Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Love: Sandra, Dick/Peggy, Spanish tias
Neutral: Tara/Johnny, Scott, Charlie White, Tanith, Kurt/Carol, Mark, Ted Barton
Dislike: 4CC guy

I have good memories watching programs (mainly from Michelle and Sasha) where Dick and Peggy were commentating together. I really enjoy Sandra's sultry voice when commentating. The Spanish tias from RTVE are good IMO and as a Mexican, it's a plus that I can understand them. 4CC guy wasn't good at all and his weird comment about Jun's traditional hat was out of line.

Idiote

On the Ice
I really like Ted Barton, though I can understand how he can be annoying to some. I remember the first times I watched JGP events and I was impressed by his efforts to always have something positive and encouraging to say for every skater, even when the performance didn't go well.

I don't understand russian but I really liked Yulia Lipnitskaya's commentary :)

I only listened to French commentary (my mother tongue) once or twice, both times it was Candeloro and OH BOY was it embarrassing !! This man was a good and unique skater in his time, but his lame racist jokes are shocking and shameful. Even his co-commentators were embarrassed.

readernick

Medalist
Love: The ice dancers: Ben Agosto ( possibly my favorite), Tanith, Charlie White, and Mark Hanretty. Knowledgeable, Honest, and Respectful. Ice dancers' attention to detail and maturity works well in commentary. They also know when to be quiet.

Like: Tracy Wilson, Kurt Browning, Ted Barton. The Spanish commentators. Terry Gannon, German commentators

Ok: Japanese commentators, Dick, Peggy, Scott.

Dislike: Sandra, Johnny, Tara, Tat( her love of skating is charming but her body shaming isn't) , Yagudin, Brit Eurosport guys, the Italian commentators, and the guy from 4CC

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Commentary can be an important part of the experience of watching figure skating. The right commentator(s) can provide knowledgeable information and present it in the right way. The wrong commentator(s) can ruin the entire event.

So who are your favorite and least favorite commentators? Plus, what makes an ideal commentator for you?

I’ll start first..

Favorites
Ted Barton - He’s always so positive, but he does know most of his technical stuff. Plus he tries his best to pronounce those Russian names.

Mark Hanretty - Provides good insight and technical knowledge. He also looks on the bright side and is pretty good at pronouncing names

Tanith White and Charlie White - They did some commentary last year for the US Nationals on NBC Sports Gold, and while I don’t remember too much about it, I remember enjoying it a lot.

Least Favorite
Simon - (the guy who commentated the WTT this year) - Oh, god. I can’t even describe this. To his credit, he is a tennis commentator, but still at least learn something about the sport that you’re commentating! It‘s an euler, not a rough landing. It’s not Nam Noogen, and please stop repeating that Alison Schumacher was born in China, but now skates for Canada because it’s completly ireelvant. And why on earth do I need to know that Anna Shcherbakava (that’s how he pronounced it) broke her leg four years ago? Please, anyone but this guy.

Alexei Yagudin - While I can barely understand a word of what he is saying (I don’t speak Russian), I have my issues with him, so I don’t want him commentating (at least if he ever did it in English)

My ideal commentator
An ideal commentator to me is someone with good technical knowledge, someone who is positive but realistic, at least attempts to pronounce names right, and someone who is telling me what I need to know and not what is right in front of my face. (For example, it’s good to know that a jump is under review by the technical panel, but I don’t need you to tell me that a skater is skating into their opening position, because I can very clearly see that.
I love Dick Button. I loved how excited he used to get. He couldn’t contain himself during Rudy Galindo’s 1996 Nationals (and who could blame him?)

Ted Barton - always complimentary of every skater and I’ve learned the most from him .

Tonia Kwaitkowski used to do pairs commentary for Ice Network. I liked her.

Generally all ice dancers, Tanith, Charlie, Ben

Spanish: Javi! Loved him calling Nathan’s FS.

Tara and Johnny and the stripper heels can go find a pole somewhere.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Fan:

(EN)

Simon Reed + Nicky Slater + Chris Howarth: the ultimate triumvirate. They used to be the best. Neutral, supportive, insightful, at times funny and charming.

Paul Wylie + Susan Wynne: their positivism and expertise are/were lovely to listen to.

(HU)

Mariann Horváth + Judit Fürst: analyst and former ISU judge Fürst was always the ice-cold and biased voice but, at the same time, a huge databank of super-duper insider information and rumors next to a very fact-based and insightful Horváth as a commentator

Mixed bag:

(EN)

Dick Button: he used to be quite 'dickish' (sorry) and biased about a lot of skaters but he was also very insightful.

