Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love: the british eurosport guys in general. Dick Button. Peggy Fleming, Tarasova, Toller Cranston
Like: Tanith and Charlie, Johnny Weir
Loathe: Sandra Bezic, Carol lane, PJ Kwong, Ted Barton, Tracy Wilson, Kurt Browning.
Own special ring of hell: Tara Lipinski.
You’re the first person I’ve ever heard say they dislike Ted Barton.

noskates

Record Breaker
Loved: Special ring of hell: Tara Lipinski

Her voice gives me hives and her never-ending pontificating about quads is getting REALLY old. Even Johnny is starting to disagree with her a bit. She talks a lot and yet doesn't have much substance.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I generally like the commentating now much better, regardless of who's giving it. It's really cringeworthy watching some of the racist and sexist commentary from the past. I remember Dick Button commenting that Debi Thomas had an "urban sensibility" to her performance, and several others fawning over Katarina Witt solely on the basis of her physical beauty. Now the focus is much more on aspects of skating that contribute to the score, like skating skills and jump rotation.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I generally like the commentating now much better, regardless of who's giving it. It's really cringeworthy watching some of the racist and sexist commentary from the past.
It's still not perfect though. May I remind you of one of the British guys referring to Wakaba as "stocky"? Or the really tasteless comment at 4CC about Junhwan's hat? And don't get me started on Jack Gallagher (albeit not a commentator) claiming Mai Mihara had an eating disorder despite it very clearly being stated by her team that she suffered with an auto-immune disease.
We have come a really long way though. I think even Yagudin has toned down his commentary a tad compared to a few years ago.

Zora

On the Ice
He has this habit of adding a short pause after every few words, it drives me insane 😅 (an example), so I guess I'm the second person... also, I personally prefer if the commentators actually speak their minds, even if I don't agree, because I'm interested in what other people think of a performance.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has this habit of adding a short pause after every few words, it drives me insane 😅 (an example), so I guess I'm the second person... also, I personally prefer if the commentators actually speak their minds, even if I don't agree, because I'm interested in what other people think of a performance.

I can understand the pause issue:)

But I think Ted really is speaking his mind. He phrases it in politer terms than others may, but I always know who boffed a jump (or not) and where a skater needs improvement after watching the replay with Ted.

I guess after watching NFL games, I'm tired of carping or criticism or sarcasm in the name of "keeping it real". So maybe I'm just overdosed:laugh:

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I like Ted Burton for being quiet when skaters skate and I like Kurt Browning for giving interesting insights, information and opinions. I usually don't like Tara's and Johnny's commentating as they talk too much without saying anything interesting (I do, however, like Tara's voice).

But the commentator I really can't stand is the guy who commented 4CC 2020 for the official ISU YouTube channel.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And I'm the third because he annoys me and I refuse to watch anything he's commentating, just like Tara/Johnny.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
I can't say I can't stand the rest, but I value Ted for being always polite, never ridiculing a skater. For instance he shows the mistake can be described and explained in the commentary without negative allusions, many commentators can't do that.
Well I don't like any of the American commentators!! Eurosport guys, I found Chris to be so annoying!! I can't comment on Mark Hanratty but he does sound bearable from what people have said. I have low tolerance levels !!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well I don't like any of the American commentators!! Eurosport guys, I found Chris to be so annoying!! I can't comment on Mark Hanratty but he does sound bearable from what people have said. I have low tolerance levels !!
When it comes to Eurosport FS guys, whatever can be said against them I think they are still much better than their swimming colleagues :)

"This is all about Murphy. I don't think anyone can catch Murphy. It's gonna be Murphy, I'm sure... No! Rylov!" :rofl:

Last edited:

boysoprano

Rinkside
Cutsey, maple syrup drenched commentary from a ned Flanders scoutmaster type I can do without. I think its also the prescribed element- he's not so much talking but also telling everyone else what they are allowed to say, and you can here that control and anger in his voice. At the same time I find all his commentary on the young ladies' lovely smiles really not relevant. there's also nothing particularly interesting in his expression- it's platitudes and the weakest form of bonhomie. I can see why the ISU uses him for junior though.

Last edited:

Azikin

Medalist
Ummm, who is that guy commenting on Skating ISU channel on Youtube and where does his weird accent come from? 🤔