Mikhail Kolyada | Page 240 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

Tutto

Record Breaker
And here is the whole program https://youtu.be/BT2yB4zHzGY
I am beginning to fear that not only his LP is problematic but so is his SP. It is so empty I just in shock, no connection with the music, zero choreo - just some arm movements in Liza's style, the music crescendo in the end calling for some big element but there are spins (same was with Carmen actually - always bothered me). Wow, his programs by Olga K. were masterpieces compared to this. And the Muse was simply outstanding and world class. Hope the future will prove me wrong but I see a very rocky season ahead of us.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well. People wanted Averbukh programs…
I wouldn’t give too much thought to it now, though. The video is not that good and it’s still almost two months until the tests skates. We’ll have a better idea of the program then.
But it’s not like a bad program is going to take him out of contention. He needs to land his jumps. And I’m happy he’s already focused on the salchow too.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Impressions and commentary from the closed test skates in SPb, as per @sunlight_girl on Twitter:

Mikhail Kolyada FS (Schindler's List): 4S (great +5GOE), 4T-3T, 3A-3T, 4T, 3A, 3Lz-Eu-3S. Last jump wasn't mentioned by user, maybe 3Lo. Axels were just insane, with crazy distance +5 GOE too.

"Kolyada is ready for the season. As for programs, other guys are good, but Kolyada is Kolyada. In my opinion, now they (judges) began to give him lower scores than before, but in real life, he now honestly skates on all these components"

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
"Kolyada skated "Schindler's List" FS twice. According to S-E, it's because the coaching staff and the skater haven't yet decided on SP. It received mixed reactions, incl. on Internet - spectator posted video from training camp in Tartu".
So it seems they are still weighing options for the SP.

I wouldn’t be against changing, but the program was so raw in Tartu, and the camera was just bad, that I feel like it’s hard to make a judgement.
One option would be to go with the gala program with Moonlight Sonata. That would mean no Averbukh program.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
St. Petersburg test skates

37c9f022c4d7d5124127559b732d83c5612c9b358c3e5809024351.jpg

Tutto

Record Breaker
"Kolyada skated "Schindler's List" FS twice. According to S-E, it's because the coaching staff and the skater haven't yet decided on SP. It received mixed reactions, incl. on Internet - spectator posted video from training camp in Tartu".
So it seems they are still weighing options for the SP.

I wouldn’t be against changing, but the program was so raw in Tartu, and the camera was just bad, that I feel like it’s hard to make a judgement.
One option would be to go with the gala program with Moonlight Sonata. That would mean no Averbukh program.
Moonlight Sonata? Another warhorse hmm. Knowing that Mika by his own admission takes time to get into a new program, this is not a good start to the season.
Re SL - I wonder why there was absolutely no feedback on the program itself despite him skating it twice.
4S is the best news so far.
Wishing Mika the absolute best for the weekend!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I like the new program. After how empty Nutcracker was I’m surprised how much choreography there is in this one. Music cut is also better. I liked the costume too. Much more subdued than last year’s short. Wondering about the free now.

LRK

Record Breaker
Loved the program, performance & costume. I was so mesmerised by it, the mistakes barely registered.

I knew he'd care, though, and felt for him coming off the ice. He's nnot exactly a chatterbox anyway, and knew he'd not be inclined to talk to Max at that moment (and I didn't think the idea of descending on the skaters immediately they came off the ice was great to bbegin with.)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Not the most inspired FS, but also not bad. I liked the step sequence and they changed around some of the places he puts his jumps on, but that gray thing he’s wearing needs to go. I wasn’t upset about the change at worlds because the shirt looked more elevated, but after the costume in the SP this looks beneath him. A better set of programs than what he had last Olympics. And if it doesn’t work they have programs to go back to.
Let’s see. I think it’s still too rough to have the full picture.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I love Kolyada (as those who read my username can tell).
but this long program was.... not ideal. Ignoring the jumps, the choreography was stiff and jerky with lots of sudden movements.
It didn't fit the music, and sure didn't fit the story of schindlers list.
the SP fit the music, but last olympic season it was much more original music and exciting (I might be alone in liking the weird Mozart mix).

Anyways the program may grow on me, but as it stands I really don't like it - to clarify though, I love his skating and enjoy watching his skating regardless of the program.

Tutto

Record Breaker
but this long program was.... not ideal. Ignoring the jumps, the choreography was stiff and jerky with lots of sudden movements.
the SP fit the music, but last olympic season it was much more original music and exciting (I might be alone in liking the weird Mozart mix).

Anyways the program may grow on me, but as it stands I really don't like it - to clarify though, I love his skating and enjoy watching his skating regardless of the program.
The season is under way finally! And it always exciting to see Mika after a long tedious off-season. But I have to say I am not excited about either of his programs. Even the costumes are not to the usual standard (did he change the dressmaker I wonder?), the SP costume has achieved unachievable - black making someone look bigger than they are :scratch2:!?
The LP's one I guess serves its purpose but the cut is not particularly flattering.
The feeling after watching both SP & LP is 'I've seen it before. Many times.'
The dialogue from the White Crow came to my mind where Pushkin (Nureyev's teacher) talks about the purpose of dance [ballet]. To entertain? To escape from reality? No, to tell the story...
Here you wonder why to insist on telling the same story again and again.

The SP in particular hurts me as I can't help having visions of Denis Ten's excellently choreographed beautifully interpreted program.
What a waste of Mika's immense talent. Sorry for harsh words but I am truly upset. The only positive I found in all this was that he seems to regain his usual speed - thank God! Quality of jumps (successful) is exquisite.
And he is to take part in the 1st stage of Russian Cup on 22nd Sep.

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight

I feel the same about his FS. .I adore him as a quality skater. Personally I think he had a missed opportunity with The White Crow. It was in my opinion a masterpiece , original and just so suited to his pure ice skating. I hope this program will grow on me too.

Azikin

Medalist
I must admit I was a bit bored by the new FS and after Kondratiuk finished, I was imagining Kolyada skating on his program.. now that would be interesting.. :biggrin:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Somebody needs to get Prokofieva away from Misha's arms. Looks like she finally was allowed to have at it. Misha deserves so much better than her idea of armography. Also better than a week-old SP. Last season was lucky but this season made it more clear than ever that packaging high-PCS skaters is not Mishin's strong suit. I know people said when he moved to Mishin that he should have done it five years ago, but if he had done it five years ago I am afraid he'd not be half as interesting a skater. Whatever you might think of Chebotareva, she knows how to teach SS and bring artistry out of skaters, one can look at Fedor Zonov for the latest proof. Mishin is just not about that as a coach.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Not the most inspired FS, but also not bad. I liked the step sequence and they changed around some of the places he puts his jumps on, but that gray thing he’s wearing needs to go. I wasn’t upset about the change at worlds because the shirt looked more elevated, but after the costume in the SP this looks beneath him. A better set of programs than what he had last Olympics. And if it doesn’t work they have programs to go back to.
Let’s see. I think it’s still too rough to have the full picture.
The gray suit is a direct reference to Oskar Schindler who Misha is supposed to be. Does Schindler wear anything else in the film that they could use?