
1965 Colorado Springs
1969 Colorado Springs
1975 Colorado Springs
1981 Hartford
1987 Cincinnati
1992 Oakland
1998 Minneapolis
2003 Washington, D.C.
2009 Los Angeles
2016 Boston

The U.S. has hosted Worlds thirteen times.

1959 Colorado Springs in addition to the twelve years listed by Weathergal.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Yes, in terms of North America: Worlds has alternated btwn Canada and USA going back to 1970.
Since 1970: nine times for Canada (including 2024); and eight times for USA.

Before 1970: five times for USA; and two times for Canada.

The grand totals for North America: thirteen times for USA; and eleven times for Canada.

Japan: 1977, 1985, 1994, 2002, 2007, 2014, 2019 (seven times) + 2023
China: 2015.

The U.S. has hosted Worlds thirteen times.

1959 Colorado Springs in addition to the twelve years listed by Weathergal.
I missed another one. I was thinking today that I need to make an eye doctor appointment. Apparently I do...🤓 I broke my glasses during quarantine and am still wearing the cheaters I bought at the drugstore. LOL

I've updated my post again. Thanks for the correction.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aussieland was supposed to get the World's in 2001, but for some reason France got it in the end. Rude!

Sk8FraSch

Rinkside
Aussieland was supposed to get the World's in 2001, but for some reason France got it in the end. Rude!
Yeah if by stealing you mean having less than 5 month to organize an ISU Worlds after Australia couldn't manage it all together. If I remember correctly, it was about not being able to sell the TV rights to a national channel which is one of the obligation to host.
I'm quite tired to hear this story told the other way around since 20 years.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If I remember correctly, it was about not being able to sell the TV rights to a national channel which is one of the obligation to host.
Well that was a pretty stupid decision from the ISU to award it to Australia in the first place if that was the deal. Blind Freddie could have seen that no national broadcaster in Australia would pay to show figure skating outside of the Winter Olympics.

It was only in 2014-15 that SBS started showing highlights and only a couple of years ago that on demand streaming of events became a thing.

In 2001 we were still on dial up internet! So yeah...no.

Sk8FraSch

Rinkside
Well that was a pretty stupid decision from the ISU to award it to Australia in the first place if that was the deal. Blind Freddie could have seen that no national broadcaster in Australia would pay to show figure skating outside of the Winter Olympics.

It was only in 2014-15 that SBS started showing highlights and only a couple of years ago that on demand streaming of events became a thing.

In 2001 we were still on dial up internet! So yeah...no.
It was a bit of a gamble indeed but still Australia has utterly bad luck when it comes to hosting ISU championships which could only help their situation and visibility within their country for FS.
I wish once they have a massive success in this regard. Japanese fans alone can fill any arena anywhere in the World anyway. Thats not the problem.

jess temenit

Spectator
I have no doubt that there is wonderful music coming out of Montreal which I do not know about. Sadly, being old-ish, my knowledge of all modern music stops in the 1980s. In fact, the first Québécois album (and only) I own is Gilles Vigneault. Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays... Well, I don't need to repeat the rest for you :) And I really don't like folk music, but living where I did, when I did, it was very difficult to learn about non-English cultures, and I was thrilled to actually be able to buy it .

Back to skating, I certainly would not complain if Canada had three men at Montréal Worlds, and two of them being Jo and Conrad. Conrad certainly brought the dra-mah to that FS clip from IG I saw(y)
Then you must remember Michel Pagliaro. "Some sing, Some dance, Some like romance..." :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Some examples of music that could be chosen by skaters for Montreal worlds

• André Gagnon : composer of instrumental music with a very prolific career(passed away a few months ago) Comme au premier jour
  • Harmonium symphonique : composer Serge Fiori . Harmonium was a very popular band in the 70s. New symphonic arrangements were just released at XMAS. This is from Histoires sans paroles (the original version)
  • Arcade Fire : popular band emerging from Montreal many options here... why not Neigbourhood
  • Of course, anything Cirque du Soleil and it's been done
  • A French language song by Celine Dion S'il suffisait d'aimer
  • Coeur de pirate (many options, here are her greatest hits)
  • Alexandra Streliski (dislike it but many people love it... Inscape)
  • Anything Starmania , of course it's been done including SOS d'un terrien en détresse (Denis Ten, Weapo) Here is another one
  • Gilles Vigneault was mentioned above, Félix Leclerc, Jean-Pierre Ferland, Ginette Reno are all artists who are extremely loved and renowned (The North Korean pairs used a Ginette Reno song for one of their programs)
  • Leonard Cohen of course
  • Rufus Wainwright
  • Oscar Peterson ( famous jazz pianist)
  • I am not listing everything... i think there is enough... but just to give another feel Here is some Folk music by la Bottine souriante which may be very distinctive and hard to perform to LOL :) perhaps a better song ;) LOL
I realize that some of these artists are "older as well" but they are still relevant in the culture and would gather a crowd reaction as opposed to the person mentioned earlier in this thread.

Happy listening.
I agree, there's some great Canadian artists on your list. I've always been a huge Andre Gagnon fan and would love someone to skate to his piece Neige. Of course, many Canadian skaters have skated to "La Vien Rose" the best version is by Edith Piaf.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hooray, great news. Canada has been starved for FS since the pandemic hit!