Ted Barton: he's super supportive but falls a little bit into the realm of 'everyone is a winner' which is a nice disposition as a human being but not so helpful for the viewers as a commentator

NOPE:

(EN)

Scott Hamilton: too much talking, too loud, too theatrical and subjective - every time he commentated like it were a circus or a radio livestream about football

(DE)

Daniel Weiss: the German Scott Hamilton

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting that people usually don't like Tara/Johnny much. I can't say I'm her fan, but I also do not dislike their commenting. Maybe it's because the low quality of the czech commenting (apart from Tomáš Verner, who unfortunately comments the least frequently) that I see many people as an improvement :biggrin:

That leads me to an idea, that here generally people talk about the english speaking commentators. For those from non-english speaking countries, how do you compare the names that were listed here with your native commentators?
The longest thread I ever posted was entitled “Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV.”

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you have a link to that? I would love to see/hear it! (Thanks either way.)
Unfortunately, though I pride myself on being able to find things on the Internet, i came up empty. It is on YouTube. Someone posted it here, possibly on the men’s Worlds wrap up thread here on the main board. Sorry. I did try (for like 20 minutes).

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Unfortunately, though I pride myself on being able to find things on the Internet, i came up empty. It is on YouTube. Someone posted it here, possibly on the men’s Worlds wrap up thread here on the main board. Sorry. I did try (for like 20 minutes).
Thanks anyway, much appreciated!

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I looove Eurosport Chris. He is one of the reasons I got into FS back in 1994 (the other reason was Maria Buturskaya). Chris' co-star Simon is hopeless though. It's better when Chris is paired with someone else.

Don't understand the negative views of Johnny/Tara. I think they are good. I prefer them much more over Dick Button who had no objectivity whatsoever.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Belinda Noonan. Australian who did commentary at the last 3 Olympics for the official olympic stream. She is the diamond. Best expert in the business, no biased opinions, no unnecessary emotions. High level of expertise.
And British tennis commentator, lady, who did the 2018 Worlds commentary for Eurosport, former figure skater. What is her name? Very nice voice and very inteligent opinions. And she can comment for the next 30 years, as she is around 30 years old.
Absolutely love Belinda Noonan . Total professional. Hands down best commentator for me. Intrigued by the British tennis commentator. Only one I can think of is Annabelle Croft. Have to check that out.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Absolutely love Belinda Noonan . Total professional. Hands down best commentator for me. Intrigued by the British tennis commentator. Only one I can think of is Annabelle Croft. Have to check that out.

I think Annabel Croft would give you the nearest thing to a hug that is allowed under the current restrictions for thinking of her when balabam said "around 30". She actually turns 55 in a couple of weeks time! (Unbelievable, isn't it! She could easily pass for a lot younger!)

The British tennis commentator that balabam was referring to is Catherine Whitaker (who, like me, is 35). She was actually a Ladies Singles skater when she was younger, so she does know what she is talking about.

CaroLiza_fan

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
I think Annabel Croft would give you the nearest thing to a hug that is allowed under the current restrictions for thinking of her when balabam said "around 30". She actually turns 55 in a couple of weeks time! (Unbelievable, isn't it! She could easily pass for a lot younger!)

The British tennis commentator that balabam was referring to is Catherine Whitaker (who, like me, is 35). She was actually a Ladies Singles skater when she was younger, so she does know what she is talking about.

CaroLiza_fan
Yes after I posted I suddenly thought Annabel must be in her late forties! Oh yes I know who you mean. Can't believe Annabel is 55 !!

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Like: Tanith, Ben (and Charlie), Carol Lane, Tracy Wilson, David Peltier, PJ.
Neutral: Eurosport trio (lack knowledge on finer details of FS and can't pronounce names, but they're fun & always find something positive to say about every program); Hanretty.
Dislike: Tara/Johny, Kurt Browning (lacks knowledge of Ice Dance & Pairs);

RobinA

On the Ice
Favorites: Terry Gannon, Peter Carruthers (I don't understand the hate directed at him), Scot Hamilton, Brian Boitano the few times he did it, Tanith Belbin, Dick Button, Johnny Weir, Tracey Wilson

Less Than Favorite: Tara Lipinski

Cringworthy: Sandra Bezic. It's not what she says, it's her voice that drives me nuts.

boysoprano

Rinkside
Love: the british eurosport guys in general. Dick Button. Peggy Fleming, Tarasova, Toller Cranston
Like: Tanith and Charlie, Johnny Weir
Loathe: Sandra Bezic, Carol lane, PJ Kwong, Ted Barton, Tracy Wilson, Kurt Browning.
Own special ring of hell: Tara Lipinski.